The Family Coral Tank

ALK is now stable. Everything looking good. Added some peppermint shrimp for aptasis control, hope they help. They seem to have chased my Serpent star out from under my rock. He seems ok though, looking for another hole to hide in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was having the same issues. I'm in a small apartment, so CO2 had significant effects. My pH was dipping into the 7.5s. I too opened a window and door about an inch and pH went up by like 0.3 on both ends. I'm in Florida too, btw.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

How are you going Aaron, keep your head down in the hurricane matey :beer:

Thank you Andrew!
We luckily dodged this one, the last one missed us by just a few miles last month.

Knock on wood I would be ok I think for a day or two no power with my back up batteries.

Here is my two month update:

Things have largely improved lately in both growth and color. Two big things, added more fish including two tangs. That has improved nutrients and now finally detectable. Also pH got a huge boost from open some windows and most importantly cracked open my garage door. It almost unbelievable how much impact this has had. Before my ph would drop to 7.75 and no higher than 7.9. Now or averages 7.3! I have seen visible growth improvement and large increase in ALK consumption. I check ALK daily and remains stable at 8.9.
1850acddca6b424d94fc10f33bbbc02e.png

Made a little video to showcase the fish and how well they are getting along.

https://youtu.be/sk_lgsPsnJo

I am looking into getting the SBreef lights Par38 Refugium LED light to improve macro production. I also want to try some products. Looking at Beightwell's Koral Color and ME Amino amino acids.

Just satisfied with my system for where it is right now. Very pleased. I do have an Aiptasia problem but I just added some nudis and I think they will help me get that under control.

Made a mistake and added a yellow clown goby that came with other fish I got from another reefer. Stupid damn thing niped all my SPS, so he is now in the nano. My son's nano! Lol
ee7bb1b389bcb39c03781ff5bdc95b63.jpg

Tried adding the purple tang but that didn't work for the yellow tang. The purple is much smaller so I put him back in QT and will fatten him up until I get an acclimation box or catch the yellow and add him to the QT with the purple.

All else is well and happy!

https://youtu.be/qcJL6OMPvtI

Update:
Added my purple tang and seems to be getting along ok. Chased around by the yellow a little but I think though he is much smaller he is holding his own.

Corals are all growing and doing well. Also color is there.

b2b2785a7c88fd24ca262679a8ce1c62.jpg

8496f52880a6ef55d402a3398fe62094.jpg

30bf606aecfe1d925efa4f12cf31a852.jpg

Nice back up battery setup

Thank you, it's been tested/used several times already and ensures that my fish/coral have no problem in extended power outages. I though to keep it as simple as possible to ensure reliability.

I was able to take some cool night time photos with my phone.

The system as it stands today is less than 3 months old and I've got growth on all corals and they seem healthy and happy. All my tangs are getting along very well, all 5 of them....

My Kalk top off system is great. So simple, I'm actually starting to get a little bored. I want to try some Koral Color by Brightwell to improve color growth. But after a lot of research I'm not sure anything beyond proper light/flow/and ALK affects growth much. In fact I've considered taking my AP700s from 70% intensity to 50 or55%. Maybe I should do nothing at all and just maintain. I would like to hear input from the more experienced SPS folks.

348d914a80b1e281c3e787465fb48e0e.jpg

9347cc55da88e607118d5a136864e576.jpg

366ebcc39920cd3fb5584e1d72e55323.jpg

0ccc704bbcc33bb8e248ca332e8fb8a7.jpg

3a761351dc40c1f6a144c03a5676b507.jpg

6ba93813ab1f8760e2970d705a5d646a.jpg

1dc7d3f194522d65a83b561268e0fb29.jpg

Like any good SPS keeper, just doing some upkeep. I don't see much if any detritus in my main sump so decided to have a look in my skimmer section and found lots. This is after siphoning.

0b105afc1181412f09f0676d05abc62e.jpg

Cleaned the skimmer too because why not.

