The only thing I monitor is salinity

I have maintained 10 and 20 gal nano tanks with anemone and clowns. The 10 gal has been up for 12 years.
The only parameter that I monitor is salinity. I keep it at 35.0 +/- 0.2.
I do 1 or 2 x 25% water changed weekly. I make sure that my make up water has a salinity of 35.0 +/- 0.2 and the temperature is within +/- 0.2 deg. C of the tank water. If anything doesn't look right I do a 50% water change.
With this regimen my parameters never change and I have stopped checking them a long time ago.

RTP

I would still recommend testing of alk and magnesium. Your salt replenishments are likely providing this. Fish particularly can adjust to less than optimum conditions slowly, and be ok. But tests would turn up any potentially significant deficit. Your lfs should be able to do the tests for you given a sample. Your water change regimen is very good.

Having multiple systems I've maintained over 2 decades old one sure thing is change. You never know and can't test for what most of the biology in your system is doing. Monitoring the parameters we can test (weekly to quarterly depending on parameter and personal risk/reward equation) is the best way to stay ahead of many of the problems that may arise over time.

Back