The Reef Central Corner Club Thread

My original plan was to run just t-5's. I couldn't figure out how to get more than 4x24w in there though. After explaining the long term benefits to LED to my wife, despite the higher upfront cost, she actually gave her blessing to go led!! So at this point I am planning on purchasing Rapidled.com's
48 Premium LED DIY Kit with Dimmable Drivers
http://www.rapidled.com/servlet/the-32/48-Premium-LED-DIY/Detail

I am not sure exactly how the 48 will be spaced out...

Yes I had the same problem with the lighting configuration and space. I love the look of the canopy but the space you have with the 54 gallon is minimal exspecially when you are keeping sps. This Is why I had to hang my lights without the canopy ( ATI powermodule 24 x 8). Something has to be sacraficed..... Can't wait to see the LED's.. I'm interested in them but haven't seen a tank yet or spectrum I truly like. It looks like yours could be the first.:fish1:

I have a 92G tank and want to get a melenarus wrasse...as I am afraid of it jumping I want to create a clear netting top but have no clue how to do it because of the shape of the tank...

anyone here do it? If so how and with what materials etc??

TIA!!!!

Here's mine on a 54 corner. Sandwhiched 3/8 pond netting between 2 pieces of .090 plexi.

Attachments

• IMAG0056.jpg
    IMAG0056.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 0
A number of people here in Canada, have used Egg-Crate. This is plastic, has 1/2 inch squares and is about 1/4 inch thick. It is available at all Home Depot stores here, and comes in white, black and silver. This does not affect the lighting on my 54g tank.

As to LEDs, I have ordered the Actinic Supplement Kit from Rapid Led to add to my T5HO Current USA set of 2 24 inch and 1 18 inch fixtures, which cover the 54g very well. With these in place I have no worries about my Wrasse jumping out. This supplement kit has 12 Royal Blue LEDs

Stand Build

Stand Build

Its been a busy week but I got some more done and I hope to have a pretty productive weekend. First item since I left off was getting the stand door built. I used European style cabinet hinges. These I had left from a job so they are not stainless but I know that I can get the same in ss. We'll see how long these nickel plated hinges last.

DSCF0665.jpg

DSCF0666.jpg

The dog was curious
DSCF0668.jpg

Also purchased an inexpensive light to make working in the sump area a little easier.

DSCF0670.jpg

It lights the stand up nice.
DSCF0669.jpg

Trim

Trim

My order from Trimster came in. This stuff is great!

DSCF0678.jpg

DSCF0673.jpg

I got the hood started tonight and hopefully the base will be done and completely primed tomorrow.

DSCF0672.jpg

I also received my DJ power strip from Amazon today. I am thinking of segregating an area inside the tank just for electrical. Not exactly sure how or what but the pic below shows where I am thinking about mounting the strip.

DSCF0677.jpg

I also received my first box from BRS with my diamond hole saw, bulkheads, and gate valve. Possibly by the end of the weekend my tank will be converted to reef ready with a Herbie overflow system. We'll see.

Thanks for reading. I'd love to here some feedback and ideas.

Very nice Tundra......

I painted the inside of my stand gloss white and it's one of the best things that I have done....

Nice door frame. You could probably put in a couples of shelve for additive bottles in between the frame on the door. I have a little basket I hung as well as a feeding net. It's nice to have stuff right there so you don't have to stoop over.

Are you going to be cutting some of the back out of the stand? To allow for wiring ro plumbing?

Are you doing a controller? If so where are you planning to mount the head unit?

Thank you MSR224,

There will be holes cut out for various items in the stand and hood, plumbing, electrical, and ventilation but I haven't done any yet because the design is kind of developing as I go. I don't know to what I extent I will use controllers but the inside of the door is definitely reserved for those types of items.

-Matt

My order from Trimster came in. This stuff is great!

DSCF0673.jpg

Great looking stand! Couple questions for you - what is the species choice like in the flexi ply? Does that flexible molding take stain, and what is its composition - am assuming it is plastic or rubber-like? Great job - keep the updates up!

Jcolletteiii,

The flexi ply was only over locally as a luan. The surface of the luan is really poor quality and is intended as a base only but it will look great painted. It may be possible to get a better quality, birch perhaps, but I did not look. My intention was to paint since the beginning so this all worked out fine. The trim is an elastomer composite. I couldn't tell you much more than that other than I think it is urethane base. polyurethane glue seems to bond the best with it. I believe you can stain it but I really can't picture it looking good. Honestly, I would have gone with a very different design if I had not wanted a painted finish. The materials would have to be all rethought to make a stained finish look good and given the curvature the cost would have been more than its worth to me. I will have to look for the post but I just recently saw a build post for a really nice corner stand that was stain grade. It was not curved though and consisted of short straight sections. I'm hoping to have some more updates by the end of the weekend. I actually got sick of working in the stand this week so I drilled the tank and got started on plumbing instead.

-Matt

A productive saturday

A productive saturday

The stand is almost done, which is good because I am ready to move on to other parts of the build. A few pics:

DSCF0690.jpg

DSCF0692.jpg

My daughter chose the color. I approve though...
DSCF0691.jpg

Drilling the tank...
DSCF0686.jpg

DSCF0684.jpg

The beginnings of the Herbie overflow...
DSCF0688.jpg

Hopefully I can get the stand and plumbing finished up soon so I can move onto the led lighting system.

Thanks for reading-
-Matt

tundra1000,

Looks great. Makes me want to get started on my 92 gallon. It's been sitting in my basement for over a year now. I like the idea with the flexible molding.

That cable / chord chase is an awesome idea!

Love it!

Thanks!

Cable management is something I am going to be a little picky about. The 54 corner is a pretty small footprint and i am trying to come up with ideas to keep things as neat and organized as possible. I also need to fit 3 containers for 2-part, a dosing pump, ato with reservoir, RK2 controller, 2 BRS carbon and GFO reactors, and I'm sure a few other items will turn up:worried: Not to mention all I can fit for a sump is a ten gallon, (without building custom), and I need to squeeze a bunch of stuff in there too.

-Matt

WRT the power strip, I had a similar idea with my 92 gal corner... I question the location though. In the event of an overflow (which we would all love to think would never happen), there would be a high liklihood of an electric fire. I did a similar trick, but put everything in the canopy. All sump equipment is on a GFCI in the basement.

Quick question for all you AGA corner tank owners-

I had a 54g corner tank a couple years back that had a megaflow overflow and was drilled in the bottom, now I'm looking to purchase another one used and was wondering if anyone knows if they are all made of non-tempered glass on the bottom or if they do not come from the factory pre-drilled, do they use tempered glass?

Thanks for the help!

Quick question for all you AGA corner tank owners-

I had a 54g corner tank a couple years back that had a megaflow overflow and was drilled in the bottom, now I'm looking to purchase another one used and was wondering if anyone knows if they are all made of non-tempered glass on the bottom or if they do not come from the factory pre-drilled, do they use tempered glass?

Thanks for the help!

Nondrilled AGA tanks are tempered on the bottom.

Shoot...that kinda ruins my plans for that tank...guess I will have to keep looking for a pre-drilled one...thanks for the quick response!

Back