temperature problems?

zheka757

my house A/c here in florida is not keeping up with hot summer days. my
water temperature was ranging from 80 to 82. I recently installed nice big fan over top of the water and it did a heck of a job at cooling my tank, Now im averaging 76.8 to 78.5
Is that a large fluctuation? almost 2 degrees throughout the day!
I was thinking of getting some kind of water temperature controller for my fan so it would turn fan of when water temp is around lets say 77.5 or something.
If you guys think its not that big of fluctuation i got, ill just leave it alone.
Im growing acros in my tank, so i dont know if they will like it long term

For most things it's not too bad. If you're keeping acros, I'd just watch them closely: it's unknown territory for me. I've kept a few of the hardier sort. You might (cheap solution) put your fans on a timer that shuts them down at night, say an hour to see if that moderates the daily fluctuation to about a degree.

For most things it's not too bad. If you're keeping acros, I'd just watch them closely: it's unknown territory for me. I've kept a few of the hardier sort. You might (cheap solution) put your fans on a timer that shuts them down at night, say an hour to see if that moderates the daily fluctuation to about a degree.

timer might work, i was just hoping for more accurate way, ...i also noticed that my ph got from 8.2 to 8.3 ever since i put that fan up. i mean that's awesome!

A couple degrees daily is less than what corals may see in the wild. Personally I think some fluctiation is likely beneficial but if you want a constant temperature I'd follow SK8r's suggestion.

A couple degrees daily is less than what corals may see in the wild. Personally I think some fluctiation is likely beneficial but if you want a constant temperature I'd follow SK8r's suggestion.

It's just that I being hearing stability, stability, stability.... and I pretty much got everything else under control now, except this temperature [problem?] And I don't know if 2 degrees is really a problem. Specifically from some of the articles that I have seeing on line about coral that have being in shalow reef, and they constantly getting cold/warm currents, tides... corals do see a couple degrees fluctuations in a oceans reef.
I'm still not sure if at home environment, temperature fluctuations such as what I got (1.5-2' F) is a problem?

Last edited:
Bought a chiller years ago. It had a differential of 4 degrees. When I asked the builder he replied, " fish see that frequently when they change depths".

My tank sees 2 degrees + change all summer....chiller is +- 2 degrees so if i turn it on, it will bring tank down 2 degrees in an hour........80-82 is actually fine too!

Ok thank you! from all your answers I'm now convinced to just leave tank temperature alone with fan on 24/7. Now I'm also convinced that my tank is stable all the way around with all of my parameters.

It's just that I being hearing stability, stability, stability....

I'm afraid too often "stability" gets translated as "static". As far as having everything under control, what's your dissllved organic phosphorus? What's your dissolved organic nitrogen? What's your dissolved organic carbon, particularly the hydrophilic dissolved combined neutral sugars that promote pathogenic shifts in coral holobilnts? What I learned a long time ago and what's motivated me to try to stay up to date with current research is the reef systems are dynamic and there's a whole lot we can't just can't know. I would recommend getting Forest Rohwer's "Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" it's an excellent introduction to the roles of DOC in reef systems.

I'm afraid too often "stability" gets translated as "static". As far as having everything under control, what's your dissllved organic phosphorus? What's your dissolved organic nitrogen? What's your dissolved organic carbon, particularly the hydrophilic dissolved combined neutral sugars that promote pathogenic shifts in coral holobilnts? What I learned a long time ago and what's motivated me to try to stay up to date with current research is the reef systems are dynamic and there's a whole lot we can't just can't know. I would recommend getting Forest Rohwer's "Coral Reefs in the Microbial Seas" it's an excellent introduction to the roles of DOC in reef systems.

You right! we don't know full science of marine world, but what we do know are basic parameters! And that's what I'm after to keep them stable. And so far I see good results in my fish, sps, lps. ...the parameters you mentioned I don't even know what some of them even means. But I don't know if I should, if I already acoupleshed what I want to accomplish in my tank. By just simple following basic knowledge of what we do know

Back