t-5 vs led ????

Adam I was going to say it sounds like you need to take a tour of everyone that replied here so you can see how people are applying their methods. How you perceive everyone's success with their current setups.
It looks like you are in Tennessee though so that may be a little far. If you moved to the Tampa area feel free to message me if you want to see what I am doing. Most people here are pretty open and inviting.
Ted_C I am way passed jealous. Tank is looking good.

I've tried pretty much everything and every time I circle back around to an ATI unit.

8 bulb ATI, set it and forget it.

I like the customization of some led fixtures but hard to give up the t5's with my sps. I run a t5 54x8 but have cut it back to 6 bulbs. Everything is steady and beautiful coloration now. I will be adding t5 back into the mix when new system gets going. I ran kessils solo, different types and seemed to always add t5. Same with just t5s. Lol. I believe you can be successful with "either or", solo and hybrid.

My future plans on lighting is 3 Kessils with 2 reefbrites to fill in the shaded areas.... I believe the issues peeps are having with Leds is shading....So with 2 reefbrites front and back should take care of the shading.....Plus both leds I can control with my Archon....Also I Believe that you need to take par readings before your switch and try and match the readings with your new leds....

I had t5 and loved the color and growth. I switched to radions and wasnt as happy. When I moved and set up a new tank i stuck with the radions and went with a shorter photoperiod with much less white. I run more of a deep water 22k spectrum for no more than 9 hours and corals respond well.

I dont want the higher electric bill or to mess with changing bulbs, so I decided that the trade off was to go with corals that respond well to radions. Obviously, people cant easily make that compromise with an existing system

Looking for some advice my tank is 48x24x12 and looking for lights. LED VS T5 VS METAL HALIDE. Something cheap and proven to work. I keep LPS and SPS. Looking for particular fixtures, brands, bulb combos etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i moved to TN 3 years ago. i'm still on here because i've been apart of this community for almost 10 years and trust the thoughts of a lot of the guys on here. here in TN i dont have the hobbist i had there in Tampa so i like to keep up with you guys. i wish i where there. 3 years out of the hobby trying to get going again. lol........ i'd love to go see all these tanks.

Bryan,

What is your bulb combo in the ATI 8 bulb?

Sorry, was out of town all week.

k1nPcwJ.jpg

good thing is is thats its a new system so i can go either way. i was looking at going with 3hamilton 2X80w t-5 setup which has an led strip built in but they have 2 cords per unit and wifey doesnt want 6 cords hang around. that what im going with if i cant figure out something else but i gotta make her happy in the process.

i was thinking of going with a single kessil AP700 but i have to hang it 16" off the tank to get a 48" spread on a 60" tank. 2 would be better but i dont need to spend that kind of money when the t-5 option exists.

Back