Tank of the Month - March 2005

Thanks Majestic, Taga, Benny! :)

nbd, I've had the Red Sea regal for about 5 months. It did not take to Formula 1 and 2 pellets till month 4. Now it eats anything I throw in the tank. I believe all angels, no matter how "reef safe" they may be, have a natural tendency to take occasional nips at almost everything. The regal is no exception but all in all, it has been a good reef citizen. There was a brief period it took a fancy to acan lords!:eek: This was before it discovered a taste for pellets.

Since the major rescape in April, I've added the regal, 3 more orchid dottybacks and the anthias you see in the picture.

benny, I use ATI T5 fixtures. Each fixture comes with 2 T5 e-ballasts allowing me to stagger the timing of the lights. I haven't taken the fixture apart before so I haven't actually seen the type/brand of ballasts used.

Dan

what a beautiful tank! Those colors are just incredible. :eek1:

Man I want an SPS tank so BAD!!!! :mad2:

I wish I could see it it person, I know it would be even more impressive.

danano said:
T5 bulbs are almost 15 months old and sps colors are still holding.

23Jun05008danano.jpg

Have you replaced these bulbs yet?

danano said:
No, I haven't. The bulbs are still going strong! :)

Wow. I was just about to buy my MH system, but now I'm really leaning towards the ATI T5s. This way I could also build an enclosed hood for my system instead of hanging a fixture from the ceiling.

I was planning on an open topped aquarium in effort to dissipate the heat generated from MHs. With T5s I could easily build an enclosed hood with a couple of quiet vent fans at the top to release the hot air. I really like enclosed hoods because they eliminate the stray light.

Decisions, decisions....

I plan to set up a 36" x 18" x 18" SPS tank running ATI reflectors and ATI bulbs. How many bulbs would you recommend?

Tentatively, I am planning to set up 3 AquaBlue Special and 3 BluePlus. I don't know the width of an ATI reflector and so I don't know how many bulb exactly I can fit.

May I ask for your expertise opinion?

chung, 6 bulbs should work nicely. Your planned blub combination may be a little too blue, unless that's what you're after. Try swapping out one of the Blue Plus with an AB Special.

Where do you plan on getting your reflectors and bulbs from? The supplier here no longer carries ATI T5s. You may want to check with your local LFS to see what alternative German T5 brands they carry.

Thanks for your recommendation! I will buy 4 AB Special and 3 Blue Plus and try out which combination is the best. :)

The reef hobbyists in Hong Kong plan to make a bulk order to Germany to order the bulbs and reflectors. By sharing the shipping cost, we would be able to enjoy the best T5HO technology in the world with reasonable price.

I hope this can be done. I am very exciting at the moment! :bounce1:

danano19Sep05018redsearegal.jpg

I've had my yellow-belly Regal for about 7 months. It was 3" when I first got it. It's grown ever so slightly, so possibly 3.5" now. It took my Regal 4 months to start taking pellets and now it eats anything I throw in the tank. In the first 4 months, it relied on food off the LR and acan lord polyps! Yes, you heard right, acanthastrea lordhowensis! It did not devour the acans but it would pick at a polyp or two every other time it swam by. Fortunately, it discovered a taste for pellets and I was able to gradually wean it off acans. The acans have since recovered.

I would say my Regal has not always been a model reef citizen but for its beauty, I was prepared to forego all my LPS.

I have a patch of zoos that it has never touched.

That tank looks cool as danano really good choices on stocking hats of to you. :D However...... I still see space at the back just there what you saving that for!! ;)

Back