The Family Coral Tank

bif24701

I've decided to post my system on this forum for two reason, first for inspiration to those that are working toward their dream systems (seams can come true!), second I need to learn the finer points of keeping an SPS coral tank. This is my family and I dream system. I've been working hard the last 8 month in accumulating the equipment I now have for this build. Knowing I would have to relocate at some point because the older housing on Eglin Air Force base was to be torn down and everyone relocated to new builds. The new house floor plan worked out well. The perfect spot for the 180 gallon display shared a wall with a storage area in the garage. I know them I would put all my filtration equipment there plumbed into my display through the wall. Moving the tank itself took days with the breakdown and setup. Completed just a week ago I'm very happy with it and glad I decided to go through with it.

Here is the display
af4f07902e42a1f56eb08a05294bafea.jpg

Lighting: 2 each Kessil AP700

Flow: single MP60, with DIY battery backup, on NTM. This mode create a great back and forth flow through the whole display with no dead spots at full power. I will look into adding more flow when/if corals fill in the display.
fa7427742dca2fc301a7523ea0170dc2.jpg

Provides 4 days power in battery back up mode (calculated)

My filtration includes a SRO-5000 internal skimmer. It sits in a Brute 20 gallon tote and receives water directly from the display then drains into my main sump, 100 gallon Rubbermaid stock tank.
9802c1d46e2dd7c655a826644c05fd10.jpg
935e6ec42888708464a7005817b237d7.jpg

I just recently utilized my old sump (40 breeder) as my Cheato refugium. I am happy with this setup as it keeps the Cheato tumbling and has grown as fast is not faster then I've ever seen.
38804a04f590d7a4713fe97c4a984d6c.jpg
It is feed off my return pump (RO-DC-5500) manifold.

I like having a DC return pump for the control, though this one isn't APEX compatible, I can reduce flow for feeding or maintenance with a button push. I have plans to upgrade the controller and power supply turning this pump into the new VarioS-6 Controllable DC Pump (1720 GPH), APEX compatible!

Other equipment:
BRS Dual Reactor
800 watt titanium heater Finnex
APEX gold, with added EB8
Two part dosing BRS pumps and tanks (not needed right now)
32 gallon Kalk holding Brute
5 Stage RO/DI, 150gpd water saver
Jeabo RW-8 for flow within sump

Livestock:
Yellow Tang
Kole Eye Tang
Picasso Clown with helmet
2b6810d11a18e1454aba2a01c48281e4.jpg

2 red serpent star fish, love these guy but wife says they are creepy
Few snails
SPS corals mostly
GBTA
e32361ad23855ca766b92c853d3a43c8.jpg

Acan LPS
124458d30d1209974a570f8acee2cfff.jpg

I don't take many pictures of the coral because I'm not great at getting them to look right and well I'm just starting out so they are small and tiny.

Right now I add about 2.25 liters of saturated Kalk for my ALK and Cal needs. I use two part to make adjustments when needed like after a water change. I have all I need to dose two part automatically with my APEX however not needed as my Kalk provides all I need, for now.

For nutrient out put I employ several systems. MarienPure block, Cheato, NOPOX (2ml daily), large skimmer, and most over looked IMHO high quality large size Pulkani Rock.

Testing is mostly done with Red Sea Pro kits. However I use Hanna for ALK because it's fast and easy, very fast/very easy, and ULR phosphorus.

ALK: 9.5
Cal: 425
Mag: 1400

Only additive I use is the NOPOX and Selcon with feedings. I feed a lot! Nutrients in my system are low, NO3 is <.25ppm and PO4 is <.025ppm. I feed Nori, Hikari frozen and dry all types and some reef chilli from BRS.

I want to add more Tangs, possibly Blonde Naso, Powder Blue, and/or Regal (blue) tang. Also looking at a Magnificent Foxface. We did have a thriving Green Manderin goby until he was chopped in half my my MP60.

Also looking to add a Avast Swabbie neck cleaner and DIYing a skimate locker myself.

Now that we have moved and settled in I will look to stock for my display. I plan to purchase Battle Corals and/or WWC and what I can find locally from my club.

This is our first real effort to a full blown SPS coral tank and I am looking to learn as we go.

I also keep Discus, rift lake cichlids, high tec planted, Angles, and my son has a biocube with clownfish and few softies.

I have QT each for all fish and coral newcomers.

Aaron

I feed a lot because of low nutrients. NO3 is <.25 and PO4 <.025. I use Hikari foods frozen and dry, all types. Selcon is added .75-1ml each day, and I also include some BRS Reef Chille. Noir is offered on a clip for the tangs, I also recently am trying some red seaweed.

The PE on all my coral is just outstanding, especially feeding time.

I run ROX carbon in my reactor and have since removed GFO.

Aaron

7b327e398fb9fcf21a4d6e2009b8c6ba.jpg

Decided he would come out for a little peak tonight so I had to snap a pic. I love these guys but my wife doesn't so much lol, says they are creepy.

Aaron

Those of you whom are running the Kessil AP700s could you help me with my lighting schedule? My corals have responded well and getting better color, but with these LEDs and being so many options I am worried that I'm not supplying enough light. Thanks for your responses!
6e3d0f11928a422d495961786c08fdc1.jpg

This is my current format, I've slow gotten to this point carful not to crank it up to quickly.

