Tank of the Month - August 2002

Hey Kedd Tank looks great.I too have seen this tank in person and It is truly breathtaking.Kedd you did a great job.Thanks for including the frag I gave you it looks great.Keep it up and I'll see you at the store soon.
Deuce

hello

hello

Kedd,

Very nice tank! no wasted space, but someof the corals look young, how longs it been up for? i havent had a chance to read your description yet.. Anyway great tank and keep up the good work!

--Other people--/
Does anyone have the link to sally jo's website?

Hi Deuce,
I will see you soon, I'm sure.
Thanks for the compliments,and the frag you gave me is doing very well.

Buddha, the tank is about will be going on five years in the winter.
A lot of the sps started about about a year and a half ago as frags.
There are some young corals in this tank.

I should have more space between, but too late now.
I just keep the shears sharp.

Wow, Kedd! That is AMAZING! ! !! ! ! ! ! ! !! ! !

I totally understand what you mean about the anemone. I have a bta in my 65, that gets huge. He extended so large I had to move a coral frag that I had near it, and as he further extends he is encroaching upon stylo territory:( Which is well established and I do not want to move. I wish i'd left the anemone out, too.

Quote: Closed-loop pump is a CustomSeaLife velocity T-4
ââ"šÂ¬Ã‚¢ Two returns on the closed-loop system are oscillated by Sea Swirls

How is this done. You have a closed loop w/o having the tank drilled for one? I didn't know that was possible. This is a closed loop, not leading to the sump, and the tank is not drilled? How does that work?

You have an awesome tank. I rarely even glance at the tank of the month, but saw your name as the last poster and thought i'd take a look. Little did I know that you owned this magnificent tank!

Thx,
angela.

Auto Topoff

Auto Topoff

Awesome tank Kedd!!! Wish mine looked like that.

You mentioned you do manual water topoff due to the long distance involved.

I have a 33gal plastic garbage can in the basement that gets filled with RO/DI water. A spectrapure litermeter sits upstairs in my stand and sucks water from the garbage can, up 8' to the basement ceiling, across the basement 60', and then up through the floor 3' to the litermeter. All through airline tubing.

I evaporate about 3 gallons/day currently and actually dose pickling lime for calcium through this method.

Works like a charm. Something to consider. It has saved me an IMMENSE amount of time and spilling by automatically dosing topoff water.

Steve

Kedd is a great guy too!

Kedd is a great guy too!

I just received some corals from him and he did me righteous! Great guy to do trades with too! Thanx Kedd! Email me when you get a chance buddy....I want to ship you some corals monday.

Hi Scubadude,
I'm glad you got them ok.
I just got back from the cape, I will e-mail you soon.

Kedd

Newreeflady,

The closed loop's intake is in the corner by the overflow, it goes up and over the back of the tank.
The intake has PLENTY of screens on it, so there is really no powerful suction to speak of with so much intake area.
The fish and more important the seahorse have no problem being next to or on it.
The plumbing for the intake is buried behind some live rock.

All hoses coming from and going to the pump have unions and ball valves, also there are holes drilled 1-2 inches below the surface for a siphon break on the intake.

Your sump lights.

Your sump lights.

Beautiful Tank,

What exactly are the benefits of having the reverse lights on?
For some reason it sounds promising although I don't see the method mentioned often.

Per your notes:

"2 x 65W Smartlights on a reverse 12 hour daylight schedule for the sump"

Great tank, a real motivator!

I love the variety in colours you have. My corals (esp acro's) have a tendancy to drift towards brown for some reason.

Just a quickie, I haven't seen the answer elsewhere, but at what temperature do you keep the tank?

regards

To answer the questions.

The temp of the tank is between 81-83

The reason for the light on the sump, is the help the PH swing and for growth of the calupra.

Light fixture

Light fixture

That is one beautyful tank Kedd! The thing that jumped out at me immediately was the color of your light. I've been thinking of buying one like it! Are you happy with the fixture? Where did you get it? I noticed it is not mounted in the middle of the tank but towards the back. Any particular reason? Have you considered eggcrate to cover part of your tank to keep in the jumpers? Congratulations!

No Reactor???

No Reactor???

I just read through this post and didn't see any mention of a calcium reactor....is this correct?

I did see that you dose with B-Ionic. Do you do this manually or do you have some type of a doser?

I use MTC's dual doser on my tank for B-Ionic. I was thinking of getting a reactor but after seeing your tank (155g) I think I'll wait a little longer. Do you have any plans of getting a reactor?

That is one of the most beutiful tanks I have ever seen. CONGRATULATIONS!!!:thumbsup:

Back