The Reef Central Corner Club Thread

Hey Flip, nice build thread you have there.... whatever happened to the puffers you started with? (I did read *most* posts but I might have missed it).

Looking forward to discussing your canopy build-out. I really only have one "idea" that is workable for the curvy parts up front, which is to use a jig-saw just like you did on your stand and cut braces for the canopy sheathing to keep the curve shape. Steaming and bending wood really isn't an option.

I do not want to wimp out and have one built by a professional... Like you I love DIY/tinkering with things... 175g sump on a 90 tank for example... LOL...

ive definitely noticed a film everynow and then. whats worked for me was turning off my koralia 3 and letting any film drain. it seems to be the way the water flows in a corner. if any pumps are pointed twards the overflow, it pushes water up twards the surface not allowing any surface film to be skimmed.

works great for feeding pellets though. none go in the overflow

Chrisqueenz- i do love your lay out. i got kinda somthing like it. wall across the one side and overflow. then an island in the front right. valley layouts give great swimming/coral grow room. cant wait to see yours grown in.

heres a quick pic of my tank, id love epstein to post his, but for now i assume hes away for the holidays

t5s and leds on

S6000323.jpg

just t5s on

S6000317.jpg

actually heres a close up ive just taken, the lights have only been on an hour tbh, and the corals do come out a little more but this is the latest

2008_122525dec0044.jpg

Sorry I took so long to Join, Michael, I think this is a great Idea, I meant to respond to your PM, but w the holidays I've been a lil backed up!!!
As far the thin layer of film on top, I have one of my 3 return outlets pushing water to the overflow, sort of, it seems to do well.

Here is a link to my build thread, my tank is fairly new. I hope you can enjoy!!!
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1505179

This is a great Idea, I was able to get throughbuilding my tank w a lil creativity and the help of 4 corner tank owners, so thanks Husky, SIr John, Flfireman & Michael!!

HEre are a few pics of my tank, I began adding my corals & a few other fish, so these pics are not fully updapted yet!!
IMG_1471.jpg

IMG_1458.jpg

IMG_1377.jpg

IMG_1410.jpg

IMG_1461-1.jpg

Wow so glad i found this thread. I have a 54G corner that i've had set up since october. I love it and I dont think i'll ever go w a conventional one, despite the complications. Biggest problem i've found is there's so little space underneath for sump and extras. I seriously need an ATO.
I'll post some pics when I get home from the holidays.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14013070#post14013070 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Hookup
Hey Flip, nice build thread you have there.... whatever happened to the puffers you started with? (I did read *most* posts but I might have missed it).

Looking forward to discussing your canopy build-out. I really only have one "idea" that is workable for the curvy parts up front, which is to use a jig-saw just like you did on your stand and cut braces for the canopy sheathing to keep the curve shape. Steaming and bending wood really isn't an option.

I do not want to wimp out and have one built by a professional... Like you I love DIY/tinkering with things... 175g sump on a 90 tank for example... LOL...

Thanks man! It's always nice to hear that from people... "especially" those that are dealing with the same "nightmare." :)

I gave the puffers to a local club member. He is a nice guy and my little guys will have a good home for sure. That was my number one concern because they are what got me hooked in this hobby.

I'm working out a plan of attack for my canopy as we type on this thread. The current plan is to mod my table saw a bit, and do a kerf cut style bend to make the curve that screws us all up. Bending is actually easier than kerf cutting, but I have no experience in it. The only reason I know is because of a guy on here that did a sweet 92... can't remember his name... maybe 8_Ball, or something like that.

I have a pretty good idea for a sump but it's not my idea. I saw it on a thread for a 54g corner, but I can't (for the life of me) find the link. I'll just keep on going as time/money permits. :) Funny thing is, I already have plans for another tank, too. :lol:

This hobby is extremely addictive, but at least my family members didn't have to call and ask me what I wanted for Xmas this year. :bum:

Bernie21-very nice set up. love the branching rock at the top. i say cover that sucker in every color zoa frag you can find.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14015784#post14015784 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by kelso1980
Wow so glad i found this thread. I have a 54G corner that i've had set up since october. I love it and I dont think i'll ever go w a conventional one, despite the complications. Biggest problem i've found is there's so little space underneath for sump and extras. I seriously need an ATO.
I'll post some pics when I get home from the holidays.

welcome to the club and happy holidays, make sure you all put each other in you buddies list, i will do mine later, we can then know when were on line and start to help each other out, great posts guys, nice to see you all, hope more join in as well, every corner owner is very welcome here:)

My ears were Ringing sooo here I am .....I love my corner and quite frankly would love to get my hands on a Bigger one.....I am running a 92 with custom made walls ...a custom "L" shaped sump/refuge and a 48" dual 250 mh with atinicts setup....I an running a mag 12 for return ...into lock line which is then run down to my 4" sand bed and pointing up in 4 different spots...I am gonna get amag 18 and try for a little more flow....Skimming is with a cpr tower and rio 2100 pump....POST IS ALREADY TO LONG WINDED SORRY......

BRIAN

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14017223#post14017223 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by epstein
My ears were Ringing sooo here I am .....I love my corner and quite frankly would love to get my hands on a Bigger one.....I am running a 92 with custom made walls ...a custom "L" shaped sump/refuge and a 48" dual 250 mh with atinicts setup....I an running a mag 12 for return ...into lock line which is then run down to my 4" sand bed and pointing up in 4 different spots...I am gonna get amag 18 and try for a little more flow....Skimming is with a cpr tower and rio 2100 pump....POST IS ALREADY TO LONG WINDED SORRY......

BRIAN

thanks for coming on brian, i love your set up and hopefully some of the guys with a corner and no sump can have a good chat to you about your fantastic sump, happy holidays brian:)

@Bernie21; nice looking setup. Can you take a photo of your canopy with the "door" open.. Once close up of how the door system is connected & hinged and a far-back shot (full shot) ...

I'll post some new photos in this thread shortly... almost done my aquascaping.. but not quite...

hook it will be nice to see some shots, will be interesting how you have done it, not sure how many different layouts there can be but im intreaged

Good luck Hook up, Ill post some pics for you 2night!! I also have a L-Shaped Sump, it seemed like the way to go!!!

Back