The T5 Q&a Thread - split

Hi guys, I just got a 48 tek with 8 bulbs...was wondering what is the best combo for growth and color? Just started the tank and wanted to do a mix of sps and lps

Can anyone help me out?

Most recently I have been using 6 Blue and two purple bulbs on an 8bulb fixture, its working well, with rich color and a nice balance. Color is a personal preference and I would suggest reading through more of the thread to see various combos and pictures of the tanks that use them.

My tank is 120g oceanic tech 48' long 24 wide and 25 tall

I just gave away an Oceanic 120, great tank but deep.

The TEK fixtures are very efficient. If you want to assure you're getting good color on the sand you may want to include a wider spectrum bulb like the ATI Aquablue Special.

With an 8 bulb fixture for SPS I run 2 actinics, 4 Blue +, 1 ABS and 1 Purple +. But as usual, it's a matter of personal preference for color.

Up until two weeks ago, I ran 5 Blue+ and 3 Coral +. I got excellent growth and good coloration. However, bias towards blue + slightly washed out non-reflective purple coloration of my Montipora monaseriata.

I have recently started to switch to the following combination:

3 Blue + 2 Coral + 1 purple +, 1 Aquablue special and 1 actinic (all ATI). I borrowed this combination from Scotty's tank thread.

I have not started to use the purple + bulb yet, but purples and pinks are more vivid and defined so far compared to my old combination.

Most recently I have been using 6 Blue and two purple bulbs on an 8bulb fixture, its working well, with rich color and a nice balance. Color is a personal preference and I would suggest reading through more of the thread to see various combos and pictures of the tanks that use them.
Which blue bulbs are you using?

Getting ready to chang bulbs and I'm thinking of trying the Geisman actinic blue. Here's what I'm thinking.
2 6x36 ati dimmable sunpower.
Each fixture
4 actinic blue
2 coral plus

Or,
3 actinic blue
2 coral plus
1 ati purple plus

Not sure with the Geisman being already heavy in the actinic is it even worth running a purple bulb ?

Getting ready to chang bulbs and I'm thinking of trying the Geisman actinic blue. Here's what I'm thinking.
2 6x36 ati dimmable sunpower.
Each fixture
4 actinic blue
2 coral plus

Or,
3 actinic blue
2 coral plus
1 ati purple plus

Not sure with the Geisman being already heavy in the actinic is it even worth running a purple bulb ?

I like the Geisemann purple lamp.. I did not at first but now that I am used to it I would do it again.. My corals love it and my anthias just glow under it.

I like the Geisemann purple lamp.. I did not at first but now that I am used to it I would do it again.. My corals love it and my anthias just glow under it.

Thanks Dave. Yeah I'm leaning toward my secong choice. I dont want the tank to be to blue so I think the purple will balance it out.

Up until two weeks ago, I ran 5 Blue+ and 3 Coral +. I got excellent growth and good coloration. However, bias towards blue + slightly washed out non-reflective purple coloration of my Montipora monaseriata.

I have recently started to switch to the following combination:

3 Blue + 2 Coral + 1 purple +, 1 Aquablue special and 1 actinic (all ATI). I borrowed this combination from Scotty's tank thread.

I have not started to use the purple + bulb yet, but purples and pinks are more vivid and defined so far compared to my old combination.

Comparing the combined spectrums, this is actually very close to 2 purple and 6 blue. Since I had all the bulbs, I set up the Scotty combo, adjusted the camera with fixed Speed, ISO, and White Balance. This is that combo:

image_zpsm7odfjh7.jpeg

This is 2 purple and 6 blue:

image_zpsizbns9ze.jpeg

The two combos are pretty close

How does it compare to the ATI purple?

Pretty close I guess. The Giesemann seems to have a little more red or pop to it.. But when I ran the ATI purple I had all ATI bulbs and a different combo of lights. .. I still run then down on my frag tanks but next order I am switching to all Giesemann

I run all Giesemann on my main tank so it really hard to say what a individual lamp is like by its self...

Back