The Crazzy Cube 335

Thank you for the well wishing, Im determined to get this up and running very soon, been working on the water filtering, we have an 8 stage system going in, the first stages are from a new restaurant we pulled out, its an commercial Ice Machine filter, it does 12,000 Gallons a day, it will be plumed in to the main house line,and then it will go through a 6 stage Spectra Pure RODI unit, Im still looking at another extra 2 stages one for cloramines and another for metals.... I cleaned my water drums a (200 and a 150) today with acid.. they are now spotless and ready for use not sure which one should be for fresh water and the other one will be for mixed salt water, please chime in if you have any suggestions. My wife is giving me another closet for the gear... its a bit small, but who am I to resist taking up more room.......

A question? That tank ( which I really like ) is really tall, will you have any problems with lighting reaching the bottom of the tank, if you plan on having corals in the tank?

I have 2 large opening about 24X24, I will be using 400 Mh DE 1400k bulbs on two Luminacrcs 4" from the water surface, along with 2 t5 ho attinics 30% over powered, This should punch to the mid lower level for acros to thrive nicely and zoos on the bottom, when its filled and the lights running I will check the par, I have ran 1000 mh before on another tank, but the light was too much. I believe the luminarcs to be the key to getting the spread and light down to the corals. I dont think its wise to run a third light because of the center panel on the tank not only will it give only minimal punch due to it having to penetrate the acrylic but it will be a just energy spent with only minimal results.

This tank was used, and was running with nice corals when we purchased it. but he also was using simple spider reflectors, This should give much broader span of light, and more lumens than previously.

To be able to get into the tank I will be setting up an actuator to raise the canopy up to the ceiling.

Last edited:
For those of you who may be interested in the great deal on H2 Ocean buckets of salt, we got the salt from a very small shop who appears to have high end equipment at good prices. They will not ship the salt however.

SoCal Tropical Fish
2495 Chapman Avenue
Fullerton, CA 92831
714-603-4707

Owner: Tom Tran

Sounds like you know what you are doing with the lights, and I can't wait to see this tank come together.

I cant either, but work seems always to be in the way.... That and forgetting why I went to Home Depot for and leaving with only half of what I needed... Jim you are welcome to check it out and give me input anytime, I dont think I have scotch in this house yet, but I have one hell of a wine collection... Ill have to buy a few bottles of scotch for the party... Hay Jim do you have any full size Luminarc reflectors (dont want any hardware)..laying around from Justins tear down, also looking for a grow fan?

Stout, I have built many tanks and have a considerable amount of engineering knowledge But not everything works as I see it in my head... always open for a off the wall thought...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=15496348#post15496348 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by crazzyreefer
The doors will be coming. However the stand is designed like a sealed bathtub - in the event of a leak, nothing can escape to the floor. The stand has a 6 inch rim all the way around and is completed sealed using apoxy used for marine boats, so it cannot penetrate the wood. We then installed automobile carpet as a sound barrier.

Great idea, however automobile carpet is a poor choice as it can really smell when it gets wet, and is very hard to dry.
If you've ever been in a car that has had water in it, you will know what I mean.

If it is possible, I would rip out the auto carpet, and replace with boat carpet. Its designed to deal with water, and dries much much quicker, no smell.

Your absolutely right...We called it car carpeting but its really boat carpeting, The main difference between auto and boat is the fibers and the ability not to sun rot from heavy UV rays also, one of the reasons cars dont do so well wet is also the padding they use that absorbs not only noise, but also water and smells.

At the moment I waiting on my other half to move the paintings out of the closet/ fish room, once that is done, I think I will FRP the walls first and then start setting up the gear, no carpet in there....

Tom is known for great price on high end equipment and good customer services in so cal. almost all my equipment is from him.

I should have picked up my other luminarc while I was there...

I just received most of the valves

coffeeshop2152.jpg

And been working on the RO System, I still want to recharge all the canisters before installing them.

coffeeshop2134.jpg

coffeeshop2133.jpg

coffeeshop2128-1.jpg

coffeeshop2129.jpg

Live rock curing

Live rock curing

Im curing the bulk of the life rock, alot of the Coraline Algae is fading away, but there seems to be no pests. It will be a few weeks more and I still have to finish the cut rock back wall.

I seem to be 2 weeks behind schedule, Im going to build a proper fish room in the attic, so that will set me back another 2 weeks or so. Time will only tell.

Here is a laundry cart filled with live rock, and 2 pumps and a skimmer, I have another 50lbs cut rock besides this holding tank, I think I have tooo much rock....

coffeeshop2135-1.jpg

coffeeshop2136-1.jpg

Refinishing the stand

Refinishing the stand

The refinishing process will be ongoing, I still need the doors and all side panels, they will be another month out, but I matched the color of the kitchen perfectly! to say im pleased with the results is an understatement...

The first picture is the undercoating, it was umpa-umpa orange... after about a week and 6 other coatings I have the perfect match...

coffeeshop2175.jpg

coffeeshop2176.jpg

The finished color.... I posted a picture of the wine coolers also...

coffeeshop2178.jpg

Finished with gloss coat

coffeeshop2185.jpg

Wine cabinet looks lighter in the picture

coffeeshop2184.jpg

Sweet setup I'm following along.I cant wait to see it all setup. How are you going to reach the bottom though=)

Dan I would have bought out the contents of your tank, but this tank is taking its sweet time to set up. Its not that easy to reach but the cabinet that contains the lights will be on a motorized system to remove it when I need to get in the tank. I figure Ill have to don my snorkel and mask, sans the flippers... We had a 24" tank prior and loved the width but since we were going bigger I made a line on the floor for 36" and 48" We went to a large number of aquariums, and found that the 48" was a bit murky in most situations, but 36" still was clear. Our old tank was 30" deep, running (3) 250w mh lights =750w, at 36" I have to run (2) 400w mh= 800w , but at 48" I would have to run (2) 1000w = 2000w

I used to run the 1000w 20k bulbs (they look like 14k) and the burned everything at the top level.

Working on the plumbing and cut rock today, and will order the water filter also. when it comes in I hope to be ready to make ro and start the fill.

Back