The good the bad and the ugly acro crab thread

This is a good reference thread you started Michael so i'm bumping it back up top - still see lots of good/bad acro crab questions so let's keep the reference pics flowing :)

Question: How large should a coral be to (safely) support a commensal crab?

The crabs will live in anything that has enough cover for them to be able to safely hide from predators generally. If you have a small branch say 2-3" with deep enough branching that the crab can nestle into and feel out of anythings reach you will be good to go. Stylo crabs are huge compared to the small acro crabs and will try to keep ownership of multiple stylo frags despite only being able to hide behind the frag rather than it it lol. They will aggressively posture at you if you put your hand near their piece of stylo. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow of one i have that's particularly agro and waves his big claws at anything coming near him including the fish and my hand. I saw him actually touch the yellow tangs nose one day with a swipe and the gutless fish hid in the rocks for half an hour afterwards lol.

This little guy is snow white and about the size of your little fingernail - he's tiny. He took up residence in the acro branch i glued upside down for an experiment months back when i placed it in the LED sump tank - stopped growing and turned light brown. I had lots of bits and pieces in there and he obviously liked the weird digs better than his other home. I put the acro in the display 2 weeks back and it'll soon be white with blue polyps again after it recovers from the blue/white LED it was languishing under. It's already losing the light brown color and the polyps are turning blue again as is the encrusting around the branch bases :)

I got a new camera phone so better pics.

6_zpsb1bcb166.png~original

This is a good reference thread you started Michael so i'm bumping it back up top - still see lots of good/bad acro crab questions so let's keep the reference pics flowing :)

The crabs will live in anything that has enough cover for them to be able to safely hide from predators generally. If you have a small branch say 2-3" with deep enough branching that the crab can nestle into and feel out of anythings reach you will be good to go. Stylo crabs are huge compared to the small acro crabs and will try to keep ownership of multiple stylo frags despite only being able to hide behind the frag rather than it it lol. They will aggressively posture at you if you put your hand near their piece of stylo. I'll try to get a pic tomorrow of one i have that's particularly agro and waves his big claws at anything coming near him including the fish and my hand. I saw him actually touch the yellow tangs nose one day with a swipe and the gutless fish hid in the rocks for half an hour afterwards lol.

This little guy is snow white and about the size of your little fingernail - he's tiny. He took up residence in the acro branch i glued upside down for an experiment months back when i placed it in the LED sump tank - stopped growing and turned light brown. I had lots of bits and pieces in there and he obviously liked the weird digs better than his other home. I put the acro in the display 2 weeks back and it'll soon be white with blue polyps again after it recovers from the blue/white LED it was languishing under. It's already losing the light brown color and the polyps are turning blue again as is the encrusting around the branch bases :)

I got a new camera phone so better pics.

6_zpsb1bcb166.png~original

Great looking crab and it's sad because I always removed this type of crab thinking it was a bad one. Now that I know better I can't find acros with them anymore lol thanks for posting the picture and that little crab looks super happy.

Great reference lists there!

I'm wondering if you guys can help here: one of these look like Cymo melanodactylus crab but the other one.. I can't say what it is:

j67tcy.jpg

The lower left one looks like a Tetralia sp. - i have at least 20 of these good guys living in my acros. The top right one is not a commensal crab imo and i wouldn't trust it with acros.

Back