Tank of the Month - June '05

Your tank is amazing, absolutely breathtaking. I must confess to not being a reefer merely and interested student so this is my question: how much annually and total do you spend on this tank? It just seems like such a huge investment of not only time and resources by finances as well with huge rewards. I wondered what the price was compared to the maintanence of a freshwater tank.

Thanks for the info. One more question, you said you change your filter bag everyday. Are you replacing it with a brand new one each day, or are you just cleaning them?

Shells, Most of the camera shots were taken in Aperture Priority mode. Or otherwise just full auto.

Spenda, We won't get into dollars here. But the cost is outweighed by the rewards IMHO. Maintenance wise- cost is the addition of salt to the water. But more equipment (vs F/W) requires maintenance also. Not much of an answer I know. But my wife checks this board occasionally so.......

Eric, I have two bags, one comes out and rinsed and placed in bleach/water overnight, rinsed again and replaced.

Thanks all.
CAReefer

Damien, I haven't had any probs at all with the softies and LPS mixed with the SPS. But then again, I have always had a mix, so I don't know if the SPS are suffering or not. Thanks for the kind words.

Marshal

Marshal, I am in the process of looking for a tank with your exact dimensions. 72" x 30" x 24" Do you recommend this Lemar company? Are you planning on selling yours when you get your new one?

Brian, Lemar makes a good tank. Unfortunately they will no longer make a 30" wide tank in anything less than 3/4" glass. In my mind glass that thick would have to be starfire, thus the cost would be outrages. I have pretty much given up on getting a new tank at this point, the dealer I was going through pretty much flaked out entirely and Lemar won't deal with me directly other than to have me ship them my tank for repair. Not friggin likely! I have been keeping a close eye on the deflection in the rear glass and it has not gotten any worse. I have put a block of wood between the back and the wall to try and halt the progression. So, I will not be selling my tank.

Marshal

Thanks everyone for your nice comments. I do have alot of fish for a 65g. I've had all of them in my tank for over two years now and they have all tripled in size. I do weekly waterchanges and have a nice skimmer and run ozone , all which help tremendously in keeping these fish healthy. I am in the process right now of setting up my new 225 gal and my tangs and rabbitfish can't wait.

Back