switching metal halide styles help decide! need pictures!!!

Yeah Dave is a rockstar no doubt! Did you like the kessil's?

Corey

Haha The Kessils looked really cool but I found that they sucked for growth and color. Low low par readings too. I know it was the Kessils because as soon as I added t5s my colors and the entrusting of sps corals rocketed in 2 weeks

That's what I've heard. I just don't understand spending all this money on leds and in order to make them work properly we spend more money only to supplement them with t5's.
That's one thing I like about the halides. Now I do use LED strip bars on my tank, so I can increase the view time for my pleasure.

Corey

Hamilton 14K on M80 is right inbetween the 14K Phoenix and the 10K Ushio. It is a nice bulb.

Which ones? The g3 pros?

I just find that halide seems to grow the coral evenly and rounded without a sparatic pattern. I also find it easier to deal with. Probably because I don't feel the need to tweak it constantly. The growth and color with the g3 was ok but too much floressence vs true color of the corals... But the growth with the halides is just faster... The biggest reason though for switching back to halides though is I like the look a lot better, more natural. Another major major reason is that the support and customers services I get from dave at Hamilton technolog is 10000% second to none. Guy goes out of his way exponentially every single time.

Well said, I don't use leds for thoes.reasons, specifically the flouesence versus the true color the coral should be on certain corals.

Did you try the pre programmed schedules on the G3? I am only asking because I'm am tinkering with going back to leds and someing I definitely want is proven pre programmed programs. To take the guess work out of it for me. Whether it is tried and tested from he manufacture or a hobbyist

Corey

Did you try the pre programmed schedules on the G3? I am only asking because I'm am tinkering with going back to leds and someing I definitely want is proven pre programmed programs. To take the guess work out of it for me. Whether it is tried and tested from he manufacture or a hobbyist

Corey

I did. I used the vivid color program with the best results in regards to color and growth. This was after I tried the natural reef settings. These were both 6 months at a time.
This was also before the new sps programs came out from the coral lab project though. This being said, once I throw a halide up there the change is quiet fast and always positive. At least for sps. I find any lps I ever have LOVE leds

Right. I'm going to need a second light source at some point when things start growing. I currently run halides and the simple cheap no brainer is to just add another one. But the small part of me is like try something else!!! My tank is all frags now so it would still be growing from start so to speak. My fear is he number of units needed to cover my tank.

Corey

Right. I'm going to need a second light source at some point when things start growing. I currently run halides and the simple cheap no brainer is to just add another one. But the small part of me is like try something else!!! My tank is all frags now so it would still be growing from start so to speak. My fear is he number of units needed to cover my tank.

Corey

I've been told from the manufacturer and the retailers that less g4s are needed than g3s.

I hear that too. But I was also told by some ppl that 2 would suffice on my tank. I'm not sure about that, but I could be wrong. 48/48/24 tank, 2 would be very impressive I must admit. While something like 2 orpheks would work. Larger layout is my thought. But the halides work too!!!!

Corey

Back