T5/LED combo is the future?! Your opinion on BRS lighting review and choice

moatdaddy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTuj5MJCgpc

Episode 19-21 cover T5, Halide, and LED. In this episode they make a choice that faces many reefers. I find the consensus, the actual in depth analysis, and only slight bias refreshing. My only complaint is they limited the review to the products they sell. There is no mention of knock offs or Chinese products for lighting and well... they are running a business. With that being my only complaint i have to say i completely agree with their logical choice.

T5/LED combo.

T5 for shadowing, spectrum, blue lighting coloration, and reliability in great coral growth.
LED for control, spectrum, shimmer, and long term no bulb replacement means less long term costs.

I would do it differently than they did by going with a cheaper LED. Dont get me wrong, I love the kessil AP700 but i cannot afford one, disabled veteran here on fixed income, so i am okay with testing the knockoff.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Populargrow...Royal-Blue-Fish-Coral-Tank-LED-/201465783503?

Then i would by one of these for each side.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/48-sun-blaze-t5-ho-lighting-fixture-sunlight-supply.html

ATI bulbs of course, blue plus probably, would depend on coloration of the led in the tank for my bulb choice.

I think this LED in the middle of a 4 foot tank flanked by two sets of t5ho on the side will give a nice spread of light and options.

What do you guys and girls think of the brs video review and of my cheap alternative choice.

Brandon

Right now, I'm running a BuildMyLED 14,000K strip between pairs of T5s retrofit kits and LOVE IT. The BML strips have a lens that really blends the colors well so I get the color pop of the LED without the disco ball issues.

For T5s, I use a 4-bulb combo of (2) Blue+, (1) Aquablue Special, and (1) Purple+ with the Blue+ split between the two different plugs.

I am firmly in the T5/LED combo camp. I've had great success with my Gen3 Radion/T5 combo on my old 12, and am loving my T5/Kessil combo on my new 180:

FB_IMG_1453124599831_zpswey5idd7.jpg

Based on that BRS video I decided that T5/LED was the way to go. I have a AP700 on my current 50 gallon tank. I'm about to upgrade to a 4 foot 75 gallon tank. I can't afford another AP700 to cover the tank so i purchased a 2 fixture ATI bulb strip. I'll probably add another soon.

I'm still trying to figure out how to make it look good as I don't have a canopy and it's a rimless tank.

I'm also 100% in agreement that the best combination for price, heat reduction and functionality.

I built my own out of an Odyssea 4 bulb unit. I just removed the two center bulbs and place two LED pucks there. I'm even growing SPS sticks these days.

Also, Terry... I love how that light looks. Great work.

LED puck on the heatsink:
upload_-1.jpg

LED inside the reflector cutout.
upload_-1.jpg

The light with all modules on.
upload_-1.jpg

If you don't want the light on top of the tank, you can do what I'm trying to find the time to do. This would be the end product.

IMG_1889.jpg

IMG_1931.jpg

Been thinking about this topic alot recently... I know I want some sort of T5/LED combo just trying to decide between T5 with LED supplements or other way around.

Currently running Reefbreeders LED over my 4ft tank but not too happy with the spread and SPS growth.

Debating between
1) ATI 8x54 fixture with Reefbrite LED
2) Two Hydra 52 and supplement with 4 T5 - Saves on electricity and bulb change vs 8 bulb ATI

Leaning towards option 1 since its proven but still unsure.

Led/t5 is the future. Heres is a set up i did.

Attachments

• SAM_0179.jpg
    SAM_0179.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2153.jpg
    IMG_2153.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2154.jpg
    IMG_2154.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 0
4 Kessil a360we and 4 T5 on my new 120. T5's are ATI Blue+, Coral+, Purple+ and another Blue+ from front to back. Kessils sit in the middle. I've run similar in the past with success. The new tank has a few coral frags from my old tank and to this point colors look great. Too early to tell how growth will be. Par on my sand bed is easily 200-250 with kessils at about 50-60% intensity and color at about 50%. T5's are on 2 Hamilton Aruba Sun fixtures which have led moonlight strips on them as well.

Attachments

• 20160126_170528.jpg
    20160126_170528.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1
I like to visit the sps forum here and when I look at all the super amazing tanks. I can't recall one that started with small frags to large colonies that was led alone. I pulled the trigger. 8 t5 bulb ati. My inner cheap bastard screemed retro or cheap Chinese t5 the add reflects. The rationalist who say these amazing tanks ATI lights make won me over. So for now I have said no to LED. Its for a top down sps only frag tank build so no concern for shimmer. Mainly growth and color. This is more of an experiment for me than a living room display.

I'm tempted to go LED/T5. Have been pretty set on a Hamilton Cebu Sun fixture but I do already have one Kessil A360W. 2 more Kessil's and an 8x80w ATI SunPower and I'd have a pretty nice setup for about the same price. Decisions, decisions...

FWIW, I bought two popular grows. I am sending them back tomorrow. Had horrible coral growth under them The mars aqua has done much better. Also when I received the units the plugs were DOA. Emailed the seller they promised me new plugs, but they never came. I should have taken it for a sign. Anyhow, they leave in the morning back to where they came from hopefully so I can get a refund. My halide T5 combo is back up and running.

I'm also 100% in agreement that the best combination for price, heat reduction and functionality.

I built my own out of an Odyssea 4 bulb unit. I just removed the two center bulbs and place two LED pucks there. I'm even growing SPS sticks these days.

Also, Terry... I love how that light looks. Great work.

LED puck on the heatsink:
upload_-1.jpg

LED inside the reflector cutout.
upload_-1.jpg

The light with all modules on.
upload_-1.jpg

If you don't want the light on top of the tank, you can do what I'm trying to find the time to do. This would be the end product.

IMG_1889.jpg

IMG_1931.jpg
Sorry for reposting the entire post, however what are the name of those swing arms you mounted your light on?

T5/LED for me as well. DIY modified TEK 6 bulb with Rapid LED CREE Actinic Supplement Kit. Also added fans for cooling both the T5 bulbs/Ballasts and the LEDs/Drivers.

F6EC98B5-B2CA-4ED6-92C7-A8B71A72D464_zpslbz9pgr6.jpg

0A53135E-DBD2-431A-BE27-9F349DDE8CBC_zps8z0sosua.jpg

4DCCF070-0C26-4318-B126-37BE48A387D6_zps8jxrvqeb.jpg

I've been interested in the COB fixtures. One thing I don't like is that the blues, reds, and greens share the same channel.

Back