Sump help

Happy to walk you through it once you get the overflow. For pump back to tank, I use black vinyl tubing. No reason you can’t use PVC, the tubing is just personal preference.
The black does look better - on the overflow, single or double?

In general - your overflow box will connect to the input side of your sump through the big grey hose (the area with the filter sock). The return pump will connect back up to the tank with similar plumbing that goes over the top edge of the tank.

Once the overflow box is filled with water (and primed) - the pump is turned on. Water is pumped up from the sump into the display tank. From there it overflows back into the sump where it is filtered and then pumped back to the tank. One big loop.

It will make more sense once you start getting setup.

The purpose of the sump is to add extra water volume to the system, allow a place to put extra live rock, heaters and/or other filtrations equipment like a skimmer.

In general - your overflow box will connect to the input side of your sump through the big grey hose (the area with the filter sock). The return pump will connect back up to the tank with similar plumbing that goes over the top edge of the tank.

Once the overflow box is filled with water (and primed) - the pump is turned on. Water is pumped up from the sump into the display tank. From there it overflows back into the sump where it is filtered and then pumped back to the tank. One big loop.

The purpose of the sump is to add extra water volume to the system, allow a place to put extra live rock, heaters and/or other filtrations equipment like a skimmer.
Thanks for your response! Before I had everything hanging off the back of the tank so this is all new to me 🥴

Here’s some pics of my 40. As I mentioned, I drilled the tank for an internal overflow.

1. Overflow and PVC return.
2. General pic of the sump.
3. Overflow tube going into sump/filter sock.
4. Pump and return tubing going back to the tank.
5. Close up of the PVC return.

Yes, I know it’s a little messy, but it works.

Attachments

• 9D62D89A-493D-44F4-A77F-D6E844152379.jpeg
    9D62D89A-493D-44F4-A77F-D6E844152379.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 33
  • F3D003FE-21CF-4206-BD6B-FD8DDD8D924A.jpeg
    F3D003FE-21CF-4206-BD6B-FD8DDD8D924A.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
  • 98AA244D-062A-4A46-98D1-68AFA34CD19F.jpeg
    98AA244D-062A-4A46-98D1-68AFA34CD19F.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
  • 1827005E-DC4C-4FB1-88AD-15C382A05580.jpeg
    1827005E-DC4C-4FB1-88AD-15C382A05580.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 24
  • F8DF0E4B-5416-4823-AAAB-04372AE7C1F9.jpeg
    F8DF0E4B-5416-4823-AAAB-04372AE7C1F9.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 34
Thanks for your response! Before I had everything hanging off the back of the tank so this is all new to me 🥴
It is similar to the hang on filter, but just a bigger loop. Your hang on filter had the pump inside and it drew water from the tank and it overflow back into the tank. The sump is like the hang on filter box, just bigger.

We typically don't use as much direct mechanical filtration (filter floss or cartridges) in a reef aquarium. The live rock acts as a biological filter and the skimmer a mechanical filter. The filter sock in your sump is also a mechanical filter, but you may not want to run it all the time (it has to be cleaned every few days) but instead run it as needed (for example when using a small powerhead to blow detritus off of your rock).

There are no "rules" on how this all needs to be setup and maintained, but there are some well established methods. You will build it piece by piece and learn as you go, some if it trial and error.

We can tackle fish, coral (if that is your plan) and other livestock once you get the water circulating.

I would befriend your local fish store. It is good to have a relationship with the understanding that they usually mean very well, but don't always give the best (or even good) advice or carry the best (or even good) products. There are certainly many exceptions and some amazing local stores out there.

There are no "rules" on how this all needs to be setup and maintained, but there are some well established methods. You will build it piece by piece and learn as you go, some if it trial and error.
Very sound advice. I’ve always said there are many ways to do it right in this hobby, no one way is going to work for everyone.

It is similar to the hang on filter, but just a bigger loop. Your hang on filter had the pump inside and it drew water from the tank and it overflow back into the tank. The sump is like the hang on filter box, just bigger.

We typically don't use as much direct mechanical filtration (filter floss or cartridges) in a reef aquarium. The live rock acts as a biological filter and the skimmer a mechanical filter. The filter sock in your sump is also a mechanical filter, but you may not want to run it all the time (it has to be cleaned every few days) but instead run it as needed (for example when using a small powerhead to blow detritus off of your rock).

We can tackle fish, coral (if that is your plan) and other livestock once you get the water circulating.

I would befriend your local fish store. It is good to have a relationship with the understanding that they usually mean very well, but don't always give the best (or even good) advice or carry the best (or even good) products. There are certainly many exceptions and some amazing local stores out there.

I plan on having coral. I’ve attached a pic of what I had in the past, sorry it’s so blurry, this was before great camera phones! Unfortunately the LFS I used to go went out of business but there a few left in the area I’ve been to I feel like every weekend lol

Attachments

• 09CE6859-3277-4081-B18E-3F2BDBFF2519.jpeg
    09CE6859-3277-4081-B18E-3F2BDBFF2519.jpeg
    46.3 KB · Views: 30
I plan on having coral. I’ve attached a pic of what I had in the past, sorry it’s so blurry, this was before great camera phones! Unfortunately the LFS I used to go went out of business but there a few left in the area I’ve been to I feel like every weekend lol
Looks good.

@Joypaws83 any new pics? Would love to see how the tank is progressing. Nothing I like in this hobby more than a new build.
Not yet. I’m ordering the overflow and another light tomorrow. I’ll get some pics up once they’re in. I think I’m understanding how this all goes together a little more, but I’ll definitely be reaching out for help if not 😆

Not yet. I’m ordering the overflow and another light tomorrow. I’ll get some pics up once they’re in. I think I’m understanding how this all goes together a little more, but I’ll definitely be reaching out for help if not 😆
Awesome, I really look forward to following the progress. There are quite a few very knowledgeable reefers here who are always willing to help.

Awesome, I really look forward to following the progress. There are quite a few very knowledgeable reefers here who are always willing to help.
I actually joined RC back in 2003, got out of the hobby and recently got back into it. I couldn’t remember my old username so I created a new account. I remembered this group always being super helpful so this was the first place I ran back to

I actually joined RC back in 2003, got out of the hobby and recently got back into it. I couldn’t remember my old username so I created a new account. I remembered this group always being super helpful so this was the first place I ran back to
Glad to have you back. I don’t know if it’s possible, but if you remember your old user maybe @JohnL could merge your accounts so you could get your post count back.

Back