Tang compatability with vlamingii

MMM33732

I've had a vlamingii tang for about 2 years now. He's been great. I've held off adding other tangs out of fear of aggression. What other common types of tangs can be mixed with a vlamingii. Its in a 125g display. I'd like to add 2 more tangs. I know some would say that's pushing it on a 6' tank, but that's the plan.

Vlamingii (or really any of the Naso genus tangs) are gentle giants, and likely won't show any aggression towards any new comers IME at least. I had a vlamingii for a little over a year in my 120g (before I donated him to a 600g reef) and not once did that fish show aggression towards anybody. They are heavy bioload fish, *especially* when full grown, so for that reason alone I would say avoid adding other tangs with him in that 125g, this species reaches 24"+. I cringe when I see LFS tanks loaded with baby vlamingii tangs, knowing that only a very small fraction of hobbyists have tanks that can accommodate their adult size and bioload. They're such sweet fish with such endearing personalities, like aquatic dogs, and I don't even want to stress myself out with contemplating the fate of most of these $25 juvenile vlamingiis that I see for sale :facepalm:

I'm not worried about the additional bioload. Space wise, I realize they do get quite large and am already planning a larger tank in a few years. What other types genuses mix well aside from other nasos?

The vlamingii will look silly and end up living a horrible life in a 6ft tank unless the other dimension your leaving out is that it's 7ft wide... They get 3ft easily. Saw one in a 400g tank in Florida and it could barely move, it was sad.

You can give him to me and I will put the vlamingii in my 7x6x2ft 625g this summer if you would like

Back on topic here. What types of tangs will play nicely with a small(4") vlamingii aside from other nasos?

A bristle tooth and that's it in a 120g. Everyone will tell you the same thing. Why don't you save your money and buy the tang a bigger tank before you go adding more tangs to a tank that's too small for the current one? But since I'm sure that won't happen why don't you get a mata or dussumeri to add with the vlamingii? In all seriousness why don't you read a few books since your husbandry and needs of fish is way off the mark

Oh I almost forgot the fact you have had the tang for 2 yrs not and it's only 4" let's you know something is wrong. My orange shoulder went from 1.5" to 8" in just over 1 yrs time. Something is wrong (other than the 120g) like internal parasites or something lacking in diet that's preventing the tang from growing correctly. I know you don't want to hear any of this but it's all true and factual and the sooner you come to terms with it the better off the tang will be

You'll be fine with any smaller tang that you add since vlamingiis are generally not aggressive, they just love to eat. I would be a little hesitant on sohals and clown tangs since these are aggressive.

You'll be fine with any smaller tang that you add since vlamingiis are generally not aggressive, they just love to eat. I would be a little hesitant on sohals and clown tangs since these are aggressive.

Thank you for answering the actual question at hand here and staying on topic.

Thank you for answering the actual question at hand here and staying on topic.

The topic at hand is a tang that gets 3ft long in a 6ft long tank... Your the one missing the point. Obviously you have learned nothing in the 8 years you have been on this forum. I'm honestly not trying to be a dick about this but come on

Have to agree with Dmorty on this. You are posting on an advice forum and receiving some genuine, decent advice that I would recommend you take, and yet you seem to be annoyed that those of us who not only care about *you* as a fellow hobbyist, but also your tang (among the other inhabitants of your tank), and adding another heavy bioload fish, such as a tang, would just *not* be a good idea, and for us to skip over that fact to simply answer your question regarding general tang compatibility would be irresponsible IMO. Unless you have a serious plan laid out for a much larger tank for this vlamingii in the near future, I would most definitely not consider adding another tang. Good luck :fish1:

Back