Ted_C's 320 - Internal Overflow Build

Ted_C

Now that I've hit a lull in my video games (Destiny and Fallout 4) - I can start getting back into my 320 build.

If y'all remember - I was looking to build a low profile coast to coast Internal/External overflow. I've got to say - from paper to implementation - it came out pretty good.

I used a combination of Melev's acrylic gluing methods (using a 0.35 mm acupuncture needle with Weldon 4 and letting capillary action do the work for you) and weldon 16 for the internals.
http://melevsreef.com/articles/constructing-acrylic-sump

1st: I clamped the back piece against the tank to mark the holes for drilling
2nd: drilled out the bulkhead holes
3rd: glued in the internal supports (Weldon 16)
4th: glued in the bottom and sides. (Weldon 4 and acupuncture needles)

5th: clamped the external to the back side of the tank and marked the holes for drilling
6th: drilled out the external holes

In the pictures below - you'll notice a gap between the external overflow and the tank. This is because each interface has a viton o'ring to prevent leaking. In total - each bulkhead has 4 viton o'rings: Bulkhead / Viton ORing / internal overflow / Viton ORing / Glass / Viton ORing / external overflow / viton oring / Bulkhead Nut

Paper drawings:
2015_03_24_0.25_Overflow_No_Weir.jpg

I of course expanded on these plans to take it all the way out to just under 8 feet.

Building it (this is after the acupuncture needles were removed)
2016_04_08_Overflow_Internal_Build_1.jpg

2016_04_08_Overflow_Internal_Build_2.jpg

2016_04_08_Overflow_Internal_Build_3.jpg

assembled:

2016_04_08_Overflow_Assembled_1.jpg

2016_04_08_Overflow_Assembled_2.jpg

2016_04_08_Overflow_Assembled_3.jpg

2016_04_08_Overflow_Assembled_4.jpg

2016_04_08_Overflow_Assembled_5.jpg

I still have plans to glue in some egg-crate and gutterguard across the length of the internal piece to prevent jumpers.

Thanks Mike! Also - good news - the Ocellaris clowns ended up putting some eggs down in my quarantine.

Looks good Ted. Just a thought... perhaps you could weld some some spacers on the external box at the bottom to match the thickness of the o rings that prevent a flush and perpendicular fit to the tank. That way there won't be any stress on the acrylic at the pass through bulkheads or your drain pipes.

Back