The Re-Plumbing of a Reef Tank

what are you planning on doing? that will make it easier for us to help you.

c'mon bill i thought we where a team. would have been nice to have brads help but he was skirt chasing.

Thanks for all the info... Mine is definitely Threaded on the outside not sure on the inside.... If anyone might know it is a Mega Flow tank with Mega Flow Plumbing kit when I bought it.... I would most likely thread on the outside anyway.....

Guys, the threads on the outside of any bulkhead fitting are straight thread and are only for the bulkhead nut which allows you to install and tighten the bulkhead to the tank. All the common plumbing fittings used in aquariums and general plumbing are tapered pipe thread, known as NPT fittings. If your looking to put a hose fitting over the outside you will most likely be trying to thread a tapered pipe thread over a straight thread, they have a different thread per inch count, and one is tapered (gets smaller the deeper you go ). Basically you are just jamming the fitting on and hoping the thread tape and the crossed thread will do the job:eek:

There are straight thread fittings available in the industry but they need some type of gasket to actually seal the joint ( think Garden hose, it is a straight type thread and the washer is the actual seal). These types of fittings would not usually be found in Lowes or Home Depot in the size you would need. I'm not even sure if the actual thread on a bulkhead even corresponds to any common industrial hose fitting.

By the way I'm sure your summer is pretty much over by now!! Still hits the high 80's here everyday:D The pool is still nice and warm.

John

Sorry Ray, I didn't want to volunteer your services.
Why aren't you out chasing skirts with him?

John,
Thanks for that info. Now I know why I have never been able to thread the outside of a bulkhead.

The inner part of an double sided threaded bulkhead is what you would be using with a male coupler. The outside is for the bulkhead nut.

The last piece of the puzzle is now in place.

Ray (onegreenray) came over this evening and drilled out the 20g tank (thank you jbollbach), and plumbed it in line (please forgive the background... I just wanted something to hide the cinderblock, etc., that was behind the tank, and this was the only thing I had laying around):

RTa2.jpg

This is now the complete set up in the equipment room (formerly known as the utility closet):

RTa3.jpg

The tank on the right is the refugium. Sand to be added. Thanks to Ray's very clever creativity, the phosban reactor is now online too. The use for the tank on the left is still to be determined. Most likely a coral propogation/grow-out tank. Less likely seahorses or an anemone/clownfish tank.

Ray also swapped out all the old PC bulbs (the question is finally answered... it wan't the ballasts, but the bulbs that were blown). Installed now are six 55w actinic PC bulbs (along with the 250w MH bulb).

The effect is totally stunning. Apparently the bulbs that I got when I ordered the PC retrofit kits are a waste. Ray recommended Coralife PC bulbs (and Cindy gave me a great deal on them), and all I can say is WOW! The colors on the corals just totally POPPED!

Attempts to take a decent picture were futile. This is the best that we could come up with:

RTa1.jpg

Last, but in Tracy's eyes certainly not least, Ray took it upon himself to clean up the mess that was the utility room (kudo's to Ray's mom :) ). This could perhaps be Tracy's favorite picture ;)

RTa4.jpg

i am just glad you are happy with the setup loonster.

ya i have to forward this to a few family memebers they never believe me when i tell them what i have been doing. lol

Great job guys..nice and clean......I like the pics especially the one of Ray in his mac daddy pose.....

Lonnie,

Looking good!

Now with large open surface of the sump, you gonna watch out for evaporation. :D Any ATO solution?

the to off will come in time. thinking of running a line for him from his ro unit once he finds the float valve he has.

Lookin' good Lonnie. :) And props to the boys too of course, I feel like Ray deserves some sort of noble title for all the crazy people he's helped out...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8205127#post8205127 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by onegreenray
Maybe bill what are you bribing me with...

A good time Sailor.;)

Thanks Liana. It's a good thing Ray's single.

yesss b/c then he has more time for annoying little people like me to come over and bug him =] or take all his RO water. muahaha. :)

when he was dating that creatureee he wasn't home a lot :(

sorry guys i am back with her, but i have more time now. working things out.

hey whos the one thats been mia since the high bar is back in season......hmmmmmm

sorry guys i am back with her, but i have more time now. working things out.

hey whos the one thats been mia since the high bar is back i season......hmmmmmm

Back