Tank of the Month - June '05

Great tank as everyone has said. One question - Your RBTA. Mine is wrecking havoc with the corals especially my hammer. Any trick to getting it to get along with the others???
Thx
Bill O

Congratulations, Excellant setup!

I did not see the Rose BTA in your pictures, (it was mentioned that you have one in the invertibrate section of your post) do have a picture of it? Where is it located in your tank and do you have any problems with it moving around and stinging corals?

And what clowns host in it? I notice you have 6 clowns total. Do the skunks get along well with the ocellaris when you have only one anemone? Please excuse the newbie question :D

Wow, thank you all. :mixed:
To the questions,

Little angel- do a search for Zeovit and you will find all the info you will ever need, and alot that you don't.:D

Mike- Those aren't drawers. the cabinet was built to match the kitchen cabinets that are across the room. They are false fronts and they cover the 4" channel iron that supports the tank.

jdmhonda- I don't use any trace elements. Weekly water changes and my Calcium reactor handle all of those needs.

Kim- I don't think LeMar sells to the public. I bought the tank through a local aquarium service business. I believe that they are one of the few on the left coast making custom tanks.

Otteman- My RBTA stayed in one place for 6 months (right where I initially placed it) and then started roaming. Hasn't hurt anything yet and after about 2 months of floating around the tank and trying various spots has finally landed in a crevice towards the top and "seems" to be content.

Rjwilson- I will try and get a pic in the next day or two of the RBTA.

Troza- none of the clowns host in the RB. They have been in the same tank for nearly a year and haven't even given it a second look. The skunks and false percs get along great, But this seems not to be the norm. None of the 6 host in anything and spend the day swimming in the water column and playing in the current. 2 of the false percs and both of the skunks sleep in the leather coral on the far right of the tank at night. The rest kinda hover near the base. They pay no attention to it during the day.

Again, thanks all for the great comments.
CAReefer

You can see in this pic where the RBTA started and stayed for several months prior to packin' his bags and setting off on his little adventure. "Right in the middle below the M. digitata."

Full_Tank_10_04_b.JPG

You mention maybe doing a CL on your next tank. Would that be in addition to or replacing the Streams? Also, where are your streams located right now and do you have any additional circulation in the tank other than the return pump?

Also, how long have you been running the Zeovit?

Congrats. Keep up the good work.

ReefWaters

Reefwaters- the closed loop would be in addition to the streams. I feel there is a lack of flow behind the rock structure, where the streams don't reach. I plan on adding an additional stream and trying to place it to improve that situation. The streams are on the right and left facing each other. In the last picture I posted, the one on the left is directly behind the Hippo tang, and on the right behind and above the anthias. I have been using Zeo since mid December.

Oyster- the sandbed varies from 1-2 inches.

Thanks all.

CAreefer, since you are considering an additional closed loop, I would recommend incorporating an eductor or penductor. If you aim it across the front of your tank, it will actually create a "back current" behind the rock. Its a little difficult to explain, but it works, trust me :).

One of the most beautiful tanks I've ever seen. Congrats on TOTM, it's well deserved!!:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Lovely tank - well done! I'm interested to hear more about the circulation as you mentioned that you cleaned out the sump on water changes. That would be a tough job if it was stacked full of algae. Any chance you could do a walk-through starting from the overflow down into the sump/fuge, through the skimmer and reactors and back to the return?

again, very well done.

my question is in regards to the paelani tang...these grow up and change color into the dussemeri tang correct? or at least, this is what ive come to understand from a friend who is obsessed with obtaining this species....

Nex, Basically the overflow is split, about 400 gph goes into the fuge/prop tank, the rest into the main sump through a 100 micron sock, changed daily. Fuge drains into the main sump via an 1 1/2" bulkhead. Skimmer and 3 associated pumps are in the main skimmer "pool". Water runs through minimal baffles into the Mak 4 return pump. A Maxi-jet 600 feeds the Ca reactor from the sump with about 75% of that returned to the sump via a Tee. The bottom of sump and fuge are about 7" off the ground and is just high enough to allow a siphon and nearly fill a 7 gallon RC salt bucket.

Ron, I was also told this is the dussemeri. But as a juvenile, I see no resemblance. I am not thouroughly conviced it is the same. Almost 2 yrs old now, and only change has been in coloration at the base of the tail. But, then again, that really depends on his mood. I love the blue scribbling throughout his body, very hard to get a true representative picture.

Thanks
CAReefer

I was wondering about your ventelation. You have two 4" vents running out to the garage.. Are you running fans on the garage side of those vents. I am having some serious heat problems with my tank and had considered going the route you chose.. Does your garage get pretty hot during the summer. Mine gets to about 100deg. Any pics of that part of the setup

Thanks
Mike

Back