The predator- Eunicid worm

read the thread i posted. its a trap that actually works. someone just used it the other day and removed 8 of them in 3 nights from their tank....

wineman said:
Thanks for the post, your trap worked great!!!!!

Got 8 over 3 nites

Amazing that I pulled so many of those ugly critters out of my tank. Really explains a lot.

Thanks again.

Made the trap exact.....used scallop...up half the night checking it... Nothing. But I know that worm was checking it out cuz when I took the trap out of the tank this morning it felt slimy. I dont think it actually went in the trap cuz the scallop was intact. Gonna try again tomorrow night. Should I lay it on the sand or prop it up against a rock where I think the worm is?

Tank breakdown is best and gives you the most opportunity to inspect every rock and best chance to catch everyone of them

Tried again last night after not feeding my tank for two days. I was sure it was gonna work. Nothing.....I guess I know what I'll be doing next weekend.....what a PITA it's going to be to break down this tank !

you really need to double think breaking down the entire tank to get this guy out

unless you intend on breaking up all of your rocks to smithereens, or drying it all out enough in hopes of it/them bailing ship(which doesnt always work) you will most likely not be successful at anything other than destroying your reef more than this worm ever could, along with wasting a bunch of time in vain

You will be better served by watching, and instead of demolishing yoru entire reef, just pick out the one rock you saw him go into and getting him out of that one. If you see another repeat, along with continuing to try and trap him/them.

I also hate to tell you this, but more than likely what is eating your snails isnt this guy anyway, my money says you have a polyclad(s)

cool looking critters though....both of them

DSC_8208.jpg

poly1.jpg

Last edited:
I have had both of those guys in my tank... Actually I caught the Eunicid before entering the tank... Polyclad I wasn't so fortunate... :(

Have you tried taking out just the rock it's taking refuge in and doing an iodine dip or a scalding hot water dip? I had one in my tank and the hot water worked.

I'm not going to lie to you, I just couldn't bring myself to put the rock back into my tank, out of fear it had friends I might have missed...call it irrational but anything with more than ten legs and can move with lightning speed give me the major heebie-jeebies.

Good luck!

Well I've been wanting to make some other changes so now is as good a time as any.
Yes, tearing down the tank is a PITA. I set up a temporary tank in a kiddy pool and picked out the rocks I'm pretty sure are free of hitchhikers. Of course, I carfully inspected each as well. The rock thats left I will either try hypo salinity or just dry them out. But I'm sick of dealing with what ever is eating the snails !

try sticking the rock in carbonated or soda water, for some reason I remember hearing this works just can't remember for sure

don't do that if there are corals on the rock, obviously.

maybe do a search for it. i think it drives them right out of the rock...

I have not seen this worm before but I have bristle worms. Is it the same? My zoanthids has been eaten and totally peeled and carried away from the rocks too!

I always thought the culprits are either crabs or brittle stars.

Totally took the tank apart. Once I got started one thing lead to another.....I took the opportunity to alter all the things that were bothering me. It was the first reef I had ever done. When you do something the second time...it's always better. Now that it's over I'm really happy with the out come. I'm using less rock the tank is more open, room for more coral and I have much better flow. I also set the rock up in sorta 3 islands so if I ever have to remove any I can take out one section without destroying the entire tank. Oh yeah I found two polyclads.

good to hear. That's another reason why I would tear a tank down to fully re-do all the rock work to change the appearance of the tank a bit, create more space and also rid yourself of corals that you want to create space for newer specimens then give away/ trade/ sell the unwanted pieces.

Those polyclads are bad....they took out about 30 snails. I think they would eat the glass if they got hungry enough....lol

Sorry, I should have been more specific with my question. I also found a eunicid worm in my tank. I think it's munching my cyphastrea. Any thoughts? It's lightning fast. I just looked atthe darn thing and it shot into the rock.

Back