the guys from tanked and petco are joining forces

Status
Not open for further replies.
i have read the replies. some of you love petco and some dislike it. I personally dislike petco. I cant be won over by the cheapest prices and illusion of "trained experts". At the end of the day they are the burger kings of the pet industry. Just like everything if you want quality products you DONT shop at a conglomerate. if you want the best burger in town you dont go to mcdonalds. you go to the mom and pop burger shop on the corner(idk why im talking about food i guess im hungry lol). I would rather spend the extra buck to support the small business that gets in better and healthier stock and makes the attempt to keep them alive, then selling out to save a dollar. your lfs the employees are often hobbyists themselves and give more accurate information and actually care about the animals they sell and are not there just for a pay check(well at least at my lfs).

In addition, tanked has is on the verge for destroying the hobby. you can boycott the show by not watching it and not promoting what they do and products. I am so disappoint with animal planet for even letting a show like this on the air. if you want to expand the hobby then do it the right way and teach the basics on cycling and maintenance. show how the filtering systems work and explain how to care for corals. dont just fill a tank up and dumping a bunch livestock in it and act like thats how its done. they use the excuse its all just for "entertainment". thats like them having a dog training show that uses negative reinforcement like a electric shock as the reinforcement to an action. it may work but it can causes harm to the animal. if you see entertainment in that you are a disgrace to the hobby...

I was actually surprised when I was in a local pet store that did a bit of everything today. A guy who had never had an aquarium of any kind wanted a shark tank. The sales guy told him it could be done, but promptly continued to tell him everything that was involved, and what kind of investment of both time and money the guy was in for. He did say the only tank they had that "might" work was a 120g that they had. But he also emphasized that it wouldn't be able to house the shark for long.
A bit OT i guess, but I liked the fact that even though saltwater wasn't their emphasis (more reptile oriented), he wasn't willing to take a quick $1500 sale just to move some product.

Guys, remember, its a TV show. I think its dumb too. But like any television show, its entire purpose is to sell ad space. Ratings rule that world, its not a public service bulletin made to educate people on the fir points of fishkeeping.

Guys, remember, its a TV show. I think its dumb too. But like any television show, its entire purpose is to sell ad space. Ratings rule that world, its not a public service bulletin made to educate people on the fir points of fishkeeping.

rating rule because we let them. just change the channel and they will start to lose, but i want to go a step above that and get it taken off the air or show how to do it properly. for example, Beavis and Butt-head was taken off the air back it the early 90's because kids burned down their houses because they saw it on tv. they said they saw Beavis and Butt-head play with fire and thought it was cool. unfortunately some people are dumb and do everything they see on tv. NEWS FLASH!!! nor everything on tv is real or in this case done properly...

Trying to boycott ATM lol not sure if serious OP. You do realize before they started their own show their company was already big. They obviously are doing something right to get that far in having a huge company in Las Vegas. Like mentioned before is a freaking show. There's a YouTube video where Bret from ATM explains that they understand people look at them the wrong way thinking they are doing everything wrong because they don't go in to detail. But they mentioned this new season they will try to add more educated information about salt water tanks.

rating rule because we let them. just change the channel and they will start to lose, but i want to go a step above that and get it taken off the air or show how to do it properly. for example, Beavis and Butt-head was taken off the air back it the early 90's because kids burned down their houses because they saw it on tv. they said they saw Beavis and Butt-head play with fire and thought it was cool. unfortunately some people are dumb and do everything they see on tv. NEWS FLASH!!! nor everything on tv is real or in this case done properly...

You cut living creatures in half with frag saws, scissors, and fragging supplies, glue them to rocks, and put fish in a glass box for your on enjoyment and hope they don't die...but you cry and complain that the guys from ATM didn't show you how to test for Nitrates? Sounds like you need a new hobby. I bet you don't care about the millions of pounds of fish that are slaughtered everyday either. But your mad Brett didn't say on t.v. that you shouldn't put a Vlamingi Tang in a 55gallon tank. Your not making the hobby better, your hurting it. I guess the sayin still applies Haters gonna Hate. They'll continue to make millions of dollars and be an extremely successful company that was built from the ground up and you can go back to boycotting because Wade didn't tell you on TV what size return pump to use on a 500gallon tank....Good luck. I'll would rather take the latter of the two.