Feeding the Tangs

https://youtu.be/oNRrf5J2ek8

c9d05eb2abceee4c3f0ec7fd904ca0fa.jpg

Picked up a Copper Band Butterfly fish, doing well in QT. Just ate like a pig, might even feed him a bit more tonight later.
7e6cc872c92b07bc07dcba4dabdaebd0.jpg

Hopefully he will help curb this aiptasia problem, it's getting embarrassing. They haven't hurt any corals yet but they are are ugly. So getting some nice pictures of my corals without them is not really possible now.

If by end of this month the nudis haven't done much I'll order another 10. They have grown from 1/4" to almost a full 1" in less than a month. I see them at night. Unless they are able to reproduce however I fear this will be extremely costly route to go with. That's why I got the Copper Band today, but it will be weeks before he is done in QT.

Hi,

Some species of yellow clown gobies do feed on polyps. The green clown goby with the red stripes on the face and body are the best for acropora. They will destroy an area of a coral when making a place to lay eggs. Other than that, one in a tank will cause no problems. Your tank is looking good......................Jim

Hi,

Some species of yellow clown gobies do feed on polyps. The green clown goby with the red stripes on the face and body are the best for acropora. They will destroy an area of a coral when making a place to lay eggs. Other than that, one in a tank will cause no problems. Your tank is looking good......................Jim

Why couldn't he eat the Aiptasia! Cool looking fish, and active. Not way he was going to nip at my coral through.

I want to start a trace elements program and need some input from you guys. I was thinking of the KZ 123&4 package.

What do you guys dose, why and how? Thank you for your help.

It looks like your montis are growing well, especially the encrusting ones. My sunset is sitting there like a dud.

Everything has really started to grow well since I have improved my pH, now averages about 2.25.
1570aa376d1442703b99f427fd6cdd0d.jpg

The red monti cap in the back has really begun to grow well now. Great bright color too.

Got some new stock this week.

First ever clam.
3c43936737fef070362ac8b4f432bd25.jpg

Some Bartlett Anthias
70aaf26f4ddadca1900c7e4dd45758b0.jpg

A bunch if f new acro frags. They are great!
526276574df84579681d06c95ceecb45.jpg

I have very happy with the progress.

I've also ordered the KZ complete coral care system 1,2,&4. I skipped the AA bottle, I have enough nutrients going into my tank. My goal for this system is improved health, color, and growth of my acros.

I had to take all my fish out for treatment. Corals are well but my Nitrates have dropped to zero.
I'm want to dose potassium nitrate to help that situation.

Any advice?

There are some stump remover products at home reno stores (very cheap) but I don't know how strong they are.
I have used Seachem Flourish Nitrogen - designed for freshwater planted aquariums and it has always done the job of moving my nitrates.
Usually easy to find and even though it's a liquid and not as concentrated as the powders, you still shouldn't need tons of it to get nitrates off the ground.

There are some stump remover products at home reno stores (very cheap) but I don't know how stirring they are.
I have used Seachem Flourish Nitrogen for planted aquariums and it has always done the job of moving my nitrates.
Usually easy to find and even though it's a liquid and not as concentrated as the powders, you still shouldn't need tons of it to get nitrates off the ground.

I actually just ordered the stump remover. Hopefully it's here before I get any tip burning. My phosphates are about .04

Ok so time for an update. I bought several items to see if they can help out some of my corals.
bd49a82f976bdbc7d489a006e4282e81.jpg

I picked up this stuff in a Black Friday sale and been doing half dose. Noticed some green turf algae in some places so and my PO4 was higher than normal.

Also picked up these
0fc846cb34da0802ccf38642229a8084.jpg

Acro Power to feed the coral because all my fish are in QT.
The MicroBactor-7 to help bacteria population balance, heard good things.
The Phosphate RX I want to try small amounts to prevent GFO usage and need.

My new frags have ok PE and color increase in most. Started to encrust the plugs and some have even growth tips.
970b064315b3cc5cd8d30ffd543e0ffa.jpg

I'm going to get a tooth brush and scrub that algae off the plugs, its like the only place I've seen it.

Back