Tank size dilema, input/feedback/w/e

ThunderousTalon

Well I am at a crossroads right now w/ my next tank. I am looking to spend between 900-1200$ for tank and stand. I am stuck w/ the choices of a 135(cubish 36x36x24) or 220(72x24x31)... I am on the 135 because of the shape as well as much cheaper to run imo, single mh vs 3. 3ft vho's vs 6, pumps, skimmer, etc... however am i going to regret not getting the xtra gallonage if you will? Any other insight or direction i should consider going. help me out here. the frustrations of life! Hah!

Thanx

Last edited by a moderator:
You could get a ~200gal for about $400-$500 and build the stand for about ~$150. Building a stand is pretty easy and it saves you lots of money.

it depends on what you are aiming for shawn. Your more of a reef guy right or are you going more fish. Hey did you get those few bags of sand left at lowes in sanford. Thanks for the tip. I bought 20 bags total. the truck sat a little low on the way home.

yeah i got 20 bags myself. Going reef, thats all i do.... dave i understand w/ that, however i dont have the time nor the tools to build a stand... i don't mind paying a few bux xtra.

if i was you i would do the cube, i think that would be better looking for a reef. Thats just my opinion, but the few cubes i have seen that are reefs looked really cool. Building up you know. Just my opinion. I went with a 6ft tank because I am a fish person. just my .02 cents. Thanks again for that tip

no problem, i have 4 bags right now in brute containers that i seeded w/ live sand to create loads of live sand :) I am leaning towards the cube and will probably go that route. just the xtra gallonage is nice.

hey i had no problems EVER w/ that talon... My Rx8 was another story... gah... getting another one tho in September, with a greddy kit.

I went to lowes to get some sand and they were sold out. Oh well. I suggest building a stand because the stands that people sell are mostly really short. I built my stand at 36" tall. I like the tank to sit up high so you can look at it while standing and not have to bend down. Plus the taller the better for putting a sump and other things under it. ....Off topic here but my sisters 2004 Rx8 is a POS. Its been in the shop for warranty work about 4-5 times already. 34,000 miles and it has a major oil leak. Not to mention its so slow. She is selling it right now actually. One good thing is it handles pretty good. I like the 350z so much more though and its about the same price.

Last edited:
Dave if you wanna help me build a stand and have the tools for it, lets do it. as fars the rx8 did she have an oil leak or was she just losing oil? they are known to consume oil being a rotory they inject oil into the chamber. you are to check the levels every other tank of gas. its just the way rotorys are. My dad had a 350z just traded out of it for an is350, total nightmare his z was. went thru 3 transmissions(auto) oddly enough, it had less then 36000 miles. as far as it being slow, nothing a greddy kit can't fix ;) hah.... give me 300 to the wheels and i'll be content.

anyways back to topic, are there any other tank sizes i should consider?

you guys and your stupid little cars i cant believe the money you two wasted on cars.
Back to the topic. I think your 135 would truly look the best. And very unique, not seen to often you know. Keep us updated about your tank progress.

Cars topic.....Yeah Brian talk about wasting money on cars. You had the same **** but got lucky selling them for a good amount. I actually got $7000 for my 97 eclipse though last year. Back to topic.......I built my stand for my 50 gallon for $65 in material. It took about 4 hours to finish. Heres a pic (kind of a crappy pic but you get the idea, Ill take a new pic tonight when I get home)....

c363e129.jpg

Brian is also doing a custom built stand but its taking him a couple weeks to finish. I'll help you out if you want. I would go for the square tank. It would be cool to put it in the middle of a room so you could see it from all sides.

I am either doing 42x42x24 or 36x36x24. more then likely 36in... going to use single 250w w/ luminarc reflector and 8x t5's, as i plan to only use the MH for a few hours a day. ASD building me a deltec like skimmer. T4 for return, 40w uv, sequence dart for closed loop w/ sea swirls or om(havent decided yet) and either a controllabe tunze or i may try one of those new vortech by icecap pumps. I have a geo reactor on its way. 2 phosban reactors. ssb w/ 2 remote dsb contained w/in sequential (blacked out)salt buckets for easy removal. I have a few hundred lbs of live rock coming in to be cooked(walt smith). As well as base rock that is being seeded as we speak in my seeded patio sand holdin bin. If it comes together like planned it should be a decent setup.

well heres a pic of my stand I built. I suck at taking pictures and its a 7.2 mega pixel camera...lol

stand.jpg

looks good dave, yeah, if you wanna help me out w/ it. I'd greatly appreciate it. Mod'n cars, now mod'n tanks... If you can help me w/ the frame that'd be great. i can wrap the rest. i just don't have the tools to cut the 2x4's initially.

Yeah man I'll help you out. I have the small tools but I borrowed the saw from brian. Building your own stand the best way to go. It can get as fancy as you want it and you can make it as tall as you want. I'll take some pics of Brians stand he is building for his 210 gallon.

right on. Sounds good man. We'll have to get together. I maybe getting rid of my ER skimmer from my 75 after the 135 goes up i'll letcha know. if you don't have one yet i'll make you a deal on it. This tank should be going up sometime around April/May. I'll have to get it custom built. It should be a good time setting this one up. however, life wont begin in it till probably October or so. Rock cooking galore. Its gonna be tough but it'll be right.

Back