Thanks

Aaron

I love this skimmer! There are chunks of skimate in the collector. I have skimate dumplings. Sorry I'm easily pleased right now with my new skimmer.
50ec2e61aed418c82bdb8c49b52fccc4.jpg

Aaron

Looking good. I love the sump setup. Following along.

Thank you, I actually put quite a lot thought into this. I lucked out when I found that Brute tote at Lowes just browsing around. It's wonderful for this skimmer. Need to add one additional drain to keep the water level more stable.

Aaron

I really dig the battery back up, being a service manager of a ford dealership I have a few optimas laying around, can you explain how you set this up? I'm in the Texas panhandle and we lose power frequent depending on tornado season and our winters!!

I really dig the battery back up, being a service manager of a ford dealership I have a few optimas laying around, can you explain how you set this up? I'm in the Texas panhandle and we lose power frequent depending on tornado season and our winters!!

Sure, first off I got a good quality BatteryMinder for ASM batteries. Then orders terminals with wing nuts, 8 gauge wire (one black one red). Finally I order the cable from Ecotech for the battery back up.

Now here I striped the battery end of the Echotech cable and added terminals that would fit on to the ones I got for the battery.

f8c2459c3c6fee114309df93b930334c.jpg

16f3c82cdad2722081cd48ca7835e65e.jpg

The key is that the batteries must be in parallel! Means with the 8 gauge wires to connected - to - and + to +. This keeps the voltage at 12VDC, important because that is what the Echotech battery provides and the Vortech accepts.

Next connect the battery minder and backup cable (positive is the line with the fuse on it) to the batteries using the wing nuts. The BatteryMinder included and attachment with terminals that attached with the wing nut lugs.

Connect the Vortech controller and test. Unplug the power cord from power source leaving the power adapter connected to the controller (don't know why this is needed but it is). The controller with flash red the steady green, this is battery back up mode.

Questions?

Aaron

Awesome! I will look into the battery minder, I run wp-40 I think they make a cable now for back up

Early birthday gift to myself. This represents that last piece of hardware I felt I really needed. I can already tell a huge difference in skim production and quality. Very happy I finally pulled the trigger and got it done.

Avast Swabbie, large.
This was the kit and very easy to install.
765d0862a2cb2fb4c25f3b07c734a20a.jpg

Aaron

This is awesome... my tank is a "family" tank too. Aaaand I'm army and waiting to start a larger tank after my ets/pcs move in February so this is a great lesson in patience. With your permission I am going to borrow your power back up too?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This is awesome... my tank is a "family" tank too. Aaaand I'm army and waiting to start a larger tank after my ets/pcs move in February so this is a great lesson in patience. With your permission I am going to borrow your power back up too?

Hey, no problem!

PCS is crazy hard on keeping long term reef tanks, I hope this is the last move for a few years.

Just in case though, I was sure to purchase DC powered equipment as much as possible. This way if we end up back in Italy or Germany I can plug all my equipment straight into the wall with only a plug adapter, no large hot transformer wasting power.

My advice is start accumulating equipment now, even before getting the tank. Buy equipment once. Get the biggest skimmer and pump you can afford, that way it can work on what ever size tank you get. I ran this tank with a SRO-1000 (4" skimmer) for 6 months no problem. All my plumbing on my tanks can be taken apart without cutting. I made sure that I can remove the bulkheads with out cutting one single thing. That way everything can be reused.

My family and I are pleased with the tank, we like to show it off when friends come over. Its something that no body ever sees, especially in the military.

Cant wait till Ive got my corals grown out some, about that same time my Naso will be close to "show" size and color.

Thanks for the advice. This is my last move, I'll finally be out. I've started planning some stuff but I'll make sure I go big with the pump and skimmer. I have a 20 going now so getting a larger tank is a dream, especially trying to do mostly sps in that. I'll also take you up on using unions throughout the plumbing so I won't need to cut either....much appreciated.

Btw. I love that clown!

Thanks for the advice. This is my last move, I'll finally be out. I've started planning some stuff but I'll make sure I go big with the pump and skimmer. I have a 20 going now so getting a larger tank is a dream, especially trying to do mostly sps in that. I'll also take you up on using unions throughout the plumbing so I won't need to cut either....much appreciated.

Btw. I love that clown!

Thanks! We love him too, need to find him a mate.

Aaron

The Family Coral Tank

With the new neck cleaner I thought the next project would be a skimate locker, but I think I can do this all on my own. I decided that 5 gallon will be the best fit for my needs. Since I don't have the usual ATO, my Kalk is dosed on timed/controlled increments not float switches. Also I would never leave allow this to go more than a week without check/cleaning unless away, and the skimmer cup holds almost a gallon anyway. I produce about a 1/4 gallon each day or more! I feel safe with this set up. Using the dual switch suggested by a friend (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DUZ4OVI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_I1HZxbWCQMZQD) just added to my security.

I soldered and environmentally sealed the connections.

Ok, so I've set my skimmer to shut off when top switch is OPEN, and sound alarm/email sent when bottom switch OPEN.

Anything I'm forgetting?

edab08eb21ca4b23af7469c5880efc9a.jpg

Aaron

Back