suggestions for ATO

Best I have ever used is life reef ato. Add a BRS 50ml per min pump to it and good to go. Love it. I have used the Tunze I'm not a fan. The pump is to fast. And for that kind of cash I shouldn't have to buy a separate pump.

I use the Hydor Smart Level ATO Controller. I love it. Just hook a small pump or doser like Roger mentioned.

I'm using a Tunze and it has been very accurate for me. Tell us more about your system (system volume, budget, Sps, lps, etc...) and maybe we can guide you in the right direction. :beer:

I have used Tunze, Smart ATO, and peristaltic pump with float control (via reef controller). All have worked fine for me. It is important as to where you measure your level in the sump, different locations, give you different results. Mine always keep +/- 1/16 inch in the sump where I have my level line scribed.

I use the JBJ ato. Bought the Toms Aqua lifter with it. Cheap. It's definitely not the nicest setup, but it does get the job done.

Tunze Osmolator is the best IMO. I have used several and built my own as well. Having the electric eye makes the tunze more reliable than any other system that relies on mechanic level sensors. I use Avast Marine Diaphram pumps to pump fresh water for ATO and salt for water changes from the garage up to the tank on the second floor.

I've used a tunze 3155, an autotopoff . com with an aqualifter and an eshopps gravity fed w/float valve, I honestly never had issues with any of them, the gravity one was just as accurate as any of the others and its simple.

+1 been using the aqualifter with my reef angel and float switch for 1.5 years, had a faulty float but since that was replaced havent had any issues. I run a single float with a time out on the pumps run time for a backup safety.

I have also used a simple gravity fed system with a air tight bucket and two tubes. I put a drip valve on the water return tube. That was probably one of the best setups I had accuracy wise, and i really liked the ability two adjust the feed rate so well. The only down side and its a big one is if your bucket develops an air leak all the water is going in the tank.

I have a tunze osmolator and a couple JBJ units. They all work fine, although I like the Tunze quite a bit more.

I've used the JBJ for years. Even though they don't have the best track record, I've never had a problem with the two units I've owned.

I was considering the Hydor because it's pretty cheap and I can get it in two days from Amazon. I'll be going out of town for 10 days and want to be able to see it work before I leave. Thank you all for the advice.

I think mine is a spectrapure with the pressure switch. 10 years a constant user and hasn't failed once.

I was considering the Hydor because it's pretty cheap and I can get it in two days from Amazon. I'll be going out of town for 10 days and want to be able to see it work before I leave. Thank you all for the advice.

I've been using it for years now without a single glitch. Throw a pump in the reservoir bucket, add a flow control valve so that your water level doesn't change too fast and you are done. This thing works great and it is much more reliable than other systems I've seen, as it has no moving parts. It uses the temperature of the water to determine the level.

I left for a two week vacation not too long ago, filled the food dispenser to the top and a 10 gallon jug of RODI water to this thing and it all worked fantastic. Good luck!

Forgot to mention I have a normally open solenoid hooked to my Apex. So if the dry float, conductivity or ph probes go off the solenoid closes the feed to the float valve.

http://www.electricsolenoidvalves.com/categories/plastic-valves/normally-open/1-2-valves.html

If my dry float switch is triggered, which would indicate too much water has entered my return section then the Apex turns on the solenoid which closes the line from my ATO container. If my ph probe or conductivity probe reads below a programmed set point then the Apex will close the same solenoid. Furthermore, I would receive a text message if any of these events became true. However, in a year and a half this has never happened. The beauty of a gravity ATO with failsafes is there is absolutely zero fluctuation. If a drop of tank water is removed, a drop is added. Not to mention it's super cheap and doesn't rely on a pump. I just never liked the idea of a pump sending water to my tank. Personal choice.

Back