You cut living creatures in half with frag saws, scissors, and fragging supplies, glue them to rocks, and put fish in a glass box for your on enjoyment and hope they don't die...but you cry and complain that the guys from ATM didn't show you how to test for Nitrates? Sounds like you need a new hobby. I bet you don't care about the millions of pounds of fish that are slaughtered everyday either. But your mad Brett didn't say on t.v. that you shouldn't put a Vlamingi Tang in a 55gallon tank. Your not making the hobby better, your hurting it. I guess the sayin still applies Haters gonna Hate. They'll continue to make millions of dollars and be an extremely successful company that was built from the ground up and you can go back to boycotting because Wade didn't tell you on TV what size return pump to use on a 500gallon tank....Good luck. I'll would rather take the latter of the two.

dang. y'all reef central dudes are something serious. all I can say is......GOT EM!

12 Things to Consider Before You Buy Your Aquarium (continued)
3. Patience and the nitrogen cycle

You may think that because your water starts out fine as you begin your setup, that it will remain that way. Not true. As you add fish to your aquarium, their waste produces harmful chemicals. Fortunately, nature provides a solution in the form of bacteria that break down these toxic chemicals into relatively harmless chemicals. The process nature uses to eliminate toxins from the tank is called the nitrogen cycle. Fish excrete toxic ammonia as part of respiration, and decaying fish waste and uneaten food produces additional ammonia. As the nitrogen cycle begins, the ammonia is converted by special kinds of bacteria into nitrites (which are also harmful), and these are then converted into nitrates. Excess nitrates can be controlled through partial water changes. The bacteria required for this process build slowly on the surface of your filters and gravel or substrate, and the process can take up to six weeks, starting from the day that you first add fish to your aquarium. (Estimate longer times if your tank setup requires a lower temperature.)

Developing enough bacteria to maintain the health of your aquarium requires both time and patience on the part of the beginning aquarium hobbyist. You will need time to "cycle" the tank. There are various recommendations on how to accomplish this. The number one rule is to go slowly. This means, at first, you may only add some plants. After about two weeks, add a few hardy fish which are tolerant of changing water conditions. You should start with fewer fish than your aquarium can hold, then add any additional fish over a period of weeks, allowing the ecosystem in the aquarium to readjust (recycle) in between. Each step needs to be gradual so the bacteria have enough time to multiply and break down the increasing amount of waste products.

Until the nitrogen cycle is functioning normally, it can be a stressful time for new fish and for you. It is a good idea to have an ammonia test kit on hand to monitor the nitrogen cycle by testing the water regularly. Despite the temptation to make changes to your aquarium, it is important that you not intervene unless ammonia or nitrite levels become intolerably high for long periods of time (temporary highs in both ammonia and nitrite levels are a part of the process). You should also avoid adding too many fish while the nitrogen cycle is being established, because you will disrupt the bacterial growth. As the cycle naturally progresses, the fish already in the aquarium can gradually adjust to changing water conditions with slightly elevated ammonia or nitrites. New fish might find these levels deadly.

Once the nitrogen cycle is completed, your aquarium will be able to detoxify constant levels of ammonia and other chemicals as long as you maintain the bacteria colony. Keeping those colonies healthy, or optimizing the amount of bacteria in the aquarium can be a function of the type of filtration equipment that you choose to use.

That is from the Tanked website. Seems pretty responsible to me.

I know there is a very good chance that everything is going to stay the way it is and these post wont even put a dent in their whole operation, but at least im trying. im trying to make people aware of whats happening and not promoting something that is wrong. with every. you seem like the type of that just goes go with the flow like a moth to the flame. someone who is too lazy or dumb to think for yourself and believe what ever is told to you.

fragging has been proven to put less pressure on the reefs because less is taken to meet the demand. also make aquaculture companies are cultivating coral by the means of fragging. this process doesn't hurt the coral if done properly. in addition while corals do have a nerve net it is not developed enough to process pain. let me guess next your going to say that mowing my lawn hurts the grass. maybe you should put down the physics books and start reading up on some biological sciences.

also if you are putting fish in a glass box and "hoping they live" you really need to get out of this hobby. you should buy them if you are not 100% sure they will survive in your tank.

i have worked in the aquarist trade and know how many fish are killed. in my opinion there should be a reform of the whole industry and tighter regulation on what is taken and how it is kept, but that a whole other discussion.

