Tank of the Month - May 2005

Anemone said:
Thanks guys!

Salty,

Two anemones of the same species, and one was "pulling the tentacles off" the other one? That doesn't sound right. Did you actually see tentacles actually pulled off, or did you see tentacle bits (something else might be responsible, like a clownfish), or just a lack of tentacles on one side of one of the anemones (anemones can pull their own tentacles in for a variety of reasons)?

Kevin

To be honest, I'm not sure they are the same species exactly. The species of one of them is actually up for debate in our local reeef club forum.

If they are different species, does this make more sense and can anything be done to make them get along?

Nice. Have had a few tanks in the past. Considering trying again. Great forum!!!

Link removed. Sorry, we don't allow advertising for other boards

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice tank...it's great to see a species-devoted tank. Also, goes to show that you don't necessarily need MH to keep certain anemones. I'm a bit surprised that you need a chiller with VHO. Do the VHO's add that much heat to your system?

Gawain1974 said:
I'm a bit surprised that you need a chiller with VHO. Do the VHO's add that much heat to your system?

It's a pretty tight hood. The hood is 4" tall and only open at the back, plus I have the acrylic shields (from the original NO lighting fixtures) over the large openings in the tank. So the heat builds up...

Kevin

Gawain1974 said:
I'm a bit surprised that you need a chiller with VHO. Do the VHO's add that much heat to your system?

I think that since his unit is more "together" meaning filtration and everything is part of the tank its self, he doesn't get as much heat exchange. I have 220W of VHO on a 55 gallon with a sump and fuge (10 gal ea.) under the tank and never had temp problems. I think that with the water flow down to the sump and and such allowed me to dissipate a lot of heat (and a gallon of water every other day).

Perfect TOTM though. There are a lot of people that want to keep Anemones and this is a perfect success story and example to lead by. Moderate lighting, right flow, and patience. I had never heard of an Anemone spawn. Great tank!!!.

Carl

I found the preferences of the RBTA you mentioned very useful. I have a Sebae in my main reef tank that I have had for over 2 years and a BTA in my 20gal H tank which has only been a member of the family for less than a month. He is constantly moving or floating but recently found himself planted inside a cave like area in the rockwork. I have been a little concerned about this since my Sebae has never acted like this. I feel better now knowing that they tend areas like this and will adjust for flow/lighting. Excellent work!

Beautifyl tank Kevin: One question I have is I have a large long tentacle with a pair of clarke clowns and have noticed when I do a water change the anenome gets stressed out and gets extreamely small for most of the day. It will then open up some when the lights come on but takes a while to get back to "normal" . Do you notice this and also do you use any artifical salt mix?

Bill

Good Job Kevin!!

At one time, before the RBTA's were in every LFS, Kevin supplied most of SoCal with RBTA's. Weather we got it from him, or another reefer, they were almost all clones, or clones of clones, off of his anemones.

The tank is absolutely beautiful. Kevin, have you kept other types of anemones?

Love seeing a species tank as TOTM. Hope to see more in the future!

Great tank, great article. Wish I could get an RBTA but down here I'm stuck with plain Malus. :)

I found the most interesting thing is the tank will decorate itself. That's a big change from coral that stay where we put them.

Back