SWC Customer Service

rebelson

Horrible customer service IMO. I purchased a 160 cone skimmer in November and everything was fine in the beginning. Fast forward 2 months and the problems begin. No skim is being produced and when I turn the skimmer off it's a pain to get it running again. I literally have to lift the ENTIRE skimmer out of my sump, drain it and put it back in and hope that it works. I wrote a lengthy email to SWC explaining the problems I've been having and received a "call this number" as a response.

The service rep asked basic questions such as tank size, inhabitants, feeding schedule etc. I feed once a day and a small amount at that. His solution to me not seeing any skim in the collection cup was "feed more". Are you kidding me? This is the response of a popular saltwater company? I have messed with the water level, adjusted the air flow, cleaned the entire skimmer last week with vinegar and still nothing. Nothing is clogged and my water level is at a constant 8 1/2 inches. I have the water level in the skimmer set to the neck area/where it meets the collection cup. It fizzes (like soda) but doesn't produce any larger bubbles....any skim is stuck to the neck of the collection cup - nothing over flows in to the cup.

I am seriously considering an upgrade to a RELIABLE skimmer. This piece of garbage is a $275.00 paper weight.

Interesting. I called the number on my SWC-120 and got help. The questions you were asked were appropriate IMO but the answer is a bit odd to say the least. You certaily wouldn't want to feed a tank more than it needs just to produce skimmate. What size tank is this and what is your stock list?

And a response from another forum:

They are known for that, and they have been sued by big companies for patent infringment...they dont care.
This is te same guy who tried to steal Paul Baldassano's design for the eventual Majano Wand....they just make cheap knockoffs of other company products.

I will never buy anything from them!

I had the exact same issue with my 120 cone. I cussed that skimmer up and down after reading such good things about it before buying. Finally posted the question here and was told that despite my feeding daily, that my 4 small fish in 65 gallons of water likely wasn't enough of a load to cause my 120 to produce much (essentially my skimmer is a bit oversized). I do weekly 10% to 20% water changes as well which cuts into skimmate production.

With 3 small fish in a 75 and having a 160 I just don;t think you will see the froth of bubbles you are expection. Maybe a smaller skimmer would but not the skimmer you have.

I have the same skimmer on a 75. Some days I get a lot of crap out of it other days nothing. How long has it been running with out producing anything?

Will

The skimmer is to large for your system. Skimmate on the neck and not in the cup means your bio load is too small for the skimmer, and if it is just fizzing there isn't enough protien build up on the surface of the bubbles because there is just too much surface area to create that buildup bond you need to produce skimmate all the way up the cone and into the cup.

Last edited:
Would you have been happier if they told you there is no solution and that the skimmer (even rated by them for a heavy stocked 90g) is simply too large for your system?

with your bio load and tank size and feeding habits im not seeing the need for a skimmer on your system. esp. since you do weekly w/c's. imho skimmers are for the overfed, overstocked, over, over systems lol.

you sound like you have some solid husbandry going, I would sneebay the skimmer and keep trucking without one.

Buy skimmers with good pumps. Consult Mojo first.

There is nothing wrong AT ALL with the Atman 2500 pump. The issue is with the mesh impeller. I replaced my mesh impeller on my Bubble Magus NAC6 with the needle wheel only impeller.

I never have start up issues, and have very fine white bubbles.

The skimmer is to large for your system. Skimmate on the neck and not in the cup means your bio load is too small for the skimmer, and if it is just fizzing there isn't enough protien build up on the surface of the bubbles because there is just too much surface area to create that buildup bond you need to produce skimmate all the way up the cone and into the cup.

Thank you for the detailed response. This is a step in the right direction as far as why no skim is produced. Thank you.

Would you have been happier if they told you there is no solution and that the skimmer (even rated by them for a heavy stocked 90g) is simply too large for your system?

Yes. I don't think that's too much to ask for.

Well with those fish in that tank you have additional problems.

Thanks for the off-topic response. I'll transfer them to my friends 450 gallon when they get bigger.

Last edited:
Yes. I don't think that's too much to ask for.

So if they would have just said "tough luck there is no solution" you would have been happier with their customer service?

Unlike the above poster I have personal experience with this pump and
I can't speak to your bioload, but I do know that if you replace the meshwheel impeller with a pinwheel you will not longer have start up issues.

This is the part you need for an Atman 2500:

http://socaltropicalfishoutlet.com/catalog/bubble-magus-ph2500-mesh-wheel-impeller-p-962.html

Just make sure to specify PH2500NW.

So if they would have just said "tough luck there is no solution" you would have been happier with their customer service?

Unlike the above poster I have personal experience with this pump and
I can't speak to your bioload, but I do know that if you replace the meshwheel impeller with a pinwheel you will not longer have start up issues.

This is the part you need for an Atman 2500:

http://socaltropicalfishoutlet.com/catalog/bubble-magus-ph2500-mesh-wheel-impeller-p-962.html

Just make sure to specify PH2500NW.

Yes. Point out WHY it's not skimming right, don't tell me to feed more. What kind of solution is that?

Anyway, thanks for the pinwheel link.

I have the 160 and I had the same problem with startup. Instead of removing the skimmer from the sump (which I did at first) I now blow in the hose. It works great but not if you lose power when you are not home.

SkullV

I have not tried the pinwheel yet, Does it produce a lot of skimmate?
V/Tim

Back