The Re-Plumbing of a Reef Tank

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8080888#post8080888 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by eboonaman
Your one lucky SOB Lonnie to have friends like them!!

I'm so thankful for all the wonderful friends that I have, and for all the wonderful friends I have made in this hobby :)

Ray, any reason you didn't use a ball valve between pump intake and the sump? He will have to drain the sump if there is ever a need to use the nice unions you put on both ends of the pump.

Hey guys--awesome job, and thanks for posting such great pictures for everyone to see and be jealous of :)

I thought about doing a ball valve before the pump, but changed my mind quickly because he has kids. Easy access to a ball valve like that could mean disaster. Plus, I never want to risk restricting a pump before the intake. I played that thought out for about .1 second...

If he ever has to drain the sump he can simple screw in a 2" coupling inside the sump bulkhead and elbow up out of the water . Sure, some water will come out when he opens the outter pipe, but not much more then with a ball valve.

Yeah, Ray and I Rock! ;)
Plus Kathy helped a bit wrapping threads, thanks Kath.:)

Great job guys, only question is any concerns about the pumps location or vibration noise?

This is now making wonder the downsides to moving my sump into the garage.

Thanks.
Location, we really didn't have much of a choice. If we put the sump the other way, it would've been mounted to wood that wasn't too structurally sound.

That baby is mounted with anchors to the cinderblock. Not a lot of vibration. It humms along quietly.

It's very quiet, and a lot quieter than my old arrangement :)

Sorry Kathy: Didn't mean to relegate you to a mere observer.

And, I forgot to add that Ray made these really cool miniature marshmellow guns out PVC for all the boys... And, as much fun as the boys had I think that Tracy and I had even more shooting them (I won't say what we shot at ;) )

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8116657#post8116657 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by LCGoldman
Ray made these really cool miniature marshmellow guns out PVC for all the boys...

Hey That sounds like a great idea for a workshop! what da you say there Ray?:)

chuck,

all it is 1/4 inch pvc pipe, a tee, and a cap. they sell them for about 15-20 in the catalogs. sadly enough i was able to make three for about 5 bucks. lonnie glad you and the wife enjoyed them. lol

LC I see your tank stayed full durin gthe change which looks great by the way.. How where you able to change from the flex tubing in the tank drain to PVC ? I have flex and want to go PVC but was worried about water everywhere how did that work out for you?

what we did is replace the bulkhead that had the 1" brab glued into it. there was some water that came out. about 3-5 gallons but it was just the water that was left in the over flow box.

once you get that bulkhead out just put a new one in and you can go straight pvc pipe.

What do you mean Bulkhead? Sorry new to some SW Terms....The overflow connectors under tank. They are threaded Black. If I pull the hoses off I will only get overflow water correct? Then how did he connect the PVC to those pipes. I see he didnt use the threads on it?

Water went all over the place, but we didn't make too much of a mess.
The bulkhead is that black threaded piece under your tank.

On one side we used a threaded bulkhead, on the other, slip with glue.

It's not too difficult to do. I might be able to help you.
I'm not going to volunteer him, but Ray knows a lot about plumbing too.

Mine looks alot like the picture. So if I disconnected the hoses and let it drain into a bucket no more water should come out of both fitting is that correct? The sump pipes drain at the top and the returns would empty till they seek water level is that correct?

Also is there pipe fitting for PVC that would thread on then go to standard PVC pipe...

You will always have residual water dripping out, but nothing major.

Yes, it's a threaded to slip coupling. it's best if you get both threaded and slip as female.

I always forget the sizes, but if your bulkheads are threaded on the outside, you can get a female threaded coupling and just screw it over the bulkhead. Just be sure to wrap the bulkhead thread with teflon tape. Wrap it tight. Otherwise, you can get threaded to fit inside the bulkhead.

no, some are threaded on the out side only and are slip on the inside. slip meaning if you want to glue pvc pipe into it. with a 1" bulkhead you use 1" pvc pipe. homedepot sells most of the parts you will need.

in lonnies case the 3/4" bulkhead was thread on the inside and out so we where able to use the pvc coupling. also a note when you put teflon tape on any thread fittings make sure you put the tape on in the direction the threads go on the fitting. other wise when you screw in the fitting it will leak.

Back