Tanked info.

Woodchuck12

I know that I'll probably get flamed for this. But, I do watch the tv show Tanked (Purely for entertainment) But, to anyone who doesn't watch it but was wondering about how their tanks are cycled/ set up. But I watched the new episode and in answer, they do not cycle, but they do use nitrifying bacteria on their tanks.

P.S. Sorry if this has been posted already

P.S.S. I don't necessarily agree with how they stock/set up their tanks, I do however think that they do make amazing tanks.

They don't use real live rock or plants. They usually do the custom rockwork that they make. Also remember its a TV show and alot of stuff they cut out for tv purposes. I have been in Vegas and have seen some of their work and they are a very good and reputible company. Alot of their business is custom acrylic work aslo.

Woodchuck 12, this topic has been discussed many, many times. Use the search engine and you'll see what I mean.

I may be wrong, but i'm pretty sure they cut off a lot of the stuff people don't want to watch.

+1 TheFishTeen this has been the third thread i've seen on this same topic in the past couple days.

ahh tanked....the soap opera for us..reef nerdz! so much drama. "whoa watch out we almost dropped a huge tank" (in every show!?)

Tanked is more of a comedy show with cool tanks and fish. I thought the new king of tanks was suppose to be better? Wrong, just a knock off, and they don't build there own tanks and the only thing I have seen them do do is build fake coral?

From what i've read/seen, the way they "cycle" their tanks, is they like to use actual ocean water, which has some bacteria built up in it already, and de-nitrifying bacteria. You can read plenty about the bacteria in the forums, but most people in the forum are against it. IMO it's probably not the best way to cycle a tank, but if done right, i have no doubt that it can do the job. Especially since i'm sure the people on Tanked have setup hundreds of tanks, and if it didn't work, they'd be out of business.

From what i've read/seen, the way they "cycle" their tanks, is they like to use actual ocean water, which has some bacteria built up in it already, and de-nitrifying bacteria. You can read plenty about the bacteria in the forums, but most people in the forum are against it. IMO it's probably not the best way to cycle a tank, but if done right, i have no doubt that it can do the job. Especially since i'm sure the people on Tanked have setup hundreds of tanks, and if it didn't work, they'd be out of business.

Yes, natural ocean water and Dr. Tim's One and Only product.

Yes, natural ocean water and Dr. Tim's One and Only product.

Perhaps it's Dr Tim's in their co-branded bottle, but they have their own product line now (after the launch of Tanked, go figure)

atm-colony-sm.jpg

http://acrylictankmanufacturing.com/products/water-treatment/biologicals/colony/

The people on tanked act immature and build aquariums for people who barely know what a fish is. The other show, Tank kings, is much more educational and the people on it are experienced reefers and aquarists who focus on the fish and coral, not the drama. They also make aquariums for major clients like public aquariums who will actually take care of their livestock.

The people on tanked act immature and build aquariums for people who barely know what a fish is. The other show, Tank kings, is much more educational and the people on it are experienced reefers and aquarists who focus on the fish and coral, not the drama. They also make aquariums for major clients like public aquariums who will actually take care of their livestock.

Did you read what you wrote? Focus on reef? They spent 1/2 a show trying to talk a guy out of a reef tank. Fake coral does not make a reef tank. Drama the show is full of it kicking boxes around and complaining about the biologist who always slow them down on there tank builds. And besides they don't have the blonde! Oh yea there largest tank they installed on the show they bought from someone else and installed it. I watch both shows but ATM has more to watch, two of the three guys on Tank Kings are boring.

Did you read what you wrote? Focus on reef? They spent 1/2 a show trying to talk a guy out of a reef tank. Fake coral does not make a reef tank. Drama the show is full of it kicking boxes around and complaining about the biologist who always slow them down on there tank builds. And besides they don't have the blonde! Oh yea there largest tank they installed on the show they bought from someone else and installed it. I watch both shows but ATM has more to watch, two of the three guys on Tank Kings are boring.

This is one of the first posts on here where someone likes FTK over tanked. i wonder if this person works for them. LOL.

Back