I know there is a very good chance that everything is going to stay the way it is and these post wont even put a dent in their whole operation, but at least im trying. im trying to make people aware of whats happening and not promoting something that is wrong. with every. you seem like the type of that just goes go with the flow like a moth to the flame. someone who is too lazy or dumb to think for yourself and believe what ever is told to you.

fragging has been proven to put less pressure on the reefs because less is taken to meet the demand. also make aquaculture companies are cultivating coral by the means of fragging. this process doesn't hurt the coral if done properly. in addition while corals do have a nerve net it is not developed enough to process pain. let me guess next your going to say that mowing my lawn hurts the grass. maybe you should put down the physics books and start reading up on some biological sciences.

also if you are putting fish in a glass box and "hoping they live" you really need to get out of this hobby. you should buy them if you are not 100% sure they will survive in your tank.

i have worked in the aquarist trade and know how many fish are killed. in my opinion there should be a reform of the whole industry and tighter regulation on what is taken and how it is kept, but that a whole other discussion.

round 2 goes to..........:uzi:.........gtstylez87

im sorry bro i cant help but instigate it. :wildone:

gtstylez, you do know that beavis and butthead is back on the air as of like 6 or so months ago??? Obviously MTV thought it had some place and is bringing it back. Also if you are worried about fish being killed in this hobby, perhaps you should go more against fishing. People who fish kill way more fish then people who are trying to keep them alive for aquariums.

I watch tanked and will continue to do so, they build very nice acrylic tanks, some are tacky some are nice. They do a lot of stuff wrong but so does some of my LFS's. I have seen good things and bad things, watching Tanked mix multiple tangs/angles/damsels in a phonebooth was bad, but the customer wanted that tank. Some of the fish will no doubt die, but that doesn't mean that they are any worse than half the fish stores around.

True, the damage done by commercial fishing with drag net trawlers is 1,000,000 times worse than the collection of livestock for hobby use.

I think this is a great move on both companies part. Yes the show is not quite as in depth as us hobbyists but neither is any reality tv show for entertainment purposes. If ATM wasnt a great company they wouldn't have a show. Im actually excited to see petco's saltwater department after this. Maybe it will become a new stop on the LFS runs.

I know there is a very good chance that everything is going to stay the way it is and these post wont even put a dent in their whole operation, but at least im trying. im trying to make people aware of whats happening and not promoting something that is wrong.

And this is where you seem to lose track of what the show is all about!
The show is not an educational one aimed at showing people the proper ways of setting up a tank, and it is not aimed at showing ALL of the details and intricasies that are so important to being successful, because the only people that really care about that stuff is US....the reef geeks!

If the show was directed at those concepts, they wouldn't have near the audience that they currently do! In the long run, they know what they are doing, and they could care less if someone like you is offended that their show is aimed to produce ratings and not necessarily educate!

And this is where you seem to lose track of what the show is all about!
The show is not an educational one aimed at showing people the proper ways of setting up a tank, and it is not aimed at showing ALL of the details and intricasies that are so important to being successful, because the only people that really care about that stuff is US....the reef geeks!

If the show was directed at those concepts, they wouldn't have near the audience that they currently do! In the long run, they know what they are doing, and they could care less if someone like you is offended that their show is aimed to produce ratings and not necessarily educate!

I absolutely agree with this. They are a show about making interesting (if sometimes gimicky) tanks. Many times I've watched it and wondered HOW in the world they think that'll work, but they make it work. I am sure that A LOT of husbandry happens behind the scenes that we NEVER see. Again, that's because they'd get cancelled for NO ratings if they tried to do this as an educational show. What they ARE doing is bring a lot of new interest to one of my favorite hobbies/pastimes/passions. Perhaps in the future they'll do an "education" episode or "behind the scenes". In the meantime, I think that pairing with PETCO to improve their current system can only possibly improve things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back