tank needs cooled...need low cost idea

nanowiz

ok I have a 20gal tank and my temp is allready up around 80. ( if thats really that bad) Im am going to add a 150W MH with in the next few days.. and im expecting the temp to go up even more... i have a ceiling fan that i keep on most of the time but isnt really doing it... is there something else i can do besides but bags of ice in the fuge?

Low cost? A fan blowing across the surface of the tank or sump will help lower a couple degree's. A ceiling fan won't be much help at all.

yeah but i also have it in my room but i guess i could turn the fan off at night...im looking for something kinda quiet also

I use a variety of different kinds of fans and all are on the same timers as the lights. Having the fans on without the lights might cool the tank down too much.
The clip-on fans are very quiet.

yes the watere wil evaop. more but evaporation cools, you could blow it across the fuge or sump if you have one, wiht an auto top off it would work fine

another idea...I have a CPR aqua fuge HOB, i use it as a sump(no macro-algae), if the tank gets too hot, i drop a frozen bottle of water in the sump, and let the heater regulate if the temp drops.

i went to radioshack and got a computer fan for $16, and a 12v power source for $20. splice the wires together and you've got a cooling fan.

Those coolers are too expensive. You can get an 80w peltier element for like $20. surely you could figure out a diy using an old cpu heat sink and some way to xfer the cooling to the water.

I was faced with the same predicament, started a 12 gallon nano a couple of weeks ago. Purchased digital thermometer and nearly fell off my chair when I saw that the temp. was reaching 83 plus degrees. My solution was to lower room temp. by 2 to 3 degrees and leave feeding door open. Temp. is now staying around 77 plus or minus a degree with the lights on. I never had that type of problem with my 46 bow or even my 20.
Oh and by the way this is my first post...and you are all a wonderfully diverse group of people. Thank you for all of the terrific information that is provided here.
Mary K.

if you really want to try something dirt cheap....16 ounce plastic soda bottles, frozen with water, placed in your sump...it doesn't get any cheaper than that and it works.

Back