Tank Of The Month - December 2008

I would have gone with 400watt but for the cost of electricity here in Massachussetts. T5 was not as popular then as it is now, and I don't remember there being any fixtures that could cover the dimensions of my tank. Now there are many more possibilities.

Thanks for the quick response. I know your tank has mix types of corals, do u observe any problems to keep sofe coral with sps?
I am planning to get bubble king skimmer, do u have good result from bubble king skimmer ? do u highly recommend it? Ming

Yes, I really like my bubbleking skimmer. I would recommend it toanyone. With a mixed tank , make sure you use a good quality carbon and change it when needed.

reefkeeper2:

First, beautiful tank, thank you for sharing.

Second, can you describe to me the path the electricity takes as it goes from the wall of your house/basement/attic to the power heads attached to the overflow? Related: If you have a picture looking down into your overflow from the ceiling, I'd love to see that.

Thank you again for sharing your amazing setup!

Chris

I'm sorry, but I don't have a pic from above. The electric line comes up from the basement through the legs of the stand just like the plumbing. It's just an extension cord I threaded though there myself. The tunzes are all plugged in under the stand on a powerstrip. The cords from the tunze controllers then pass up through the aquarium overflow through what is called a chase. This is a 2inch wide pvc pipe that is connected to the bottom of the overflow with a bulkhead fitting just like the plumbing. The chase rises a couple inches above the overflow so water could never flow into it. All the wiring for the tunzes and the wavyseas passes through it to the controllers hidden under the stand.
I hope that wasn't too confusing.

reefkeeper2:

Thank you. Once the powerhead cables come out of the chase: Do they "drape" over and cross the overflow and then turn down into the water, visibly traveling down the outside of the overflow until they connect to the powerhead? If so, with the chase being a couple inches higher than the overflow, and wires coming out of it "draping" until they turn back into the water -- is this unsightly?

Thanks,

Chris

About 6-8 inches of wiring can be seen comming out of the chase and going to the powerheads. I suppose I could have hidden most of it with some sort of plastic covering that would be placed on top of the overflow, but it didn't bother me enough to warrant it.

Paul, I almost decide to use 3 400w metal helids with good reflectors plus 2 T5 features (2 80w T5 per each features) for my 300g tank ( 72 x 36 x27 ). Do you have any suggestion for this lighting combinations? You mentioned carbon will remove inhibiting factors from soft corals, so sps can grow ok in mix tank, do you think it is good idea to have zone for softy or sps in the same tank? Again thank you for your advice and quick response.
Ming

Your lighting combination sounds very good to me. The 400watt lamps should provide ample light. As I said previously, I used 250watt because of electricity cost. if this were not a concern, i would have gone with 400watt.
Carbon will allow you to have sps and softies together. Ozone also helps in my opinion, but is not as necessary as continuous carbon filtration.

Paul,
BIG fan of your setup, i have read the TOTM page around 30 times and show all of my guests that are interested in my future goals, I finally read this thread looking for your build thread (that doesn't exist) :(

As an engineer, i see all the great detail and thought that was put into this setup and am really impressed. I really like teh idea of the chase. That is brilliant especially with this setup.

couple questions, where might i purchase a Dialysis unit and what type of salt are you currently using now. I see you said you didn't use IO.

thanks
Rob

Paul,
What I have called them and left a message, approximately what is a unit like this worth? Also i too am dosing vodka. I am also dosing Brightwell aquatics microbacter7 as well. How did you know to stop at 6ml?

The 6ml was more than a year ago. Presently I dose 26ml a day.
Getting and installing a dialyseas is a big venture, and they were expensive 5 years ago when I got mine. I can't remember exactly but I think I paid around $1900 then so it will be more now.

Paul,
Have you seen anything like this during your dosing of vodka, To mee it looks like an overpopulation of bacteria in the sand.. its almost a soft clumpy,,
IMG_1219.jpg

IMG_1220.jpg

That looks like cyano. Cyanobacteria growth can sometimes increase with vodka dosing, although I have not witnessed it in my tank. The common recommendation is to use GFO or other phosphate reducers and/or decrease the vodka dose.

That is Cyano? ok i will stop dosing vodka for a week and dose high nutrient of microbacter 7 so 20 ml a day in my case. Thanks for help and sorry for jumping in your thread.

How is your tank doing now? any recent photos. im still trying to get a hold of the dialyseas place.

I would cut back on the vodka, but not stop. You havn't jumped the thread at all, it's here so people can ask questions.
I'm going to find one of my old threads on the large tank forum and post some update pics, probably in a few weeks.

Paul,
Any changes to your system or issues? I still love your setup, its my favorite tank of the month. Any chance you might want to post some recent photos!

BTW did the company that made the Dailyses go out of business? I can't seem to get ahold of anyone there.

Back