The Bubble-Magus Club

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you see you can get them shipped to your door from china for $200 off ebay. Saving you $50 :eek1:

Very interesting. This has gotten me thinking... so, this Bubble-Magus skimmer is fantastic, even with the turbulence. it's pulling all kinds of garbage out. i have to be careful not to place my collection cup next to my coffee cup when i'm tired, or i might accidentally drink out of the collection cup because the contents look the same (although i assure you that they smell quite different)!

Now, I need a new return pump, too. Bubble-Magus appears to be such an incredible value. it makes me wonder what other amazing bang-for-your-buck value I can get from Chinese manufacturers. anyone have any opinion on what the "Bubble-Magus" of return pumps is (needs: quiet, cool-running, approx. 900gph for my 39g Cadlights Pro)?

Well they seem to like the via aqua pump's. The atman is just a VA pump.

ya -- but i feel like i've heard bad things about both atman and viaaqua, whereas the bubble-magus appears to be producing very solid results.

here's what i'm trying to get to:

bubble-magus is like a bubble king

____________ is like an eheim

BM use atman or via aqua, aquabee, eheim, sicce's and mj pump's. The reason there atman pump's work well is because they use better magnet's on there impeller's. They are stronger than stock magnet's the atman comes with. There not so much BK ko's anymore as they are there own skimmers. The external ab's are more like a deltec copy except there pump's pull more air.

The atman pump's bubble magnus use have a different impeller than the stock atman pump. They use a stronger magnet. When they first came out they tried stock impellers and it didn't work, but they corrected it with the new strong magnets.

I like the look of the NAC7 but I'm not entirely convinced that cones work better than regular bodied skimmers. I personally think it's a gimmick that people bought into. I could be wrong though. One thing I noticed about the NAC7 spec is that it says it pulls more air than the NAC6, but it uses the same pump. Is it really possible if it's using the same meshwheel, etc.?

I like the look of the NAC7 but I'm not entirely convinced that cones work better than regular bodied skimmers. I personally think it's a gimmick that people bought into. I could be wrong though. One thing I noticed about the NAC7 spec is that it says it pulls more air than the NAC6, but it uses the same pump. Is it really possible if it's using the same meshwheel, etc.?

what is the supposed advantage?

Would a NAC6 be too much on a heavily stocked ~40g system?

I plan to upgrade down the road in a year or two and would rather not buy another skimmer then.

I'm looking at the NAC6 for my ELOS Mini but am unsure if it will fit in my sump. The area I have to work with in the sump is about 10" x 8" but I believe if I turn the skimmer I should be able to fit it in there. Here is a drawing I did of a top-down view:

Skimmerinsump.jpg

The pink background is the sump area I have to work with, the blue is the reaction chamber, the green is the base (best guestimate on size), the yellow is the inlet and riser pipe brace, and the hot pink circle is the riser pipe.

Can anyone provide me with the dimesions of the yellow portions in my drawing for thr NAC6 (Distance that riser pipe brace extends from body, and distance that inlet extends from body)? Also can anyone provide the (max) distance that the base extends from the reaction chamber?

If all else fails I will likely go with the new "Professional series Mini BM" from CADlights, but I'm not sure if it will suffice for my needs. I know it's an extremely small system (20 gal disaply + 12 gal sump), but it's very heavily stocked and all non-photosynthetic coral which is fed EXTREMELY heavily, running a probiotic system, so an oversized skimmer is an absolute must.

Does anyone out there have the new "Professional series Mini BM" from CADlights? Thoughts?

Last edited:
Is anyone using the BM 160 external? Results? I am thinking it should be overkill for a 55, but I am fine with that, I can keep it if/when I get a bigger tank.
I am forced to look external for a 55 because of sump space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back