T5 Supplement For my LEDs

Why the T5 if you have quality full spectrum led lights?

"quality" open to interpretation. Even the best well known and proven MH lights were usually supplemented with Actinic or what ever. One of the best manufactures out there of aquarium lighting, even sells an LED with T5 supplements.

Will LED lighting get there? sure, but right now it is an easy way to supplement for color, or a specific spectrum you may want to enhance.

Curious to know what you think "quality" is.

mike

On the 300, only a few months because new build. But I have a year on the 120. Great fixture and super reflector. Linkable and 5 min install. I love them. Mind you they are 8 inches above water so I don't get much saltwater on them (just humidity from tank). So far, just fine.

mike
Thanks, what is everyone running bulb color wise?

I have a diy full spectrum build on a storm controller. I have some violets, "ocean coral white" clusters, and a 2:1 rb:white (can't remember off hand which white)

I like whiter light with a blueish tint, don't prefer the windex look all day. I have only ever used the cf that came on my first tank a biocube14, got rid of those before my second bulb change. I ran a white and an actinic bulb.. From there went to leds no I have no idea on the t5 bulbs...

A led progamable with a high par value that has several channels that inculdes one the can customize actinic levels to deliver a 12k to a blue 20k hue.
My question is what exactly are the T5 giving you? Color, grow, vigor?

A led progamable with a high par value that has several channels that inculdes one the can customize actinic levels to deliver a 12k to a blue 20k hue.
My question is what exactly are the T5 giving you? Color, grow, vigor?

Well it's not my setup but to answer that question it would depend on ur choice of t5 bulbs. The thing about led is the light it puts out is simply a very narrow range of light in spectrum. Even if u have 6 different channels of led u literally hit 6 nm of light spectrum. That's nothing for range. A t5 or mH either single bulb will hit a wide range of spectrum. That giving any of the above that u asked about from color to growth as a benefit depending on the bulbs u choose.

Roger

I'm working with a radion g2 pro and 4x39w T5. It,s a DIY with a Blau 8x39w. I removed the 4 central T5. I post 2 pics. The tank is 36x28x22 and with T5 I have improve the spread a lot.
View attachment 315235
uploadfromtaptalk1429522813860.jpg

Thats a nice looking light set up. Would love to see some pics of your tank too, looks beautiful.
Yeah! Of course but it is not as beautiful as I would like...it is a mixed reef. However, I want to convert it into a sps dominant. I am thinking in doing some changes. I will do a post looking for your advise and opinion...;)
They are with only led and sorry for the quality...

uploadfromtaptalk1429563051762.jpg
6be5fd9049e9fa323527edd620cd00d6.jpg

96358c71a5544cb55dd69a42e6714e41.jpg

There is a post here if a 250 gal. Thread is called Mo's reef. It is all T-5 lights. Check it out. A cocktail of many bulbs. It has me rethinking everything. Stunning look.

After thinking about this for a couple of months today I pulled the trigger on (2) 36" Sunblaster t5 fixtures. link here: http://www.amazon.com/Sunblaster-904297-NanoTech-Fixture-Reflector/dp/B00AKKUD3Y/ref=sr_1_6?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1429579971&sr=1-6&keywords=sun+blaster

Currently running 2 360AWe's over a standard 90 drilled, primarily sps. Currently lights are 8 3/4" over the water, I was hoping for opinions on bulbs for the t5's. Now I run the Kessil's at 55% color, 60% intensity peek. I am really disappointed with the shadows on the corals. If you don't put directly under the light the far side of the coral is completely shadowed. However I am unsure at this time of what bulbs to use for these fixtures. I was thinking about 2 blue plus bulbs.

Thanks for any input.

After thinking about this for a couple of months today I pulled the trigger on (2) 36" Sunblaster t5 fixtures. link here: http://www.amazon.com/Sunblaster-904297-NanoTech-Fixture-Reflector/dp/B00AKKUD3Y/ref=sr_1_6?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1429579971&sr=1-6&keywords=sun+blaster

Currently running 2 360AWe's over a standard 90 drilled. Currently lights are 8 3/4" over the water, I was hoping for opinions on bulbs for the t5's. Now I run the Kessil's at 55% color, 60% intensity peek. I am really disappointed with the shadows on the corals. If you don't put directly under the light the far side of the coral is completely shadowed. I really want to eliminate the shadows. However I am unsure at this time of what bulbs to use for these fixtures.

