Synergy reef shadow overflow leak

Ryagon

I have had my 125g set up for about 3 years now. All original plumbing. The Synergy Reef Shadow Overflow had developed multiple cracks where each of the 3 drain pipes tie into. One of the cracks is leaking about a drop every 5 seconds. I siliconed the crap out of it to see if that fixes it but it is still curing so not sure. I had pre-ordered the overflow when it was first announced thinking this would be a good quality overflow. After reading reviews now that I am having issues with it I noticed multiple people having quality issues and cracks.

My question is, if the silicone doesn't stop the leak would it be better to buy another Shadow Overflow or do something else. I believe the holes drilled are 2 1/2" so I am not sure what I could do otherwise. Would another overflow fit those holes or would I have to do a DIY glass external overflow box or something?

Cracks in that area are likely from improperly supporting the pipes. You shouldn't just let them dangle without clamping the pipes to prevent stresses from their own weight and movement.

I doubt that another off the shelf overflow has the same hole pattern so you will likely want to fix what you have or purchase a direct replacement..

Silicone is really a poor choice for fixing it as its not really intended for plastic adhesion at all.. Repairing with an epoxy intended for plastic will easily seal it..

Good thing I have all the pipes attached with metal straps to the stand then.

If those metal straps are supporting the pipes to avoid any vertical movement/weight on the box and arent putting any other stress on the area where the cracks have formed then yes that is a good thing..
I just want to stress how important that can be in preventing this and from keeping it from getting worse...

I hear you. I did put them there specifically to support them as you said. I just think, like others have stated, the plastic is very brittle and prone to easy breakage. I will probably just get another one to fit. I do have some epoxy so I might remove the silicone I added and try that.

Try contacting Exotic Marine Systems.

https://www.exoticmarinesystems.com/collections/overflows-systems

He has been known to custom build boxes to fit the plumbing hole pattern for the Synergy Reef Shadow that many are having issues with. It would be a custom order and may take some time to get, however. Definitely worth an inquiry. I owned a Shadow... wasn’t a fan of their flimsy injection molded construction, so I sold it. I opted for an acrylic Modular Marine ghost style overflow instead... glad I did.

Back