The Stress of adding new fish to a established system!

pciscott

Pirates Cove Reef
I quarantine fish in my 90 gallon system and usually wait at least 6 months before I let fish loose in the 400. I have been procrastinating and waited almost a year because the fish I am adding are expensive and I always worry that the dominant fish in the 400 will go all Highlander on the new fish. So Monday I decided to go for it and I dropped in A 5" Lenardi Wrasse, Gem Tang, Trio of Royal Grammas, Tail Spot Blenny, Stripped Blenny, and a pair of Pyramid Butterflies. I did put the Gem in a acclimation box because I already have several large Tangs including a Black, Yellow, and Purple that are all similar body shape to the Gem. My Powder Blue decided he did not want the new Pyramid Butterflies in Tank and started to go after one at a time chasing around the Tank. I turned the lights out and hoped for the best. The next morning the Pyramids had paired up and when the Powder came around they both chased him back and have found a spot in my Tank. The Lenardi has become the dominant Leopard, but has not bothered the others too much, and I decided to let the Gem out last night. He got chased by the Powder and a 8" Atlantic that has never bothered anything, so lights out again. This morning the Gem and the Purple are swimming around like old friends and the Tank seems peaceful again. I am ready for a Beer!

I am also Ready for some Fish for my 90 and looking for Unique Fish that you are proud of or are interesting. I prefer fish that people have had for over a year and willing to pay a premium for prime Fish. At the top of my List I am looking for a Yellow Bellied Regal Angel to add to my growing Angel Collection. I have a Joculator, Bandit, and Emperor that I got to see Transition from Juvenile to Adult(My Favorite at the moment). I am also looking for a Large Super Male Red Hooded Wrasse, as well as A Large Supermale Flame. My Tank has so many fish I do not know how many more I can add, but I am going to up my water changes and keep adding.

The Stress of adding new fish to a established system!

Great story and sounds like you have an amazing collection. I understand the desire to keep going but I am going to offer advice you didn't ask for. Quit while you are ahead. It just isn't worth it to push forward until the fish or system tell you that you went to far. Get another system if you want more fish.
Just my 2cents. I have regretted it when I ignored that little voice/intuition that was saying I needed to stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Experience on Corals is that some flourish and others not as much, the ones that Flourish take over the ones that do not. I have had some of my LPS suffer the Angels, but it is very Random and they only seem to bother things in decline. I did just loose a 12" Colony of SPS, but half was shaded pretty good so not sure why. I will try to take a update video, tank is doing well and very grown in, my largest Colony is over 18" across Pink Fury and in need of a Trim, it is shading the middle of the tank.

Great story and sounds like you have an amazing collection. I understand the desire to keep going but I am going to offer advice you didn't ask for. Quit while you are ahead. It just isn't worth it to push forward until the fish or system tell you that you went to far. Get another system if you want more fish.
Just my 2cents. I have regretted it when I ignored that little voice/intuition that was saying I needed to stop.

Thank you for the advice and I probably need to slow down, with that said I try to minimize stress in my tank and when I do get a fish that gets too Rowdy and starts being too aggressive they get voted off the island. I had to take out a beautiful pair of Crosshatch Trigger fish because they started to hurt other fish at feeding. My Tangs like to puff their chests, but most are pretty docile. I may have to get rid of the Powder Blue if he keeps up his aggression. I like having him though because he is my stress gauge in my tank, when he has no ick things are good. If it starts to show I have a problem. Territorial fish are allowed, but no Highlanders!

Someone asked me what is a Highlander? THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE! Movie reference:)

I wish I had your collection! Best of luck and keep the passion!

It's always stressful can only imagine dropping in a group like that! Nice!!! My gem got bullied and I didn't get it out in time unfortunately.

Hope to see you guys soon.

I ended up picking up a couple fish off this post. I purchased a Misbar Yellow Belly Regal and a Earlies Wrasse that are spectacular. I also pulled out some dead coral that was shaded, cleaned my sand, and scraped the Coralin off the lower glass in my tank. Note I had a couple Montis that were growing up the glass, do not let this happen! They took me hours to get off because parts of the bottom of my tank are unreachable do to coral growth. I am going to have to give my Pink Fury a Hair cut because it has almost Eclipsed 1/4 of my tank. It does not look that big from the sides, but looking down it is massive. I am going to try and add a few frags I have been cooking and get a video this week if time permits.

Scott great collection of fishes! I'm in the same boat and only have a tank 1/3 of yours. I moved some rocks around recently so that my Achilles tang have more swimming space and I think it was actually helpful...so maybe another option for you if you want to add more fishes. I really do want a bigger tank but negotiating with my wife. :D

I'd like to know your estimated fish list :) .. see if I'm already at capacity or not..

I have about 60 some fish in the 560.

1 achilles
1 blue tang
1 yellow tang
1 unicorn tang
1 Desjardini tang
1 blonde naso tang
1 orange shoulder tang
1 Dussumieri tang
1 vlamingi tang
2 xcross trigger
20 clownfish