Tank of the Month - March 2005

Well, I'm now officially going to go with T5s instead of MH. My tank is 52" x 26" x 26". I know many people will say that 26" tall is too deep for T5s, but I'm going to try them anyways.

I can fit 9 each of the Icecap SLR reflectors across the top of my tank. What bulb combination would you recommend danano?

If I remember correctly, you're running 5 AB specials and 3 BLUE+. If you could add one more bulb, what would it be?

hey danano, do u have ur t5 fixture resting on the edge of the tank, or did you purchase any 'legs' to hold it up?

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6529390#post6529390 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by smokez01
hey danano, do u have ur t5 fixture resting on the edge of the tank, or did you purchase any 'legs' to hold it up?
The fixture brackets rest on a 5" tall open top hood.

Danano, would you tell me whether your ATI parabolic reflectors are U-shaped or W-shaped?

Thanks in advance!

Re: SPS corals

Re: SPS corals

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6903857#post6903857 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by PaulChiasson
where do you get a majority of your corals?
local LFS that source from all over the Pacific plus frag exchanges

2 years old...

28Mar06005danano.jpg

One quick question. I am setting up a 90 gallon and plan on using T5 lighting as well. I am curious about how close the bulbs are to the water surface. Do you have a sheet of glass separating the bulbs from the water? Lens covers? Just curious...

About 3" from the surface. No covers, so the reflectors are exposed to salt spray - hence the need to clean them every so often.

My LFS said that with them that close that water could splash up and break the bulbs. That was my concern....

Absolutley gorgeous tank by the way.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7066957#post7066957 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crownvic02
My LFS said that with them that close that water could splash up and break the bulbs. That was my concern....

Absolutley gorgeous tank by the way.
That may be true with MH bulbs. However, T5s run cooler and are probably less susceptable to breakage.

Thanks Danano. I went to another store last night that sold the T-5 fixtures and they also said it would be no problem. I showed my fiance the pictures of your tank last night and she about fell over. ;-)

Amazing tank danano! :eek2:

You have inspired me to go HO T5's instead of MH and give it a shot. Ill be picking up the 48" Tek Light: 8-54W T5 HO fixture for a new standard 75 gallon tank 48x20x18 ill be setting up.

Can you give me any recommendations for bulb choice? I like the more bluish color tanks. Something like the color of 20k XM's MH bulbs if you have seen them. Id like colors to pop out when viewing polyps/yuma's/acans/sps/ etc and would like to be able to do a dusk/dawn effect with timers. Can you give me a idea for bulb choice with my needs??

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7099746#post7099746 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by s3aL
Amazing tank danano! :eek2:

You have inspired me to go HO T5's instead of MH and give it a shot. Ill be picking up the 48" Tek Light: 8-54W T5 HO fixture for a new standard 75 gallon tank 48x20x18 ill be setting up.

Can you give me any recommendations for bulb choice? I like the more bluish color tanks. Something like the color of 20k XM's MH bulbs if you have seen them. Id like colors to pop out when viewing polyps/yuma's/acans/sps/ etc and would like to be able to do a dusk/dawn effect with timers. Can you give me a idea for bulb choice with my needs??

If you are able to get ATI bulbs, for a more bluish color, you could try 4x Aquablue Special (White) and 4x Blue Plus (Blue).

I'm now using 6 white and 3 blue for my predominantly sps tank.

Your tank is beautiful:) I have a 55 gallon with a 4 tube Tek light over the top and love the look and growth of my corals. I just talked hubby in to letting me order a 120 gallon 4'x2'x2' tank. I am seriously considering ordering an 8 tube Tek light but was wondering how anemones fair under such lighting.....has anyone successfully kept a bubble tip or carpet anemone under T5 lighting? I have both under MH right now and would love to combine them in to my new tank with T5 lighting. Thanks for the help....

Janey

Back