The Guide to get rid of dinoflagellates

guys need yr help!!!

Can dinoflagellates spread from one tank to another?? setting up a new tank but tank I have now has dinoflagellates shall i discard all coral from my old tank containing dinos?

thanks

guys need yr help!!!

Can dinoflagellates spread from one tank to another?? setting up a new tank but tank I have now has dinoflagellates shall i discard all coral from my old tank containing dinos?

thanks

If carbon dosing is helping, then I doubt you have "perfect water". What I've expeienced is when I carbon dose, some algae dies off, but then what ever dominate alga you have now has that much more nutrients to take over. That along with dino being a cross over between algae and bacteria, makes me wonder if dosing really could help.

I know in my tank, I have had, and still do have dinos. If I dose, they come out like crazy, so I dont dose, do WC, and they are barely visable

could it be??...

could it be??...

I have a 12 gallon nano cube (my first ever aquarium, for about 9 months now), and issues have been constantly arising, snail death, unhappy corals, cyano, hair algae, etc. I have gotten several different answers as to possible causes and fixes for these things, but I have had a bit of an infestation of brown/slimy/bubbly stuff for a few months now, and am beginning to wonder if they are dinoflagellates and if they could be the sole cause of my troubles.
soo....
a) how do I know if they are dinoflagellates?
b) If they are, how do I know if their the type that will respond to nitrates?
c) What is a way to rid my tank of the dinos that won't break the bank?

I also had the same issue with dinos, for almost a year. To me it was triggered by vodka dosing, and I tried the lights out for 4 days with no luck either. I also got rid of the sand bed, and so far no dinos for 2 months. As an added bonus, maintenance is now really easy also, never going back to sand.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Some salt mixes have "vitamins" added. IMO the extra carbon in them can feed dino's. I don't think that inorganic trace elements (other than phosphate and nitrate) have much, if any, impact on Dino growth.

I use Kent salt and do 12% weekly water changes. It has some sort of vitamin added. When I occasionally see signs of Dino's: I suck all traces of it from the system while doing a bigger than normal water change with Instant Ocean; add GAC; and do a 3 day lights out. I did this twice last year. Seems to work.

Will lights out for that long (three days like you said) upset anything in the tank? corals especially, mine are a little stressed right now and I don't want to worsen the problem.

~also, should I feed during lights out, or would that just confuse everyone?

well ,I've done a little under three days with no lights, and a heavy towel on top of the tank, and while the lights were out there were no signs of dinos, but once the lights were back on the dinos came back after a day. They're really stressing out my corals, and I'm pretty sure they're effecting my snails, too!

I'm currently battling "dino" right now going on 3 weeks now, gotta say its the most annoying frustrating things I've ever had in my system, not exactly sure where it came from but I've narrowed it down to a few possibilities...I recently starting dosing instant ocean reef accelerator right when the outbreak started also few Wc's back I used an old bag of reef crystals on a few changes(was opened for 3 weeks but had some moisture in it so had clumps of salt that I mixed up with anyway:hammer:) finally i added a few frags to the tank I got off ebay that I could of introduced that way...i can't pin point 1 thing but from everything I've read in the past people had trouble with every one I mentioned....I def have the Dino on the retreat with the way I been attacking it so from my experience I would recommend first stop doing wc's for a while instead siphone your sand bed and rock everyday scrub you glass and get as much off and floating around and scoop as much as you can with a fish net out use a Turkey baster to blow it off your rock and corals also after you've sphioned what you can run your sphioned water through a filter sock and pour it back in your tank do this as much as you can...also go lights out for two days off two on for a week corals will be 100%OK... Stop feeding for a few days when you feed do it extremely light...ive been dosing hydrogen peroxide at 1 ml/10g... Keep a filter sock on your water inlet to your Sump I had to clean it twice a day it ts gunked up fast...keep you skimmer clean so its running 100%...i elevated my ph to 8.6... I found the trick is to remove as much as you can by hand constantly and don't think just methods gonna clear it up over night...most people run into trouble when they don't start to attack the Dino immediately a wait till its extreme think wcs will fix the it...I'm still fighting it but its at about 15%of what it was 3 weeks ago hopefully few more weeks it'll be all gone..also just read its seasonal and blooms during spring time ironically its peak spring here....good luck!

Desperate

Desperate

Hi everyone. I hope someone can help me. Here are the pictures of what I have in my 12 gallon nano-reef. They are long threads with bubbles on them. They can get to a foot or more in length. I have six to seven in my tank every morning. I suck them out with a turkey baster. But the next morning they are back. Are these dinoflagellates? Is there any updated news on what can be done about them? Thanks to everyone in advance for any help.

Attachments

• corals 002.jpg
    corals 002.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 1
  • corals 001.jpg
    corals 001.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1
Hi everyone. I hope someone can help me. Here are the pictures of what I have in my 12 gallon nano-reef. They are long threads with bubbles on them. They can get to a foot or more in length. I have six to seven in my tank every morning. I suck them out with a turkey baster. But the next morning they are back. Are these dinoflagellates? Is there any updated news on what can be done about them? Thanks to everyone in advance for any help.

sorry to say that it sounds like it fits the bill of dinos. this thread hasn't been active for a year, you may want to look at these:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?p=22606609

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2307000&page=5

I have developed a novel method to eliminate dinos.

1. Inadvertently remove your temperature probe from your sump thereby convincing your controller the water is the same temp as the air.
2. Make sure your first cold day is at the end of a three-day weekend.
3. Let your tank temp hit 90.
4. Let about $ 600.00 worth of corals cook.

Viola, no more dino's. Surprisingly, some corals survived and so did all but one fish.

Attachments

• 63400_10152356367367890_978780080090334322_n.jpg
    63400_10152356367367890_978780080090334322_n.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 1
I just got this last week and it's covering my tank. I can't remove my sand bed (about 500lbs).

My sea hare just died - at the same time... ?

you realize his post is from 2009.

Photobucket worked fine until 2017 when they forced most members to pay a "hostage" fee or they remove their ability to post in third party forums. The fee was exorbitant and broke thousands of image links all over this site and many others.

This was actually a useful thread when I starting dealing with my dinos and found this author sharing his experience.

There are other dino threads and the general conclusion aligns. It is that overzealous reef keepers who drive nitrates or phosphates to zero kill off algae and create the perfect dino environment. The remedy is to foster algae again by increasing N or P to achieve the natural balance again.

This is what i call an idiot. Posts a lengthy guide and uses photobucket to upload pics rather then uploading pics directly to the forum post itself

If he is a idiot why do u care what he does in his posts. It’s not like u need to learn anything from him. 90 percent of this forum was using photobucket, with all of us idiots it may not be the forum for u. Do u not realize this op was from 8 years ago.

Dying?

Dying?

How do you know when they are dying? I don't see "œmore" but still stringy junk on my rocks. Do I just scrub it off??

It's been 2 months after I bought new lights, a protein skimmer and UV filter to upgrade my 75gal.
I've fought these things daily. From H202 to black outs and more.

For 2 years, no issues. After dumping $$ I have learned my lesson that this is not for me. I'm tired of them. Tank looks worse than ever.

Back