Thanks for any input.

Are u adding this to the led? What color do u like to see in the tank more white or blue or middle?

More light brighter most white go with ati aqua blue special

Middle ground would be ati coral blues bulb

Most blue most growth for coral ati blue plus bulb not very bright to the eye

Most color ati actinic not bright at all but sait to create most color in the corals. Slow growth.

Hope that helps a bit for u to make a choice.

Any combo of them will work just depends what u want.

The only 2 that I would use the same bulb for both slots is the coral plus or the blue plus. If u use the aqua blue or actinic use another bulb with it that is different.

Roger

Roger, thank you very much for the input, your breakdown was exactly what I have been searching for.
Are u adding this to the led? What color do u like to see in the tank more white or blue or middle?
Yes I am adding the 2 t5's to the Kessils.

Most blue most growth for coral ati blue plus bulb not very bright to the eye

This sounds like the most appealing option at this time.

Next question:
In an attempt to not stress anyone out, any suggestion on how to acclimate the new lights? Should I start low photo period on the t5's and increase or decrease the Kessil intensity?

Thanks for the input.

Roger, thank you very much for the input, your breakdown was exactly what I have been searching for.

Yes I am adding the 2 t5's to the Kessils.

This sounds like the most appealing option at this time.

Next question:
In an attempt to not stress anyone out, any suggestion on how to acclimate the new lights? Should I start low photo period on the t5's and increase or decrease the Kessil intensity?

Thanks for the input.

Always a good idea. Start with 2 hrs a day with the t5 and don't change the LEDs. Add 15 min every 3-5 days till u reach the photo period u want

Always a good idea. Start with 2 hrs a day with the t5 and don't change the LEDs. Add 15 min every 3-5 days till u reach the photo period u want

Roger, thank you for the guidance on this. Appreciate the effort

Currently running 2 360AWe's over a standard 90 drilled, primarily sps. Currently lights are 8 3/4" over the water, I was hoping for opinions on bulbs for the t5's. Now I run the Kessil's at 55% color, 60% intensity peek. I am really disappointed with the shadows on the corals. If you don't put directly under the light the far side of the coral is completely shadowed. However I am unsure at this time of what bulbs to use for these fixtures. I was thinking about 2 blue plus bulbs.

Thanks for any input.

How are you liking these fixtures so far? What bulbs did you end up going with and did you like the new color that it provided? It's only been two months, but can you notice any difference in coral growth?

I was thinking about picking up the 48" today, just trying to decide if the spread will be enough on a 6' tank. I wish they had a 60".

How are you liking these fixtures so far? What bulbs did you end up going with and did you like the new color that it provided? It's only been two months, but can you notice any difference in coral growth?

I was thinking about picking up the 48" today, just trying to decide if the spread will be enough on a 6' tank. I wish they had a 60".

I like the fixtures for sure, your 48 on the 60" tank is the exact same ratio as my 36" fixtures on the 48" tank. I went with the blue plus, and honestly I absolutely love the way the tank looks when the t5's are on, so much so I now don't much care for the way the tank looks when the t5's are off. I am ever so slowly moving times on the 2 systems (led/t5) my goal now is to run the t5's for the entire light cycle and have the leds come on ramp up and down for an overall shorter led cycle.
As far as growth, I don't honestly know, over the last 6 months or so all my husbandry skills have definably come way up, so for the first time Ive past the "things went well for 90 days and took a turn" cycle I was perpetually caught in for a long time. I believe the t5's do bring something to the table that the leds are missing. All my SPS are growing although my green slimmer looks amazing but has not grown 1mm in the 6months Ive had him. (no idea why its not growing)
My personal feeling is that the led/t5 combo is a solid set up. I'm very happy with the look of the tank, and the Sunblaster makes adding light a 5 min job.

Back