The Reef Aquarium, Vol. 3

BennyFrank

Anybody have this? I'm contemplating buying it but was just wondering how relevant it is to smaller (nano-sized) systems. It's on Amazon right now for ~$55. I have vols. 1 & 2 and they are great books, I'm sure this one follows suit.

Thanks,
Ben

I bought this a couple years back. IMO for TODAY'S reef aquaria it is "THE" book to have. Most of the info is based on larger tanks but could be scaled down to nano sized tanks. Too bad we are not closer to each other otherwise I would let you barrow mine.

I thought it was too close to vol. I, and wasn't worth the buy (if you already own vol. I). It has a good section on chemistry, but again, it's really just an "updated' version of volume I. If you can find a smoking deal on a used item (~$25), that would be the way to go. There are other (and slightly cheaper) books available that I think are better, and more pertinent/comprehensive, also.

Last edited:
Thanks for the offer Tom and if I ever visit Milwaukee I will look you up.:lol2:

jd, care to share which books you'd recommend?

I really liked Anthony Calfo's/Bob Fenner's "Reef Invertebrates," and Calfo's "Book of Coral Propagation," 2nd ed. The titles might sound a little misleading, but there was a ton of general aquarium information in both (aside from the title material), that was up-to-date, easy to read/understand, and actually pretty funny in spots (Bob is someone who would be really fun to have a beer or two with). Jay Hemdal's "Advanced Marine Aquarium Techniques" is a little older in context, but Jay is really smart. And of course, Delbeek/Sprung "Reef Aquariums," vol. I (again, or vol. III if you prefer).

Eric Borneman's "Aquarium Corals," and any of Scott Michael's fish stuff for more specific, hobby-related subjects.

Though they are pretty old, any hobbyist could still learn something from Martin Moe's works (plus you can pick them up for next to nothing on ebay and the like).

Back