Tank of the Month - February '06

I can not say anything that hasn't already been said :), this is just amazing, b e a u t i f u l... I love anthias, they're by far my favorite, but they don't do well in my tank :( ... Congrats on the Tank of The Month, should be Tank of The Year in my book though :) ...

Christy... :rollface:

Max: most ballasts used in Holland (and Germany and Belgium as well) are magnetic. So I think these are magnetic as well. As far as I know there are no problems with interference with other equipment, I've never heard the owner of that tank about issues with interference.

THAT'S a reef tank! The most beautifull Reef Tank that ever apeared here. Nothing comes close. Congratulations!

Your tank is absouletly amazing! One thing you might consider, if you haven't already, is to add lunar lights to simulate the moon. My tank is small compared to yours but my fish and corals love it.

I use 2 NANO LED moonglows for our 29 gal reeef.
Imagine what 2/50watt 'night glos' would look like?
he has 1 picture of them on.

Incredible! :) This tank is beyond anything I could imagine.
Unless, I win POWERBALL!!

Doh!!:smokin:

Thank you Pieter for taking the time to build such a wonderful system. I am glad I stoped in before the next tank is chosen! to beautiful for words. you are a lucky guy to have this to look at at work every day. I would never get anything done for staring at the ever changing beauty in the tank!

Tanu,

Can you tell me if changing the sand would be harmful in a smaller system that does not have that kind of up keep? he has so many ways of filtering his system, that in a smaller system i wondered if it would cause bacteria blooms or algae blooms. I want so bad to change the sand in my tiny 90 gal. the dsb of 6 inches, is way funky undeneath the the surface. I am terrified of the bad bacteria causing me to lose my fish or corals. I would love to bring it down to about 3 inches and have the sand rinsed and cleaned.

Does he change the whole thing out at once or do a section each month?
I would also have to worry about shifting rocks as mine are not attached to anything but balanced on each other. This is the first tank i have every heard of that changes the sand. When i frrst mentioned it here last year every one said don't do it. but i have been thinking it over again. i would really like to try it.
but wont if it has something to do with the mechanics in his system that make it safe.

Thanks!

I do not know if the entire volume of the main tank goes out through overflow boxes. There is an entire tank that the public does not see, but which provides the limitless horizon seen from the front side of the main tank. At the top of this second tank is another tidal pool, where water overflows from the main tank. This is where they grow some corals, propagate mangroves and release fish so they can swim out into the main tank only when they are ready to explore further. New fish can stay in the tide pool for days and weeks before venturing out into the larger display.

Much of the water in the tank is pumped through to a row of rotating splash buckets along one edge of the main tank. The buckets fill and dump in a crescendo of flushing power. This action breaks the water surface, retards any build-up of scum or oily surface and mixes the upper waters with those below it.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7443846#post7443846 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Acolin
I do not know if the entire volume of the main tank goes out through overflow boxes. There is an entire tank that the public does not see, but which provides the limitless horizon seen from the front side of the main tank. At the top of this second tank is another tidal pool, where water overflows from the main tank. This is where they grow some corals, propagate mangroves and release fish so they can swim out into the main tank only when they are ready to explore further. New fish can stay in the tide pool for days and weeks before venturing out into the larger display.

Much of the water in the tank is pumped through to a row of rotating splash buckets along one edge of the main tank. The buckets fill and dump in a crescendo of flushing power. This action breaks the water surface, retards any build-up of scum or oily surface and mixes the upper waters with those below it.
This sounds nice, but I've never seen it on this tank, although it is only about 2 miles from my house... :D

You don't see the overflowboxes because they are hidden behind the rockwork. In each of the two back-corners there is an overflowbox. Splash buckets aren't used either: they would make too much noise and -even worse- too much bubbles.

I am truly inspired by this tank. I have been a fish lover all my life and have always dreamed of owning a tank that magnificent! I know it is some months later, but I had to comment on this tank! TOTALLY Magnificent!

in this amazing tank's one year anniversary as the TOTM, i am wondering if there is any update information on this tank.

Hi,

I just finished a brand new series of pictures of this tank. Its even more beautiful as it was.

I will post some pictures very soon:)

Regards,

Ron Hessing.

New pictures, taken a week ago

New pictures, taken a week ago

oke, not so soon, but anyway:) here they are

The new pictures. Tank looks even more stunning than ever!!
Pieter has added 36 bags of live sand in his tank recently.

Regards,

Ron.

Peter05.jpg

Peter06.jpg

Peter09.jpg

Peter07.jpg

Peter06.jpg

Peter04.jpg

Peter03.jpg

Peter02.jpg

Peter01.jpg

Back