Tank of the Month - May 2005

mcslater said:
Real nice!!! Just wondering if u and the Kevin I know(326th/709th AS) were one in the same..

That's not me... but there are quite a few of "us" around, as strange as that might seem to people with more common names... :D

Kevin

Anemone said:
It's a pretty tight hood. The hood is 4" tall and only open at the back, plus I have the acrylic shields (from the original NO lighting fixtures) over the large openings in the tank. So the heat builds up...

Kevin
Having lived in Valencia, I can vouch for the fact that it's just this side of Hades in the summer :D I'm sure that doesn't help the heat factor any.

Lovely anemones and tank :)

congrats-love the pix-very nice totm-not too big!-
i have a rbta also -first night it split-i call them spike & chester from the cartoon 0 lil guy followed big guy around- both are hapily at home now. anyways yours are beeeeautiFULL!
i will check your gallery for pix of your other most likely nice tanks too!-alpha

Gawain1974 said:
I'm a bit surprised that you need a chiller with VHO. Do the VHO's add that much heat to your system?

Yes, I can also vouch for the need for a chiller, since I live out that way too. It so close to the desert that some of the streets deform and melt under heavy trucks in the summer. Great tank Anemone, glad to see your submission didn't get you banned for life!:mixed:

Great tank! awesome RBTA's. I have a 100 gallon reef tank that is about 7 months. I want an anemone but I'm not sure if it's the tank is mature enough for an anemone. Any advice I'll apprecited.

Thanks and congrats!

Very Nice Anemone!

I tried the BTA's a couple times and was just not successful. My tank was not really mature at that time though like it is now, I just wonder if my water chemistry was just not right for them yet. I am not really sure if I will try it again, I mean I just love BTA's, but I don't want to be responsible for another BTA death.

WOW! Thats awsome! How many anemones do you have total?

What do you know, I have the same tank, but its 75 gallons... (or maybe its 65 with that overflow thing being 10 gallons?) anyways, I will try that method to get them to split (the feed heavy then do big water change)

Do you think raw cocktail shrimp would be bad for an anemone (just because they are cheaper if I am going to feed alot)

are you running skimmerless, just a fuge right?

Its great to see something different as Tank of the Month. While I will not go in this direction, I also will not go in the direction of the 200 gallon 4 billion watt sps tank.
Kudos to RC Staff and Anemone for showing the diversity of this hobby.
You really get a sense in this article that Kevin enjoys this tank.

Carl

Sweet looking tank! I bet it looks very busy and action packed in there.

Two questions for you:

Are any of the other fish in there stung from the RBTA's or harassed by your GSM?

Do any of your RBTA's ever go swimming around in the current? I find mine doing that every now and again. Is stays in one spot for a long while then it'll be on the move, then in notime its floating/bouncing all around in the current for 5-10 minutes.

Hello Kevin!

Nice tank! I also have a seaclear system II but it is 50gal. How did you turn the back into a fuge? I took out my bioballs and but in rubble rock but wanted to turn it into a fuge without modifying it, but the water flow is too high.

you put two peicees of acrylic in so its like this...

I___I____I____I ___I

The I's being the acrlylic peices that are already there, and Orange I's being the peices you have to put in.

Its sorta hard to explain lol :rollface:

LEt's see if I can hit on most of the questions:

I modified the rear-bioball area by putting a piece of acrylic at the bottom of the divider just before the pump chamber (in my system, the water flowed into this chamber through an opening in the bottom of the final divider). I drilled a hole in the acrylic a couple of inches from the top to allow the water to flow through to the final chamber (without overflowing the top). This slowed the turbelence down quite a bit thorough the bioball chamber.

- I think I have 12 or thirteen clones right now, I had a problem with my heater sticking on - couldn't figure out why my chiller was on all the time when the room temp was low 70's. So, the tank was getting up to 82+ degrees. I checked, and the heater was still on at this temp. Cranked it down a bit and finally got it dialed in again (until I can pick up a new one), but the temperature spike seems to have caused a couple of splits...

Dinner time.... more in a bit.

Kevin

- Fresh table shrimp, cut into smaller pieces, is a fine meal for a BTA. Just make sure it's uncooked and not spiced in any way.

- none of my fish have been stung by my BTAs - at least not to my knowledge. My GSM only really harrasses me when I'm in the tank. The rest of the fish he-she (and them, back when) pretty much ignores.

- my anemones don't go swimming. Mine pretty much move from solid object to solid object. Sometimes they will release a part of their foot like they're "reaching," but they generally don't release the whole foot until they have a hold on something else.

- currently, I am running skimmerless, but I'm reconsidering putting a chinsy one back on the tank -the lack of skimmer has been the only real difference (as far as I can tell), between the first spawning event (where I only lost the hree snails) and the last two spawning events (where I lost fish). The thing that makies this strange and not an exact correlation, is that I actually shut off my skimmer the first time the tank spawned and didn't turn it on until a day later, and even with the fish kills in the later spawnings, all of my snails survived (when they all died in the first spawning), so I'm still confused....

Kevin

Back