The T5 Q&a Thread - split

I finally ordered new bulbs and went with the above suggestion..... my 6 bulb ATI sunpower has two channels that I run to create the dawn/dusk effect ("blues" going on 1 hour prior and off 1 hour after whites go off)

channel 1 (Blues):
channel 2 (whites):

from back to front
channel 1
channel 2
channel 1
channel 1
channel 2
channel 1

the order I was thinking is:

Actinic Blue
Aquablue Azure
Fiji Purple
Super Actinic
Aquablue Azure
Blue +

My question is what is the best order for these bulbs to be in and should the dawn/dusk effect still be used with this combo or should they just all come on at the same time, open to all suggestion?

The order looks good to me. You want to make sure that you get an even spread and don't put similar bulbs next to each other which you have done for the most part. Other than that it is really up to your personal preference. For dawn/dusk...I would still do it but not sure the aquablues are best for this. May want to try the blue bulbs in those slots but again it is your preference

The T5 Q&a Thread - split

I use the 2 bulb channel for dawn/dusk effects, but use one actinic blue and one aquablue azure. I only run it for one hour in the am and pm. 8 hours with all bulbs on

I use the 2 bulb channel for dawn/dusk effects, but use one actinic blue and one aquablue azure. I only run it for one hour in the am and pm. 8 hours with all bulbs on

I really like that idea, could you please provide your programing schedule break down for me as I have the same fixture.:D

I use a Fiji pink and blue+ for my dawn/dusk as this combo picks up the reds/orange/pinks in the tank better. I did try a pure actinic in place of the blue+ but was not a fan.

Hey guys, looking for some knowledge! T-5 noob but I bought a 4-24w ATI sunpower and Inhave no idea what bulbs to get. The tank is 36x10x12

The tank will be lps with a few sps. Thanks in advance!

I really like that idea, could you please provide your programing schedule break down for me as I have the same fixture.:D

I can but I don't really use the dimming at all

Channel 1. Bulbs 2 & 5

1200 on
1200 100%

2200 100%
2201 OFF

channel 2 bulbs 1,3,4 and 6

1300 on
1300 100%
2100 100%
2100 off

That just from memory. I'll double check and edit later

Bulbs from front to back are:

Blue plus
Actinic blue
Gman super purple
Blue plus
Aquablue azure
Actinic Blue

If a typical T5 lasts 6-8 months with normal use then how long will a T5 last if used 3 hours daily? This is for my peak midday T5s that I run 2.5 hours daily.

If a typical T5 lasts 6-8 months with normal use then how long will a T5 last if used 3 hours daily? This is for my peak midday T5s that I run 2.5 hours daily.

At least a year, Id really only be worried if the bulb was not from one of the big three(ATI, Giesemann, KZ). I think Andrew Graham left his T5s in place for 15 months and we should all be so lucky to have results like his...

With a good fixture Like ATIs with active cooling I think the idea that bulbs will only last 6-8 months isn't really applicable. Most of the time these fixtures are generating more PAR than we need anyhow, so a little par loss isn't the end of the world.

So I did something I rarely do, I just went for it on my new T5 bulbs, using a couple of the newer Geisemann bulbs I've never used before.
I'm used to ATI bulbs and usually do the KZ fiji, but I got a Geisemann reflexx and figured I'd follow suit.
So I went w/ this, front to back;
Aquablue coral
Actinic blue
Super purple
Aquablue azure
So far I like it, like a crisp whitish blue 12K look.
Of course I just set up and only have new white rock, I'm wondering how I will like this w/ corals, but I think it should be fine.
I also have two Panorama pro LED strips that help.
I'm curious if anyone has tried these bulbs, anyone think I should change the order of them or anything?
I have not played around w/ switching them around just yet.

Been out of the T-5 Bulb manufacturer game awhile, I have seen less and less of UVL bulbs around lately anyone know what is going on? need to get some UVL Actinic White bulbs T-5 and can't seem to find any?

