T-5 Bulb replacements

Dkuhlmann

What are good quality T-5 replacement bulbs for my aquarium lighting. My tank will be a reef tank with LPS and soft corals as well as a few fish and a BTA.

Here is what I've got AquaticLife T5 HO and Lunar Light 24"

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...50000154472&cadevice=c?ref=6111&cmpid=03csegb

Here is what it uses. I've got a box of old bulbs but I'm pretty sure I should just trash them as I don't have a clue how old they are or how long they were used. Some do have dark spots on both ends and some on just one end.

Bulbs used
Install Lamps in the following sequence:
1st 10,000°K Lamp, in sockets closest to front of fixture
2nd 420/460 Lamp, in second sockets from front of fixture
3rd 10,000°K Lamp, in third sockets from front of fixture
4th 420/460 Lamp, in sockets closest to back of fixture

Last edited:
Dark spots on the end mean the filament on that end is bad and the bulb should be disposed of properly. FYI, fluorescent bulbs contain a small amount of mercury so its best to dispose of them properly. I take mine to work and give them to the maintenance department who have a special container just for bulbs.

Personally, I prefer ATI bulbs. Most folks run (2) Blue+ and (2) Coral+ but when I tried it, the combo was just slightly too blue for my taste. Next time around I think I will go back to (2) Aquablue Special, (1) Blue+ and (1) Coral+. One of the nice things about T5 is that you can mix and match to find the colors you want without breaking the bank.

Good Luck.

The dark spots also indicate the wrong type of ballasts being used. Most ballasts are rapid start, which does the most damage to bulbs. Programmed start is the best type, and will increase bulb life up to 50%.

The list I gave came from the link for the light. All of the bulbs that were given to me with the light are in my opinion bad bulbs as the black spots show. Yes I'm familiar with T-5 lighting as we have it in our warehouse, I've just not had it in an aquarium before and was wondering about brand and bulb choice replacement.

Thanks for your information. The set that's in it now are new bulbs, I just want to find some replacements to have on hand.

RE, thanks for the brand tips as well as coloring. There are so many to choose from it's mind boggling. LOL

Back