The BobbyV Build - 150 Rimless Starphire with Shadow Overflow 60x24x24

Selling off the current dining table and china cabinet for something a bit more modern.

Going to build the tank against the wall where the china cabinet is.

This way the lighting schedule doesn't interfere with our movie watching.

Also if the skimmer or return pump develops a small drone, the noise will be isolated in this room.

I will be taking up the entire wall.

I also have an 18 x 18 x 12 frag tank with an external over flow which I will be building next to the tank.

The frag tank fits perfectly recessed into the corner and allows the plantation shutters to open.

I love the idea that I have tucked away area in the house.

If I want to forget about the tank, I can.

we all have the same addiction.
What ever you do, i know if will be quality!!!

I mostly just wanted to get the stand built, prop the tank up on it so it frees up some room in the garage. (picture below)

Then I will slowly plumb it with SCH 80 and etc. To be honest at the rate of how my work has me going.

I will be lucky if this tank gets wet by this December.

Got a great deal on the Rimless 150 and figured why not. You only live once.

If I don't build it this year, there is always the next!

Anyone reading this - the box next to the tank on the right is the new 50 gallon cube I bought. It is for sale . . . just saying!

In the great words of the Movie: Step Brothers

"Look at all this room for activities!!"

You’re not going front and center like your old tank huh?

This was the primary spot prior.

However after having this space open after selling the 300DD, it is nice to cut that corner with plenty of space to the kitchen.

My home is very open and airy.

We also moved the couches back for more general room.

At times, the light bleed is sort of annoying if you happen to watch TV before 9pm.

Who know's I might put the new tank there again. Still thinking about it.

95% leaning towards the first room to keep some distance away from any pump droning or light interference during movie watching.

As much as I enjoy this hobby, this tank will be a long term marriage. I like the idea of keeping it separated and out of mind when I want to.

I am very much intrigued seeing successful reef's maturing to 5 plus years. I went super nice on the tank, so I can have no regrets a decade from now.

This 150 to me at these dimensions of 60 x 24 x 24 is roomy yet still manageable long term.

Last edited:
Getting after it. Making the cuts. Improvising the work bench.

Going with a 43 tall stand. You will see why later. It will give a bit more room with the frag tank.

46910877485_35cb340373.jpg

\

Stands are in place and they fit like a glove!

I wanted a recessed frag tank stand so I can have access to the window frame for any reason.

The plantation shutters will open fully which is nice to have long term years from now. Future proofing this room.

Also constructed both stands with the weight support compression method.

Peace of mind and redundancy is the common theme I have learned over the years to ensure long term success in this hobby.

Added some flooring to the frag tank. This is where I will most likely store my 2 part dosing or etc.

Also the reason the frag tank stand is shorter than the main display tank stand would be to simply give me unlimited room to the display.

The top of the frag tank ends when the main display starts.

Last edited:
Back