T5 or MH for 60G cube question

Nuuze

Hi All,

I trying to get lighting ideas for a 60G cube that is 24"x24"x24".

4 24w T5 or 250w MH?

I'm thinking about a LPS, softie, zoo tank but may end up with SPS. Let me know what you think...

TIA!

Nuuze, that is the exact dims of my existing tank that your beautiful corals went into. The 250g is getting delayed. I have a 175w MH with 4 24" VHO's, and it can handle everything pretty well, although the heat can be an issue. I do have a plenum in the tank, so from the top of the sand to the top of the tank is only about 18". If I were to run a BB or SSB, and were setting up the system today to handle anything, I would use a 250w MH and 2 24" HO T5's for Dawn/Dusk and supplementation.

Jeremy

I think you know what my opinion would be :)

And if you wanted to shift more to sps down the road you could always add another ballast and a bulb or two. Although for a 24" deep tank if you did go T5 I would use nothing less than an IC reflector for optimal penetration.

-Justin

I'd do the MH on a lumenarc, but you may have trouble fitting actinic supplements in on the sides. With a bluer bulb you may not need it though.

I would run a 400 watt MH on a lumenarc 4 with a 20K bulb. I am not the sharpest tool in the shed however.

I had a feeling you guys would say MH. :) I just wanted to get some opinions. So I'm thinking a 250w MH fixture, may have to go bluer bulb if I don't have any T5. But if I can find a fixture with T5 built in then that's even better, then I can suppliment actinics and have dawn/dusk.

Here's a pic of the tank I'm picking up. It has been drilled in the center of the tank with overflow. The overflow has not been glued yet.
full-60.jpg

stand-60.jpg

top-60.jpg

Don't buy any premade fixtures. Get a lumenarc so that it'll light the whole tank evenly. Center center overflow, seems like that tank's made to view from all sides. Is that how you plan to use it? If you buy a fixture most of the light will be lost on the overflow should you position it in middle to light the whole tank. 24" T5s are also really weak in wattage compared to vho's.

Thanks! I'll think about the lumenarcs. I kinda want T5's along with the MH for longer display time before and after the halides. but we'll see...

Any more ideas will be greatly appreciated!

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10451760#post10451760 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xia
24" T5s are also really weak in wattage compared to vho's.

This statement is kinda misleading. It is also true that a 100w incandescent is really weak in wattage compared to a phoenix 70w MH bulb. A 65w power compact flourescent is also weak compared to a 100w incandescent in terms of wattage...

-Justin

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10451760#post10451760 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xia
24" T5s are also really weak in wattage compared to vho's.

Wattage means nothing really...PAR means everything and T5s with individual reflectors blow away VHOs.

Hey Nuuze

Have you seen the italian tanks over on the sps section?It's pretty crazy... I personally would go T5s.

I don't remember where I saw the report. But the Giessemann however had a very poor rating as far as light output was concerned. Which shocked me. Expensive product, with no quality whatsoever. If I remember where I saw the comparisons I will be sure to put it out here for you.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10468231#post10468231 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nuuze
Would 4 24w T5's be enough for the 24" depth for the cube?

Paird with IC reflectors, easily. duece22 had a 24"T5 system although I believe he was running six his tank was predominantly sps, so 4 would definately suffice for a mixed softy/lps tank.

TeeLapia: I think your confusing quality with performance. Geismann fixtures are the epitome of quality, the performance of there MH fixtures however does not justify the means and expense.

-Justin

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10468175#post10468175 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Nuuze
So how would a 4 24w T5 Tek light compare to a 250w MH for SPS?

Has anyone seen the Giesemann Nova II fixture? I'm wondering how the light spread is so the center overflow will not blow most of the light.

http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5...-Output_Fixture_with_Bulbs_by_Sunlight_Supply

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~GL1123.html

It doesn't compare...but how does 250W MH compare to 1000W MH? Why not just put that much on your tank? ;)

Get what I'm saying? It isn't so much about how it compares, it is more about what you "need". I currently am running MH on my 125 gallon tank, but my 70 gallon "somewhat cube" is going to have 4 x 24W T5 (I might go with 5 or 6 though). IMO, I will get maybe a little less growth, but not a substantial difference. But I will also get the benifits of having cooler lights and my corals will have much nicer coloration.

for refrence:here is a 2x2 cube i have had for a few months. i have mostly lps and softies. i have a monti cap that likes the light and i plan to lightly stock easy sps. it has a hamolton 250w fixture with a 20k mega chrome, and 2x65 actinic pc's. my WB was not set right so it looks very blue.
214.jpg

Last edited:
Back