Tang Advice

bigdaddy234

Hey guys , just wanted your opinion on something , would you say it would be ok to have a powder brown,powder blue and a yellow tang together in a 90 gallon?...i know tangs dont mix well but do you think you might get lucky and it would work out?..if a 90 is not sufficient what size would you recommend?

this tank will start out as a live rock tank and slowly become a reef tank.

Lightsluvr

Tangaroa to 500 gallons
Premium Member
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15493650#post15493650 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Znut Reefer
I would get either the powder blue or the brown but not both. They will not get along.

Agree with Znut. It helps if you put them in a new tank at the same time... there will be posturing for territory, but they usually seem to work things out in their little pea brains... :rolleyes:

LL

Gwynhidwy

Meat Popsicle
I would get only the yellow or the powder brown, not both. I wouldn't keep a powder blue in anything less than a 240G due to their aggressive tendencies. Having seen mature powder blues in action, I don't think I would try to keep a powder brown with one.

Toddrtrex

Premium Member
Out of those choices I would only suggest the Yellow.

What "powder brown" are you referring too? Acanthurus nigricans or A. japonicus ? Many years ago I had a A. nigricans in a 75, did great for the first 2 years, and then became too big/mean for a 4 foot tank.

bigdaddy234

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15494012#post15494012 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Gwynhidwy
I would get only the yellow or the powder brown, not both. I wouldn't keep a powder blue in anything less than a 240G due to their aggressive tendencies. Having seen mature powder blues in action, I don't think I would try to keep a powder brown with one.

240 Gallon? really? everybody ive asked has said a 90 will be fine

wickedfish

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15495381#post15495381 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bigdaddy234

Yeah, but depending on the size. If you get it small, it will be fine in a 90. But what are you going to do after a year when it grows bigger and bigger and bigger, haha. Your going to want to upgrade. Do your research on size and one more suitable for your tank even after a year. My opinion no way can you put all 3 tangs in a 90. Waste of money in the long run. If i was you i would just get a yellow tang. Nice hardy tang wouuld be a puple for your tank.

bigdaddy234

what would you suggest as a absolute minimum tank size for say a yellow tang , powder blue tang , copper band butterfly, flame Angelfish and say a few smaller things like a couple clowns, royal gramma and some green chromis.

Thanks for your help

zooty

Fish Warden
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15496514#post15496514 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bigdaddy234
what would you suggest as a absolute minimum tank size for say a yellow tang , powder blue tang , copper band butterfly, flame Angelfish and say a few smaller things like a couple clowns, royal gramma and some green chromis.

Thanks for your help

maybe a 180 but the yellow and powder blue are both aggressive and probably will be in a tank that size too.

FWIW-I wouldn't even waste my time with a yellow tang

MattL

I would absolutely not try a Powder Blue or Powder Brown in a 90gal tank.

I say this from personal experience. I kept a Powder Brown in a 90 once, and a Powder Blue in a 125. Both had to be moved to larger tanks, and only after disease and the death of other fish.

If you are serious about keeping powder blues or powder browns, neither of which I recommend to hobbyists, then I first suggest researching them for an extensive period of time, and then I suggest buying the right sized tank. You need to do much more research on these two species. you are not only dealing with some of the more fragile tangs, but some of the most aggressive and intolerant of conspecifics.

You can try a yellow in a 90gal tank. It should be fine for a long while, especially if you get one small. But if you are serious about keeping tangs, you will need a large tank.

Matt:cool:

bigdaddy234

Yellow tangs just seem boring compared to a powder blue :(

could you keep a powder blue tang , copper band butterfly, flame Angel , couple clowns and some chromis in a 135 if everything was perfect ( water conditions, food, hiding places etc etc)?

MattL

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15498023#post15498023 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bigdaddy234
Yellow tangs just seem boring compared to a powder blue :(
If you're still seeing surgeonfish this way, then I suggest avoiding them altogether.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15498023#post15498023 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bigdaddy234
...could you keep a powder blue tang , copper band butterfly, flame Angel , couple clowns and some chromis in a 135 if everything was perfect ( water conditions, food, hiding places etc etc)?
First, your conditions won't be ideal. Don't even think they will. Never set about acquiring a fish that can only be kept in "ideal" circumstances.

Second, I really feel you need to do a lot more research on these fish. Copper bands are timid, difficult to keep, and often difficult to feed fish. Putting him in with one of the most aggressive surgeonfish is a real bad idea.

Third, no, a 135 won't house a powder blue tang forever. Mine lasted in my 125 for two years, and he was bought small. He doubled in size in that time to be over 6", and took his dissatisfaction at being kept in a small tank out on my other fish, killing more than one.

Finally, why did you pick a 135? You're still way too small for keeping the tangs you want to keep. Just get a decent sized tank. It's that simple.

BrianD

Sir Brian The Lenient
Staff member
RC Mod
Be aware that even with a decent sized tank, your odds of keeping the powder blue alive aren't the greatest.

bigdaddy234

well i dont think im going to keep tangs then, sounds like you would need ALOT of cash to setup something that would support them, im going to go a totaslly different route now, small reef tank with just a few small fish. Maybe something in the 30-55 gal area

snorvich

Team RC member
Team RC
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15495381#post15495381 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bigdaddy234

You need to find different people to ask :D

MattL

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15500054#post15500054 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bigdaddy234
well i dont think im going to keep tangs then, sounds like you would need ALOT of cash to setup something that would support them,...
Exactly!

And that's why half the posts in this forum, if not more, or dealing with tang problems. You certainly hit the nail on the head with your assessment.

Tangs are very cheap fish to acquire, and are usually sold as cute juveniles. And to top it off, they are open water swimmers, brightly colored, and active.

Unfortunately, as you very correctly noted, the hidden secret is that to keep them long term, you really need a large amount of money.

People will buy a $50 Powder Blue tang for their 55gal well before they buy the Emperor Angelfish.
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15500054#post15500054 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bigdaddy234
well i dont think im going to keep tangs then, sounds like you would need ALOT of cash to setup something that would support them,...
...Maybe something in the 30-55 gal area [/B][/QUOTE]That's a very good size.

Black Mammoth

Premium Member
Powder Blues are really pretty and cool fish...but if they don't like another fish, they can be really nasty. If you really want a tang you might be able to try a Bristletooth Tomini Tang, Kole, and possibly even a Blue Hippo. They are on the peaceful side and tend not to get too big....well except for the Hippo...he will out grow your 90g.

bigdaddy234

Thanks Matt, Brain and to everyone for helping me make the right choice...kinda upset i cant keep tangs but i cant afford a setup like that and this way its better for me and the fish, and hey, its not so bad , one day when i got the money right? lol.

Ill be making a new thred in the equipment section of the forums. if anyone wants to help me pick out the gear for my new tank i'd really appreciate it. Thanks.