Tank of the Month - August 2002

You've got a beautiful reef aquarium!

I've recently upgraded to a 180, and your tank is an inspiration. Hope mine looks like yours in four years time, and yours twice as good!

Good Luck.

Incredible!! Congrat"s, Looking at that make"s all of that hard work worth every bit .It is fantastic.It must be awsome to be able to look at that all nite!! Excellent job:beer:

Thanks again everyone for the great comments on the tank.

Ninong, I have had a couple of jumpers, about one a year, but not the wrasses.
As far as the 3" strip around the rim of the tank, it makes all the difference in the world.
I had to do something once I got the pendant, it was hard to look at from across the room.
The strip really keeps the light off the walls and out of your eyes.

Two thumbs up!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Very inspiring to an up and comeing reef aquarist like myself

If I am not mistaken, he is referring to starfish like these:

stars582266.jpg

They are very small and irregularly shaped. Some believe that they eat coral. Others claim they don't.

Hi Skipper,
You are correct, those are the starfish I was talking about.
The harlequin finished them off in about a month.
It seems they are not the preferred food of the shrimp though, if there is any other starfish in the tank they will go for it first.
It took 2 weeks for it to start eating them.
I was worried about starving the shrimp, and almost gave in and got a sand star to feed it when I saw it eating one of the parasitic stars.

Now I see one of the parasitic stars now and again, but they are 99% gone.

just double checking

just double checking

Kedd the last pic you just posted is NOT a parasitic starfish that you and skipper are referring to. Correct?

No, the last pic posted is the shrimp eating a sand star.

Last edited:
do you see your harlequin shrimp much? because you have such a big tank..

if possible could you post pictures of your Euphyllias?

Gorgeous tank Kedd. Anyone with a Harlequin shrimp in their tank is a friend of mine. :D Keep up the great work, and enjoy!

Great Tank!, just wondering how long you've had the AB Spacelight over the tank & if your pleased with the color & growth of the sps.

To reply, I do see the harlequin every night when the first set of lights go off.
He has lived in the same spot the entire time.

The Aquaspacelite is great,and has great color after the first 50 or so hours.
I will say I couldn't use it without a chiller, it is hot.

kedd<> You have by far one of the hands down NICEST tanks i have ever seen. I hope my tnak can one day look like that. I'm very envious especially of your acro colonies (and other sps btw) IT's by far my favorite tank of the month. Oh wouldn't i love to get into your tank with ye trusty ole wire cutters. You've got sooo many nice ones i couldnt pick a favorite. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!

Back