0cb0a2e45f38c78b623c2f216fec93a7.jpg
6cf926b5a65e47fa5415226a77e7b781.jpg
21b4e817693ff07f62c36df47a7cc8a6.jpg
bee2bcfee0f3207571fe8f40d0a2de24.jpg
c2f83e25934e7bcbfd843c1771fa44ff.jpg
dcb3e49203561e4a23b6380123fbd2f4.jpg
b7c7bf1d28008a8e151472b122175e5f.jpg

Aaron

Is that purple with green polyp Acro a secale? I got the BC Secale from Battle Corals recently and it looks similar (except the flesh color is a darker purple). I am hoping I can keep the color up.

Hey Aaron
Nice set up. Well planned out.
When do the new fish go in?

Thank you! I appreciate that, worked hard to plan for our move into the new house as well as the tank move. Two days before the movers came I spent literally the entire night breaking down the old system, and setting up a holding tank. Used a 120 that now is my wife's Discus tank to hold the fish and corals. I lost two fish that jumped, even though I had my screen tops on. I didn't sleep for two nights.... It was a lot of work.

Well I don't see any more spots on the blue tang so 4 weeks I'll start increasing my salinity and observing them for 1-2 more weeks to be sure. They are both looking really well and eating even better. However the QT process could be extended because I want to add a powder blue. I know that's a lot of tangs but we don't plan to add other fish. Also my aquascape was planned to be minimal for extra swim space, also there will be a lot of flow (already quite a bit with the MP60) so I feel flow adds to that, tangs like lots of flow.

Aaron

Is that purple with green polyp Acro a secale? I got the BC Secale from Battle Corals recently and it looks similar (except the flesh color is a darker purple). I am hoping I can keep the color up.

No, this is a bit different, not as many Polyps or as large. Mine is coloring up as I increase nutrients. Colors are recovering from move and set up now. Should have a very nice deep purple skin color. I have found it like light and will deepen in color with more light.

Aaron

Okay, interesting. Now that I have my skimmer/GFO reactor working, my nitrates and phosphates both dropped to 0.00. Hopefully the drop in nutrients don't cause things to pale out. I started dosing Acropower until I get more fish.

Okay, interesting. Now that I have my skimmer/GFO reactor working, my nitrates and phosphates both dropped to 0.00. Hopefully the drop in nutrients don't cause things to pale out. I started dosing Acropower until I get more fish.

Got that skimmer working, great! I've heard good things about acro power. I think fish are very important for keeping SPS. My plan is fewer bigger fish. Tangs, one because my family loves this type because they swim a lot and are showy. Also like them because they pick at algae.

Aaron

Just ordered my Tunze 6105 w/controller pump. Also ordered the 0-10v cable to connect to the APEX. All from BRS! For the 10% Tunze pumps this week!

This should have a great addition to my existing MP60. I feel the end of my tank wasn't really getting the flow it needed. Looking for programming ideas for the Tunze.

Aaron

A small tidbit of info I picked up last year reading some posts from reefvet, who is not around much but very informative when he does pop in:
Acropower is aspartic acid. Yes, a yummy amino for corals but other brands contain much more comprehensive amino complexes.
Anyways, he said that feeding tangs sheets of nori will actually produce a good amount of aspartic acid as the fish eat and digest the nori.
This way, you get the aspartic acid naturally along with the other benefits of fish waste- assuming nutrients are in check..

A small tidbit of info I picked up last year reading some posts from reefvet, who is not around much but very informative when he does pop in:
Acropower is aspartic acid. Yes, a yummy amino for corals but other brands contain much more comprehensive amino complexes.
Anyways, he said that feeding tangs sheets of nori will actually produce a good amount of aspartic acid as the fish eat and digest the nori.
This way, you get the aspartic acid naturally along with the other benefits of fish waste- assuming nutrients are in check..

Tangs and SPS seem to go together. unfortunately won't cut it on my 40 gallon.

Wow, good info. Well I should be all set once my Naso and Regal Blue are out of QT. They will join my Kole eye and Yellow tangs. I like tangs.

Aaron

New Stock.

024d68b586242ad1811250885c6e9a78.jpg
620a1fe5869d963855c9e56420d4ae36.jpg
20567002d0c63449fa560a2b56c4567b.jpg

These where taken just hours after receiving, dipping, and inspecting. Seems a good sign when new coral pops right out after you add them.

Aaron

Yeah, good looking pieces

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Thank you, I certainly want a strong emphasis on SPS, especially acros. Though I'm going to fill this tank so other types are need to fill other areas. I like this mix that I got in, everything looks well.

Aaron

Tanks looking good. But that brute bin your skimmer is in scares the bejebus out of me seeing how bowed it is. One small crack away from a mess and a tank crash.

Also-is that pvc pipe in your Rubbermaid sump helping hold that shelf up? :lolspin:

Tanks looking good. But that brute bin your skimmer is in scares the bejebus out of me seeing how bowed it is. One small crack away from a mess and a tank crash.

Also-is that pvc pipe in your Rubbermaid sump helping hold that shelf up? :lolspin:

Randy used Brute trash cans in sump system for many years. The material they are made from and the thickness of the material make them extremely durable.

Lol, the shelf is mounted to the wall with heavy gauge L-brackets and screwed into the studs. When first set up it did sag a little in the front, but all the weight was over the mounts. However I kept hitting my head on it until I raised it up some. Problem solved.

As you can see, these are heavy duty.
2d24fe191b6bfc8de4d6fc4192fe2e56.jpg

Aaron

Hey Aaron,
I found that my one and only acro responded best to a whole lot of flow running over it. I also love tangs...only have one...a Purple...Juvenal...who unfortunatley unseated the acro and it rolled onto the acan below:( pretty sure its a gonner.
Love the tank.....following

Hey Aaron,
I found that my one and only acro responded best to a whole lot of flow running over it. I also love tangs...only have one...a Purple...Juvenal...who unfortunatley unseated the acro and it rolled onto the acan below:( pretty sure its a gonner.
Love the tank.....following

Thank you!

Acros do respond well to flow, and though I have a powerfull MP60QD its not enough for me. Tomorrow morning I will have my new Tunze 6105 that will assist me hitting the far end of the tank and I will be adding a second in a few weeks. My Goal is at least 75X's turn over in the display.

Thank you for the kind words, I know that my system isn't as nearly impressive as some here but my goal is to show that the average family man can accomplish something beautify and satisfying with out a glass celling budget.

How do you like those red tops? Do they hold a charge a long time? I used to run dune buggies and we used those because they are spill proof. I read that blue tops hold charge longer with less output for marine purposes and yellow tops are higher voltage and discharge.

How do you like those red tops? Do they hold a charge a long time? I used to run dune buggies and we used those because they are spill proof. I read that blue tops hold charge longer with less output for marine purposes and yellow tops are higher voltage and discharge.

Your right, the red tops are just what I could get at the time and a good deal. Really any lead-acid 12V battery will do. Even better would be order a couple of true deep cycle batteries. The read tops work great and I'm sure as long as I keep them clean and the BatteryMinder working these batteries are going to last me many years. The BatteryMinder keeps them in peak condition at all times and I think that is the real key to keeping them functional, more so than just the battery its self.

Back