Not sure where to purchase the whites, the blues are still available at Marine Depot and BRS, but for a couple of bucks more you should get the vastly superior bulbs that ATI or Giesemann make, IMO.

What would be a good replacement for the UVL Actinic White?

Wanted to add this picture for a comparison of ATI and Giesemann blue lamps.

Right to left, G Super Actinic, G Aquablue Azure, G Actinic Blue, G Actinic Blue, Purple+, Blue+.

ibCDc9.jpg

I like the Aquablue Azure, it has much better color that the Aquablue Special, and matches up well with a purple+. My new favorite blue bulb is Actinic Blue. Look how blue these are compared to the Blue+, and the look in the tank is spectacular. PAR is nearly equivalent best I can tell with my meter.

If I had to choose I would still pick coral+ over the Aquablue Azure but I doubt I ever buy a blue+ again. I have not tried Giesemann's Purple or Coral equivalent.

Right to left, G Super Actinic, G Aquablue Azure, G Actinic Blue, G Actinic Blue, Purple+, Blue+.

ibCDc9.jpg

I like the Aquablue Azure, it has much better color that the Aquablue Special, and matches up well with a purple+. My new favorite blue bulb is Actinic Blue. Look how blue these are compared to the Blue+, and the look in the tank is spectacular. PAR is nearly equivalent best I can tell with my meter.

If I had to choose I would still pick coral+ over the Aquablue Azure but I doubt I ever buy a blue+ again. I have not tried Giesemann's Purple or Coral equivalent.
Would you say the perceived brightness of the G Actinic blue is the same as the ati blue+? Brighter? Dimmer?

A little dimmer visually due to the lack of green, but colors in the tank are much richer.
Never having seen the bulb color, I am trying to think of a comparison that might hold true of the actinic blue vs blue+ and was wondering if it is similar to say the led 460nm blue vs 450nm royal blue difference in color?
That actinic blue in your pic looks deeper like a royal blue vs regular blue on the b+ tube.

ibCDc9.jpg

What is the line up front to back, I have almost this same combo but have 2 aqua blue azure and it's a little white for me.

What is the line up front to back, I have almost this same combo but have 2 aqua blue azure and it's a little white for me.

The right side is the front. IMO in order to use the azure you need to pair it with something else, in my case the purple plus looks good, but if I have the purple in front the tank looks purple. :)

Last edited:
Never having seen the bulb color, I am trying to think of a comparison that might hold true of the actinic blue vs blue+ and was wondering if it is similar to say the led 460nm blue vs 450nm royal blue difference in color?
That actinic blue in your pic looks deeper like a royal blue vs regular blue on the b+ tube.

Royal BLue LED, to me, looks purple/blue. The best description, to my eyes, is the the G Actinic Blue looks like a solid blue with no hint of green or purple while the blue+ is a little on the blue/green side. I tried to match the picture to best show what my eyes are seeing but looking here on my work monitor everything looks a little too dark. You can see the color difference, but it is not that deep a blue.

Is the G Actinic blue the same as the Actinic + just rebranded?

Not sure Joe, I thought all the bulbs were redesigned.

Not sure Joe, I thought all the bulbs were redesigned.

me either, I had used G Actinic+ for years and switched to the ATI Blue+ about 6 months ago, and never got a chance to try their new actinic blue bulbs, I always thought they were just the same as the old Actinic+ just re-branded.

the color I think is a bit of preference, but the going from their old G Actinic+ to the ATI Blue+ the little bit of green in the Blue+ was pretty apparent to me, I like the ATI better though, mostly because I felt the the G was a little too uniform blue, and the ATI brings out some more color. If you try the KZ Super Blue T5 that seemed to be between the G and the ATI.

Is the G Actinic blue the same as the Actinic + just rebranded?

No, they changed up the phosphors somewhat. It definitely is more blue than blue green and is richer. An LFS near me runs Giesemann exclusively and uses only the actinic blue and super purple bulbs and it looks pretty good. I don't like the purple and blue plus combo as much because of the extra green in the spectrum.

Back