Tank Of The Month - December 2008

Thank you for sharing this beautiful tank! I have to admit that I can't stop looking over your set-up and photos. Truly inspirational.

I was considering anenomefish for my small system (70 gal). I know that most species can be territorial/aggressive. Do you have or know of a good reference that would describe anenomefish behavior? I'm trying to avoid the overly aggressive, and was considering the pink skunk (A. Perideraion I think?).

Thanks again for sharing your experience and wisdom!

I recommend Clownfishes by Joyce D. Wilkerson. The Pink Skunk is a good choice. They are amoung the least aggressive clown fishes.

Thank you, Koran Angel and FUA.:)

Yes, Clownfishes by Joyce Wilkerson is an excellent, inexpensive book that covers anemonefish and their host sea anemones, including anemonefish breeding instructions.

Even cheaper, is Dr. Daphne Fautin's Anemone Fishes and Their Host Sea Anemones. It's FREE! It's not really about husbandry in captivity but it's a very valuable resource for identification of the various species of anemonefishes and host anemones. Dr. Fautin has graciously posted the entire book online, or you can purchase the regular paper edition at any book seller.

:)

this reef and its location is really inspiring to me, it brings reefkeeping to more than a hobby to more of a way of life!!!

This has to be one of the nicest tanks I have ever seen. I have one question (that will make my wallet feel a little better), how much do you estimate you have spent in total on all the equipment?

Salty: that's a question to which most folks would like to keep private. Especially if their wife can access the forum or peek over his shoulder.

I never kept a running tab on how much I"ve spent (on purpose) but always had a budget limit on what I would spend on a particular item. I do a lot of research before I purchase anything . Also, I didn't buy everything at once and the purchases were spread out over a few years. I bought the dialyseas more than a year before I got the tank. I also try to use old equipment. My experience in this hobby has shown me you get what you pay for and it really pays off in the long run if you buy quality.

What would you say you keep your magnesium levels at...or do you even test for them?? I know some people don't test mg because of the cost of test and just rely on regular water changes to keep it up.

I don't often test for magnesium because it is usually in the correct range (1400-1500). This was not always the case. I found that the magnesium level depends on the salt mix I use. The dialyseas is contantly changing the water, so if the salt mix has the proper amount of magnesium, the level stays consistent. I cannot use IO for instance, or the mag and alk will drop without supplementing. So I always use a salt that has normal to high mag, calcium and alk levels.

Paul,

That is all very amazing. I am curious about the Dialyseas system. I did not notice a "controller" system on your setup. As for some of the dosing and monitoring, does the Dialyseas control other things outside of just doing water changes and top-offs?

Yes it does, but I did not get those options. I believe the model I got can monitor pH and orp. There is also the option to connect other dosing pumps. My dialyses is now 5 years old, so there may be other functions a newer model might have.

Paul, thanks for sharing your beatiful tank. I am in processing to setting up 300g tank. It is difficut for me decide what type of lighting and how much. From reading, the range is very varierity.
From reading your tank, you have 4 250w mental halid, do u feel enough ? why do u choose 400w ones? I see some tanks using all T5 what's u opinion for T5 for sps corals? greatly appreciate if you can have some suggestions? Thanks, Ming

Back