Tank of the Month - November 2002

Thanks everyone for your kind words. :D

Docwells,
I've built a lot of stands so I didn't really have any formal plans. I worked mainly from memory and some rough measurements I had jotted down... I used glue and biscuits for most joints and I screwed and glued the corners together. I made the doors on my table saw. It's a little harder than using a router, but IMO it's worth the extra effort. You can send me an email and I'll give you some more details...

Thanks,

Ryan

I hope i'll be able to mix some softies in when I setup my new tank (90g) as it'll only be 175w mhs on each side... and will be tall, too. As of now, they don't do so well with the lighting so I moved them out (400w over my 65g).

Great setup! Very healthy looking ! I can't believe it has no sandbed, do you have to vaccum a lot of gunk, or does the flow take everything out?.

Angela.

Ryan,

Great looking tank, and I love the vats you used for your sump and refugium. Excellent idea, especially if you have the space like you do.

You guys with basements are blessed imo! I'm on a slab foundation, so it's all on the same level in my home. <g>

I too have a mix of hard and soft corals, and everyone seems to do well. I'm probably going to do the same for my new 55 gal that I got last weekend.

Newreeflady said:
I hope i'll be able to mix some softies in when I setup my new tank (90g) as it'll only be 175w mhs on each side... and will be tall, too. As of now, they don't do so well with the lighting so I moved them out (400w over my 65g).

Great setup! Very healthy looking ! I can't believe it has no sandbed, do you have to vaccum a lot of gunk, or does the flow take everything out?.

Angela.

Angela,
The detritus collects in a small area and I siphon it out once a month when I do a water change.

I think you can keep softies in your reef with the 400 watt halides. They'll just need to be slowly aclimated to the intensity. I have some sitting directly under the 250 watt DE HQI bulbs with no problems. I started them at 3 hours a day and brought them up to 8 hours over a month.

Thanks,

Ryan

Hey Ryan. I merged another question for ya from another thread. The question is from MaxSeeley on page one. Thanks.

Re: Tank of the Month - November 2002

Re: Tank of the Month - November 2002

MaxSeeley said:
I see that you are housing SPS's with in your tank. What is your growth rate and sucess rate with these is association with such a large number of soft corals. I have a tank that is soft corals and lps and I have never been able to keep most sps's alive. The sps's that I have kept in the tank had almost zero growth.

Please explain your R.O. system. It looks as though you have the output of 1 RO running into the input of a second RO unit??

Have you ever had a cyno bacteria outbreak?

Thanks,

Max

<i>This thread has been moved to the current forum.</i>

Max,
I haven't had any problems keeping SPS and Softies together. As for the growth rate, You can see in center of the tank a purple rim montipora capricornus. I bought this from Rick at Coral Dynamics in May of this year. It was the size of a silver dollar. 7 months later it's almost the size of a dinner plate :)

The RO/DI is pretty basic. I use the RO system on the left as a prefilter and the system on the right for DI. The membrane on the left unit is bypassed.

I've never had a Cyno outbreak in a reef. I did have it in a FO tank many years ago. Why do you ask?

Thanks,

Ryan

Wow!

Wow!

A real stunner, Ryan!

We'll have to just call you Norm Abrams from now on, after seeing those cabinets! :lmao:

I guess I've been underskimming my 180 with only one ETS 800 (#995)!:rolleyes:

Given the beauty of your tank (you should be really proud!), I'm sure we're all wondering how to keep our nitrates up to 5 ppm!:D
Do you think it has something to do with having 24X tank volume in water motion? Yikes! That must be tricky to fine tune the water jets and coral placement, especially with those softies. Can you elaborate on this a little?

What did you do about your humidity problem in your basement from your 2 sumps?

On temperature control, does your second heater ever turn on? What would happen if you didn't have fans in your hood? I thought those DE's liked to run hot...
Lots of questions, I know - but a tank that gorgeous needs some explanation!
:)

Beautiful set up ... great design, looks very well planned out. I sure wish I had a nice basement under my tank to work with, that would be awesome. I have a garage but live in a townhome so can't really drill through the floors, they won't let me (the townhome association that is) ... I would have a big sump TOO if I could do that.

Excellent Ryan, keep up the great reefkeeping. And that is a NICE looking Softie tank (speaking from an SPS guy ... hehe)

Re: Wow!

Re: Wow!

cvye said:
A real stunner, Ryan!

We'll have to just call you Norm Abrams from now on, after seeing those cabinets! :lmao:

I guess I've been underskimming my 180 with only one ETS 800 (#995)!:rolleyes:

Given the beauty of your tank (you should be really proud!), I'm sure we're all wondering how to keep our nitrates up to 5 ppm!:D
Do you think it has something to do with having 24X tank volume in water motion? Yikes! That must be tricky to fine tune the water jets and coral placement, especially with those softies. Can you elaborate on this a little?

What did you do about your humidity problem in your basement from your 2 sumps?

On temperature control, does your second heater ever turn on? What would happen if you didn't have fans in your hood? I thought those DE's liked to run hot...
Lots of questions, I know - but a tank that gorgeous needs some explanation!
:)

cvye,

Thanks for the compliments...

My nitrates are high because I'm starting to suffer from "old tank syndrome" The live rock is over 5 years old and is starting to leach nutrients back into the water... I'm debating on replacing a good portion of the rock.

I really havenââ"šÂ¬Ã¢"žÂ¢t had any problems with too much water flow. The corals and fish thrive in the heavy current. I have the return from the sump and the outlet from the closed loop on the far right side of the tank pointing to the back left corner. The Maxi-Jet 1200's are mounted on the sides towards the rear of the tank, pointing towards the center of the front glass. They are controlled by a Tsunami wave...

I solved the humidity problem by adding a duct that runs from the fish room to the return side of the main trunk line on my furnace. It has a variable speed fan that I run 24/7.

Actually, I recently put the heaters on a Ranco controller. Both heaters did run on a regular basis prior to adding the controller.

The fans in the canopy are wired to the Aquaspace light so if they don't turn on the lights won't turn on... :)

Ryan

Gorgeous tank ....... very healthy looking!

I am curious about your Coral Beauty and all your soft corals ..... is that ever a problem?

ivyvine1 said:
Gorgeous tank ....... very healthy looking!

I am curious about your Coral Beauty and all your soft corals ..... is that ever a problem?

Thanks!

The Coral Beauty has been a model citizen.

Ryan

Refugium

Refugium

Wonderful tank.
It appears in the pic that you are using a 4' workshop light. What type of lamps do you use.

Ryan...what a BEAUTIFUL tank....definately worthy of TOTM!!!!!!!

Skipper....execellent choice!!!! Thanks!

Thanks everybody for your compliments...

" Wonderful tank.
It appears in the pic that you are using a 4' workshop light. What type of lamps do you use."

Biotech,
I have 2 shoplights with 4- 6500K bulbs. So far so good...

Ryan

Back