Switching from NOPOX to NP PRO and PRO BIO S

If it were me, I would use the section with the light over it, assuming algae fuge, and clean it well and place copious amounts of siporax, as at some point the bacteria will out compete the algae for nutrient reduction, sort of push and pull effect. I find siporax to keep nitrates quite low, and with the use of Phosphate Minus, I am personally running 2.5 on NO3 and 0.02 on PO4, these numbers don't really fluctuate, despite heavy feedings. The Probiotic Method will not work immediately, but after sustained usage and a good home to expand your bio-filtration, you will eventually be able to feed more, which in turn gets more nutrition to your corals. The largest mistake I think we make is to cut feeding based on test results, it is my belief that coral and fish health are directly associated to nutrients into the tank. Ensure you skimmer is set to dry, so that you are not skimming off the NP Pro and Pro Bio S. Thanks for the pictures and information, these are a few things to maybe try assuming it is available to you :)

I'm pretty sure Aquaforest recommends wet skimming with probiotic method

Sorry Wesus,
The Probiotic Method recommends "dry skimming" page 9 in the user guide, top of the page. Cheers :)

Hi Aristocrat,

I think MP block in first compartment with light on and no socks is not best choice. Most likely all pores are clogged by debris and algae.
I would recommend seachem matrix in reactor. I have 2.5 liter Matrix in inexpensive Seaside Aquatic medium reactor

Thank you will look at this [emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it were me, I would use the section with the light over it, assuming algae fuge, and clean it well and place copious amounts of siporax, as at some point the bacteria will out compete the algae for nutrient reduction, sort of push and pull effect. I find siporax to keep nitrates quite low, and with the use of Phosphate Minus, I am personally running 2.5 on NO3 and 0.02 on PO4, these numbers don't really fluctuate, despite heavy feedings. The Probiotic Method will not work immediately, but after sustained usage and a good home to expand your bio-filtration, you will eventually be able to feed more, which in turn gets more nutrition to your corals. The largest mistake I think we make is to cut feeding based on test results, it is my belief that coral and fish health are directly associated to nutrients into the tank. Ensure you skimmer is set to dry, so that you are not skimming off the NP Pro and Pro Bio S. Thanks for the pictures and information, these are a few things to maybe try assuming it is available to you :)

Hi sorry I forgot to ask, do u recommend using a filter sock? I hate it because there is not enough space in the sump. I cannot upgrade to a bigger tank as I'm renting at the moment and the house is elevated, so my floor will not take any extra weight.

Thanks.

Hi Aristocrat,

I think MP block in first compartment with light on and no socks is not best choice. Most likely all pores are clogged by debris and algae.
I would recommend seachem matrix in reactor. I have 2.5 liter Matrix in inexpensive Seaside Aquatic medium reactor

Hey Wesus, so your nitrates are now stable and down? Did they come down after adding the matrix? Do u use a filter sock?

Thanks.

Hey Wesus, so your nitrates are now stable and down? Did they come down after adding the matrix? Do u use a filter sock?

Thanks.

I'm using socks on and off, more off.
With Matrix in reactor NO3 seems to be more stable, but went down before I installed reactor, even too much down with daily np pro and pro bio s dosing

@aristocrat,
I was running 500ml of Purigen in a Aquamaxx XL BioMaxx (Modded) reactor. The purigen was doing great but was soaking up Reef Energy so much and was turning into a bio media before being fully exhausted. Not saying I wont got back to that setup.

Last Monday I got 6 liters of Matrix.
Un-Modified the reactor and put 4 liters into it with a 30 gal an hour flow rate.
Placed the other 2 liters in high flow area of sump.

Do have enough Matrix knowledge: To you know if the Matrix reactor would hold down nitrates?

Sorry...

Do YOU have enough Matrix knowledge: To you know if the Matrix reactor would hold down nitrates?

Sorry...

Do YOU have enough Matrix knowledge: To you know if the Matrix reactor would hold down nitrates?

Lol no not at all mate. Never even heard of it, not sure if its even available in Australia.

Looks like matrix is made of pumice which is just aerated volcanic rock and has no adsorption properties. So this genuinely sounds like surface area enhancer for bacterial growth.

On the other hand media such as zeolite are made for adsorption so it adsorbs nutrients from water so this might quickly adsorb any vitality or build or energy supplements we may add.

So from literature it looks like it enhances denitrification. Not sure of the results though. Would love to try if available in Aus.

Cheers.

Lol no not at all mate. Never even heard of it, not sure if its even available in Australia.

Looks like matrix is made of pumice which is just aerated volcanic rock and has no adsorption properties. So this genuinely sounds like surface area enhancer for bacterial growth.

On the other hand media such as zeolite are made for adsorption so it adsorbs nutrients from water so this might quickly adsorb any vitality or build or energy supplements we may add.

So from literature it looks like it enhances denitrification. Not sure of the results though. Would love to try if available in Aus.

Cheers.

Welp, I'm going to find out! lol

Cheers.

I'm only 8x's over the Seachem's volume per gallon.

If it debunks on nitrates I might be sending you 6 liters "Down Under"!

Back