T5 or LED lightening system

jmil08

Need help or suggestions for possible new lightening system. Im currently running aquaticlife lightening system with 6 T5 and lunar lights. I need a strong LED's system so that my corals at the bottom of my tank get efficient lightening. My tank dimension is 48 inches in length and 30 inches in height 150 gallons.

All suggestion would be helpful

My lighting system for the T5 are getting old (5 yrs) and I don't think they will be around for too long, so Im going to be force to get an entire new system LED only. I have tones of zoas, acans, chalices and a few sps.

You can get good growth from all kinds of leds from the cheap box D120 to radion pros depends on the application I have d120 growing everything with no problem you just dont get the controlability !

I am no expert on LED. I have tried a lot of different led fixtures and I have not been impressed with the cheeper fixtures for color on sps corals. but have been good color and growth on the corals u listed that u have. Even on the cheeper fixtures. Do u have a budget in mind?

U can spend from $400-$1600 to light that tank with leds

I am no expert on LED. I have tried a lot of different led fixtures and I have not been impressed with the cheeper fixtures for color on sps corals. but have been good color and growth on the corals u listed that u have. Even on the cheeper fixtures. Do u have a budget in mind?

I had radions and think they are great fixtures. However I personally had challenges with SPS. Great for LPS and Zoa's.

So when I see people successful growing SPS with great color I am in awe and more power to them.

From my experience, T5's & MH's are easier for SPS. They blanket light as oppose to spot lighting.

You will spend more money on T5's over the long run - but depending what you are trying to grow in your tank that may be worth it to you.

My attitude is, this hobby can be expensive.

So if you pay an additional few $100 with bulbs and utilities over 5 years but you are successful with coral management, who cares.

Enjoy the hobby for what it is.

Personally, I would suggest you get a nice ATI T5 fixture and add a few LED strips.

LED's also appear dim. So depending on your perception of viewing the tank should be taken into consideration. If you crank them up, you will risk bleaching your corals. (again learning curve)

I agree with Roger and Asmodyus. I am currently using a standard 4 bulb T5 light, but I plan on going back to my DIY LED system, but incorporating 2 T5 bulbs into the setup. I agree that T5 bulbs bring a nice color and spread into the aquarium, but they also lack shimmer, flexible adjustment and generate a bit more heat.

Still, they are proven technology and should be used in combination with LEDs whenever possible.

I would suggest going the DIY route, but if that is not an option, I would use one of the suggestions above from the experts. I have never used off the shelf LEDs. Therefore, I have no idea how good they are.

LEDs are fine, but don't follow the coverage recommendation. For instance my 48in tank was recommended 2 radions. I bought 2 radion pros. Cranked it up and got burnt spot. Bought a 3rd radion and reduce by 20%. Hit the spot. Good growth. GREAT colors. Most people will be spending less on T5s and metal halides since they'll probably be in the hobby for a year or 2 or 3. The other remaining will probably upgrade to latest and greatest.

LEDs is a luxury. Don't expect any cost savings.

LEDs are fine, but don't follow the coverage recommendation. For instance my 48in tank was recommended 2 radions. I bought 2 radion pros. Cranked it up and got burnt spot. Bought a 3rd radion and reduce by 20%. Hit the spot. Good growth. GREAT colors. Most people will be spending less on T5s and metal halides since they'll probably be in the hobby for a year or 2 or 3. The other remaining will probably upgrade to latest and greatest.

LEDs is a luxury. Don't expect any cost savings.

Great color on what type of corals?

The money is not the problem....the only problem I'm running into is the coverage on the depth of the tank. Most led (radion xr40w pro) only cover the depth of 24 inch tank but my tank is 30 inches in depth and I don't think that my acans, brains, lobo etc will get efficient lights.

I agree with Roger and Asmodyus. I am currently using a standard 4 bulb T5 light, but I plan on going back to my DIY LED system, but incorporating 2 T5 bulbs into the setup. I agree that T5 bulbs bring a nice color and spread into the aquarium, but they also lack shimmer, flexible adjustment and generate a bit more heat.

Still, they are proven technology and should be used in combination with LEDs whenever possible.

I would suggest going the DIY route, but if that is not an option, I would use one of the suggestions above from the experts. I have never used off the shelf LEDs. Therefore, I have no idea how good they are.

I would like to try the diy Kessil A360WE Controllable LED but I don't know too much them to build fixture for them because I have a lid on my cabinet for my tank

What do you mean about a happy medium? T5, led or both!

Both Led and T5 that way you get great coverage. 4+ T5's and what ever led fixture you want I myself am doing 3 150's and 6 T5's. You could probably do kessil 360's and 4 t5's or even some AI lights like couple 26's with T5's

Back